Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2006, 12:28 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Riding in the rain

Sometime, you'll ride in the rain... If it wasn't when you started out... it will catch ya , sometime !!!!!!!!!!! Might as well practice, and get that terror out of the way!!!!!!!!! I realy don't give it a thought anymore, exept for a bit dif technique. It truely is a diff world out there in the rain... all the dust washed away, colors just come alive, alert, into it (better be). It's better to learn at your own choice, than have to face a rainy night in traffic, w/o any experiance !!!!!!!!!!!! A real feeling of acomplishment, heck of a rush, too!!!!!!!!

Many of you may have read my post about doing 85 in a torrental down pour, before the snow sheds on Snoqualimi pass, WA. I felt I had to get in front of several semi's, as I had 15' visability in a "rain out", following these guys. New tires (broke in) and went for it, in big sweeeping corners, healed over,well above what seamed prudent... not a slip, wobble, nothing!!!!!! I broke free of there spray and imeadiatly knew, I hade made the right choice. We need to be aware of the way rain is draining across the lane too, as there can be alot more chance to hydroplane. Practice will teach you to recognize this sort of hazard, common in rain. The best way to learn, is to read, ask, (good topic chyl) and practice w/ prudence. Your confidence will soar !!!!!!!!, as you learn. It truely will get easy'r, w/ WAY less terror !!!!!!!!

There are "wet" racers out there, that really shine because of there technique... Smooth, and practiced. They are virtualy unbeatable.
Yes, racers have "wets" (tires) to race w/... but the top speed race'n, they say... only drops about 10% !!!!!!!!

Short shifting ( at lower rpm),ride'n in a higher gear, not in the "meaty" part of the powerband, not shifting jerky, smooth on the clutch, matching rpm well on down shifts. No sudden inputs steering/ brake'n, all the time being aware of the surface and contamination... oil, antifreeze, road debri. That "center of the lane ride'n" will put you down fast. Come'n off at freeway off ramp ,to a stop... takes some forsight, as brake'n will be farther.
White lines, intersections,the road at lights, are all slicker. Ya know them dang cars, are goofy too. flashing your brake lights reapeatedly, to help 'em notice you, is a good technique to help them beat a steamy windshield, or low light conditons, that can come w/ clouds and rain. Ride agressivly enough to keep from everybody destroying your visability, when they pass. If you don't have confidence/ experiance enough, to be on a freeway in rain, go practice on safer side roads more. Thats just is common sense and wise... you'll get safer and more confident.

Go out and learn and enjoy... it's a ride you just can't get in the dry !!!!!!!!!! Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 10-20-2006, 03:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: CBR600F3rider

maybe I'm weird, but I love riding in the rain... I don't know what it is about it, but it's a blast.

Yeah, me too. For some reason I like riding at night. Something is wrong with us, lol.

Old 10-20-2006, 03:11 AM
VP

Yeah, me too. For some reason I like riding at night. Something is wrong with us, lol.
Well I love riding at night but I hate riding in the rain. So... I don't know.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:17 PM
Retired Moderator

good work guys...lots to consider. The bike is still at the shop so I may get a dry day afterall. I, too, love to ride at night as long as it is not freezing cold.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:40 PM

Just take your time to read the road and the other users , make sure you hold your road position. Don't get too snatchy on the breaks and drag your back brake smoothly when stopping at junctions / lights.
I ride in most weathers, but have to say I draw the line when it comes to icy conditions. Over here in blighty, its always bloody raining so you just get used to it.

Old 10-20-2006, 01:44 PM

i love riding in the rain! (except the dirty bike part) every corner i do a huge *** power slide! and i can do 50 mph burnouts! its fun as hell! but if youv never slid your bike before i wouldnt try it on your street bike lol.. just take the corners like your on gravel and you will be good to go if its your first time in the rain...