Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2006, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default riding in the rain

what are some of the dangers of riding when wet / in the rain?

Old 08-29-2006, 03:40 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy
Default RE: riding in the rain

ummm dont want to sound like a jack *** but you could dump your bike , lose traction and hit something ummm pretty much obvious things that have to do with traction and water ... do u mean what are potential problems to your bike when riding in the rain or just in general ?

Old 08-29-2006, 05:06 PM

there just isn't enough room to tell you here........................................tar strips metal grates lack of bit to your brakes, everyone else appears to go blind temporarily i could go on and on and on...................................ZZZZZZZZZZZZZ Z

Old 08-29-2006, 07:15 PM

both.. i know its dangerous cuz ur only on two wheels and its wet, obviously, but i just wanted to know if theres more to it than just traction

Old 08-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I try to look out for diesal & oil, does not mix well with water. You can see it (sometimes) as a rainbow colour on the road.
Increase your stopping distances, ride the torque curve in corners to slow you down, rather than the brakes. And always buy the best tyres you can afford. Get some decent wet weather gear.
But the best advice I can give you, just stay calm and relaxed, the more you ride in the rain, the more you get used to it. And supprisingly enough, it can be fun.

Old 08-29-2006, 11:10 PM

i agree pacemeker, as a noob, i rode in winter, so it rained more often then not, after the initial packing **** coz i spotted a few drops on my visor and heading straight to the nearest cover, i eventually adjusted. i really enjoy it now, providing of course that its not terrential and i can still see where i'm going. its actually quite relaxing, i find that i stop trying and just fall back into my comfort zone. it often turns into a very comforting cruise.

dont let your leathers get too wet though, my jacket is noticeably smaller than when i got it.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:24 AM

I live in the Seattle area....tons of rain for lots of the year...aside from the obvious, traction, increased maintenance ect...lack of visability, being uncomfortable in the rain=distraction....so on, just my .02, just use good ole common sense when riding in the rain.

Old 08-30-2006, 03:30 AM

When it's raining and I'm riding, I just go slower and am more careful.

One thing to try not to do is wipe my visor, it just smears and makes it harder to see.

Old 08-30-2006, 04:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey troop, Up snoqualmi, rain out cloudburst, have'n to pass semi's, to see, at 85, 2 1/2 feet from barriers. I LOVE WA. !!!!!!!!!! I loved those 501 gt tires, on that vf1000 intercepter !!!!!!!!1
Rain is a wonderfull place to sharpen your "smooth" skills. I used to just lean it over so aprehensivly, to the point i felt like i would always run wide and crash... Truth is, lean that thing over and corner, Smoothly, no sudden input ,gas or brakes, down shifting, ect. Those tires, if good in rain and good shape, will do the rest. I slow down enough, but i don't pussyfoot, as that dosen't allow the tires to do there job properly. Early in the rain, is slick city, watch for the froth to disapear, much better traction then. Were blessed ,in the GPNW, to get the oppertunity to learn how to ride safely in the rain, it's a whole different world of beautiful colors and impressions. Well worth, the ride.The sport ouring forums, have lots to say, about weather too... see you out there!!!!!!!!!! Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 08-30-2006, 07:46 AM

[&:] riding in the rain? ...hmm...did that just day before yesterday...haha. its REALLY NOT RECOMMENDED...but i guess i dint care at the time...its very unpredictable with lots of dangers n such...but as i heard somewhere in this forum it makes you use alot of good riding habits/techniques...like braking and stuff...yeah something like that haha...

...but still its NOT a good idea besides you be soaked...[&:]

Quick Reply: riding in the rain