Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Should I become a Pharmacy Technician?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Should I become a Pharmacy Technician?

i am not going to agree or disagree. i just graduated highschool and i dont have the life experiance to give you that some of these guys do but i know you can't be happy unless you love what you do. think you'd like it? go for it. i know that im spending a ton on my education now just so i can enjoy a job that might get me 50,000 a year because i know ill be happy

Old 08-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Location: Granger, Indiana (Next to South Bend and Notre Dame)

I'm definitely going to collage, I actually plan to go to med school to become a doctor. I'm just thinking this might be a good way to help relieve the amount of student loans that I'll need to take out.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:24 PM

if you want to be a doctor then go for it. thats an experiance youd be hard pressed to top. not to mention how good it would look on your resume that uve been in the medical feild since HS

Old 08-13-2008, 10:44 PM

im in hospitals everyday working on narcotic machines and servers and such. they actually dont have a bad job but you pretty much do all the bitch work but the pay isnt that bad for a start. its a step in the positive direction but the decision is totally up to you.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do wot you want, but everyone treats the guy/girl in the Pharmacy like their a Doctor & your going to be privy to some pretty disgusting stuff even if you dont want to.

Old 08-13-2008, 11:29 PM

Eh unless you are planning on going to school for pharmacy then I wouldnt do it. I only say this because there is no way to move up or be promoted unless you get your degree. So you could be stuck there making 9 bucks an hour. I would find a job you can work your way up in. But if your planning to go to college and earn a degree then I think any job thats works around your schedule is a good one. My friend is a pharm tech and has been working at walgreen for 2 years. He is in pre pharm tho and this helps to line up a job when you get out of school.

Old 08-14-2008, 02:03 AM

Fitz has a good point. Be sure what ever job you do get, ithas flexible hours. Your class schedule will change from semester to semester.

If you want to be doctor, find a job through the college that will give you flexibility with work and study. Your going to need a lot of study time as the career path you have chosen is not an easy one.

If it were me, I'd study to get my LPN license. They make decent money, (usually about 16-18 an hour) and its not that long to get the job. about ayear and half.Find a nursing home to work in on an off shift. You will have most of your shift to study as Nurses are basically in those homes in case of emergencies and rounds, the rest of the time can be to study. Plus, the classes you take to become a LPN will go towards becoming a doctor, so no lost time.. Also, if you are already in the medical field, there are programs out there that will help you advance to the level you want...... meaning pay for your college to become a doctor, or at least reimburse you through the state as long as the field your working towards is in demand.

Old 08-14-2008, 07:05 AM
VP

I was a pharmacy tech for at least 3 years when I was working through college...

There's no reason in a million years anyone would have to go to certification school to be a tech...it's a waste of your money. Before you enroll in the school, check with the pharmacist to see if you actually get paid more to be certified; I never heard anyone get paid more because they took a class that made them "certified". To be honest with you, every time I heard someone tell me they took the class they had no freakin idea what was going on. Just get hired on and you will learn everything you need to know on the job.