Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

10/16 UPDATE: My Highside Accident today w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2006, 07:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 10/16 UPDATE: My Highside Accident today w/pics

Here’s a rundown of Thursday’s accident:
Rode out to Hermann Mo. on Hwy 94 ~60 miles one way. Perfect day for a long ride. Was coming back about 10 miles east of Hermann, approaching a left hand sweeper with the apex at the crest of the hill. Going 70 mph I went a little bit wide (I usually go wide anyway on left handers so the rest of me isn’t over the double yellow), well, there was a patch of loose gravel and hay right in my line and coasted through it, no gas. Back end slid out a little and I high sided big time, to the right side. I went airborne and did my best impersonation of superman. The high side catapulted me about 7 or so feet in the air and I flew about maybe 20 feet until touching back down again. I ended up landing in 4 foot tall weeds and tumbled down an embankment which was about 45 degrees steep and 10 feet below the road, and tumbled hard at about a 45 degree angle in relation to the road. Right as I hit, I saw a blue/black streak then I just saw sky and grass, sky and grass, repeatedly. I think I tumbled about 10-15 times, hard to say, until a barb wire fence stopped me. I was face down, and hurting pretty bad. I was able to move fingers and toes, no head injury as I could count, do part of the alphabet and knew which day it was. So, my left arm got tangled in the barb wire and the back of my neck felt as though it was on fire. I touched it with gloved hands only to find blood. Great. I take off the helmet try to call 911 and no service. I hear a car go by, but they did not see me. I get up able to move ok and head for the road. As I’m waiting for another car to drive by I’m looking for the bike. Where is it? I can’t find it! So a car comes up the road and I flag them down. Nice couple, retired and live in the area. They treated me with paper towels and bottled water as I sit on the tailgate of their Subaru wagon. The husband walks off and points to my bike. Ok, that’s squared away. They were nice enough to drive me to the urgent care facility in Washington, about 20 miles away. As soon as I walk in, all eyes are on me. I must have looked a sight. I kept asking about my neck and they said to stop showing them because it was gross. I thought that was pretty comforting. They check me out, clean up my neck and look over other stuff like neck, back, kidneys, lungs and that kind of stuff. Gave me a tetanus shot because of the fence and threw down a few Tylenol. Got some prescriptions for antibiotics and pain killers, namely vicadin. Left there and met mom and dad who came out to get me and the bike.
Go out to find the bike. Pulled off where it happened and it required some searching. Turns out, it was on the other side of the barb wire fence, 20 feet back from where I had landed. How did it get on the other side? Fence was not damaged, didn’t slide under it. It flew during all the tumbling. Glad it didn’t land on me. Could also see a very clear path where I went and where the bike went through the weeds, looked like a crop circle type deal where every single weed was pushed over forming a perfect path. Pieces of the bike were about 50 feet from where the bike landed. I pulled the bike to hopefully right it, but I couldn’t because I hurt so bad. Pulled the grab bar and it broke off in my hands, one side the welds broke, on the other it took some of the subframe with it.
Tow truck came out and drove through the gate (the field was a cow pasture, currently not in use) and we lifted it up only to see a bunch more damage and oil leaking everywhere. Got it out and towed it back to the house for inspection and pictures for insurance purposes (mainly for me). It looks pretty toasted, every body fairing is broken, gas tank is mangled, subframe bent, clipons hosed, leaking oil from the head somewhere is my current guess.
I’m extremely sore now and think I’ve got some bruised internals. It hurts to sit down, it hurts to stand up, climbing stairs is a chore. I basically hurt everywhere big

Old 10-06-2006, 07:25 AM
Default RE: My Highside Accident today w/pics

and more...

[IMG]local://upfiles/4409/071532B6C4714AA88E95CDCF3C6D5AD4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4409/3DE392CF170146458338FF646524B7E8.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4409/993F931194814A419F38D59BAB0DAB48.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4409/4E19CB1D5D41485BB478AC0B13297A0A.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4409/E39EA6E2366D4F8A91756C21963B6A1B.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-06-2006, 07:26 AM

and the last batch of pics...

[IMG]local://upfiles/4409/C5D832B5962D4A339A0D9F9A1F5411DD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4409/E76AA1BB46BA47F7BFB95C4BA514E1AE.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4409/C6118F1081744ED3AC1666BD77399907.jpg[/IMG]

Old 10-06-2006, 10:26 AM

dude- that sucks! You are so lucky to have walked away from it. couple feet over
and you could have hit the fence post instead of just the fence.

glad you were wearing your gear and are ok-relatively speaking

pretty sure the bike is totalled,

Old 10-06-2006, 10:40 AM

Wow man. That just ran shivers down my spine. Just this morning on my way into work I almost wreckd big time. I was approaching a somewhat busy intersection at a moderate pace, about 50mph, when I see an SUV pulling up to her stop sign on the right side. I have no stop sign, but for some reason I knew she was going to try to beat me. I watched her carefully, sitting at the stop sign looking left and right. She looked right at me as I was about 50 feet from the intersection, and then darts out into the road. The thing is, she must have known she wasn't going to beat me, so she slammed on her brakes in the middle of the road, RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME. At this point I was about 20 feet away, and all I could do was pull a hard left into on coming traffic and go around her. Luckily I was able to get back in my own lane before I hit someone head on!

Anyway, coming to work after that happened, and then seeing those pictures, man Ihave chills now. I almost don't even want to ride home this afternoon!

Old 10-06-2006, 11:09 AM

Holy crap.

Glad you're still with us - you were bloody lucky with the neck injury (but you probably know that already..!)

Have a speedy recovery.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn white. glad you made it out in one piece. good thing you were wearing gear. you really destroyed that thing too! pretty sure its totalled as well. oh well, atleast you walked away. get well soon.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:41 PM

Holy crap, Darrell!!

You're beautiful, shiny F4i!!! I can't believe it.

I'm really glad to hear you're OK though. You were certainly fortunate to come out of it relatively unscathed. That neck injury could've been a lot worse.

I still can't believe my eyes looking at pics of your bike.

I'll give a call this weekend and maybe come take a look at your bike -- if you feel up to it.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:46 PM

Wow man I'm glad to hear you're out of the hospital especially after seen the pics of the bike. BTW how's the undertail I still haven't bought one wana sell it? =D Heal up quick man and again glad to hear you're alive, I guess it pays to wear gear huh? =)

Mike

Old 10-06-2006, 01:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo DWHITEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!11

sorry to hear mang...heal up quick...
looks like you have full coverage so it's all good! glad you were able to walk away despite the aerial acrobatics!

what? what's that i hear? what? oh...07RR....oh.....i hear it calling...

Quick Reply: 10/16 UPDATE: My Highside Accident today w/pics