Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Saved a highside today!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Saved a highside today!

Phew that was a close call! I've never been down on my bike in the 2 1/2 years I've been riding. I consider myself a very safe, conscience rider. With that said I just got home from my commute on the bike 2 days ago. I was getting off the freeway and I was taking it easy since the roads were very wet. I was going over in my head what I would do if my tires slipped while I was in the middle of the freeway ramp. So I was almost out of the turn and decided to "check" the traction by giving it a little throttle. Bad idea. The rear end stepped out left immediately! I just did what I was thinking in my head just seconds earlier. I hugged the tank with my knees, loosened my arms up and let off the throttle while looking ahead and through the corner. I didn't panic, I didn't have time to panic lol. As soon as I let off the throttle the bike straightened back up and all was well. Then my heart started racing lol! Take it easy out there boys and girls, these wet roads are very slick!

Old 10-03-2009, 03:22 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah you gotta be careful in the wet!! Easily done , similar thing happened to me last time I had a new rear tyre , was scrubbing it in , but it was a bit damp and the back end got really out of shape coming around a fast left-hander

Dunno about gripping the tank with my knees , I think I was gripping the seat with my butt cheeks , scares the cr4p otta ya!

Take care

Old 10-03-2009, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
Yeah you gotta be careful in the wet!! Easily done , similar thing happened to me last time I had a new rear tyre , was scrubbing it in , but it was a bit damp and the back end got really out of shape coming around a fast left-hander

Dunno about gripping the tank with my knees , I think I was gripping the seat with my butt cheeks , scares the cr4p otta ya!

Take care
Yeah brother, not a warm and fuzzy feeling at all!

Old 10-03-2009, 09:50 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You got to be careful when riding her wet. You could slip and fall into a hole!

Well, seriously, I had to ride in the rain about 10 time so far this season because I got caught while riding home from school. My usual tenancy is to take it very easy and I rarely lean when it is raining due to bikes having thin tires to begin with, but more so because all roads are slippery when wet. City streets are even worse when wet because man hole covers, ground paint, train tracks, etc all add extra hazardous conditions when wet and can easily cause a rider to go down.

Stay safe!

Old 10-03-2009, 11:31 PM

I crashed a few times on my dual sport on the street in the rain.
I was a complete hooligan riding that thing, it was so much fun.

I did the exact same thing as you, I just goosed the throttle to "test" the traction and I fell on my side! Talk about being dumb huh?

I don't count the XR600 crashes because I was always pushing that thing past it's limits. Including 5th gear power slides in bouquet canyon on knobbies :P

About 9 months ago I had a VFR and I took it through the canyons deliberately when it was raining, It was such a rush and the power was so tractable on it. I loved that bike and it really taught me how to ride canyons.

Old 10-05-2009, 03:41 AM
Official CBRF Welcome Crew Undercover Agent
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Friday I went up in the mountains, and it was like 45° up there. I took this hairpin turn I'm familiar with at the usual speed, and past the apex, the front wheel started to slide for about 5 ft. I've hit light gravel before, but this was due to cold tires & pavement. For sure I thought I'd be kissing pavement, but miraculously I was able to regain grip somehow. The rest of the trip I rode as though the road was ice; scared the heck out of me.