Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Riding in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 06:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding in the rain

Yeah, I guess I'll do some research. Thanks.

Old 10-17-2006, 07:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double your braking distances, look out "rainbow" coloured patches (diesel or oil), carry some decent wet weather gear.
Most important advice, RELAX. Riding in the rain is going to happen to everyone that rides. I've done rides where it's pissed down for the entire week-end, and had a great time!.

Old 10-17-2006, 08:20 PM

Be very careful on turns even the slow ones and just do what others pretty much said.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:25 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Chyl... what ??????... it rains.. around Seattle ???!!!!! You'll be fine. I used to tip toe arond when it rains, but after reading alot... it seams that tires work properly when you go a head and feed a reasoable load ito them... even when it rains !!!!!!!! Many rags /forums /riders, say that the wierd stuff feed into tires steering from trying not to turn, is a goofy signal, not what the bike is "designed" to do. Be reasonable, ( once the "suds" on the road is gone) but you actualy can corner, pretty close to a normal "legal"way.
Centers of lanes , fresh rain, painted lanes, hydroplaning,esp. camber induced run off, spacing of vehicles, heavy handed brake'n, typical perils... But you do have a choice to "loosen up", lean it over reasonably, watch 360 d around you. Lousy gear, means wet & cold... slowing response time. those diabloes on special at cycle gear, on the 28 only, are good rain tires... I've read. Pilot P's are good too. Go down to the renton motorsports (w/ the indoor flat track) hunt up "august " the racer guy, and watch his rainy ride, on some really tight mt. stuff at up to 135mph, on Pilot P's... It will freak you out !!!!!!!!! He swears by 'em.
Ride'n technique/ good equipment/ experiance, is the key to safely negotiating the rain. Check out sport touring/ touring forums for tips, these guys ride through it all !!!!!!!!!!!
Clean and free, Ripp'n

Old 10-19-2006, 04:31 PM

maybe I'm weird, but I love riding in the rain... I don't know what it is about it, but it's a blast.

Old 10-19-2006, 04:39 PM

When you engine brake your using the friction from the engine that is being transfered to your transmission. When you engine brake you can slow down 3 times faster than normal front and rear brake combos. Therefore if you can slow down 3x's faster (Might be more) then obviously your going to have more friction transfer and heat build up. You can tell if your tires are properly warmed up by comparing it to the beginning of the ride, when you test the traction by engine braking. If your rear is still sliding then obviously they aren't warm yet. Give it about a mile or 2 and they should start to stick. It's simple really, don't over-think it, just do it, Nike.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:02 PM

Wear warm gear. It gets cold as a **** in the rain!

Mike

Old 10-19-2006, 05:43 PM
VP

Wear warm gear. It gets cold as a **** in the rain!
+1 ....True that bro. If you're uncomfortable riding it can translate into making mistakes which can be quite hazardous.

Old 10-19-2006, 05:52 PM

i rode in the rain once.....i never do it again.... I spent three hours wiping my bike down from all the oil on the road...dirt.... trust me its not worth it..!!!!!

Old 10-19-2006, 11:45 PM

ORIGINAL: ddvs

When you engine brake your using the friction from the engine that is being transfered to your transmission. When you engine brake you can slow down 3 times faster than normal front and rear brake combos. Therefore if you can slow down 3x's faster (Might be more) then obviously your going to have more friction transfer and heat build up. You can tell if your tires are properly warmed up by comparing it to the beginning of the ride, when you test the traction by engine braking. If your rear is still sliding then obviously they aren't warm yet. Give it about a mile or 2 and they should start to stick. It's simple really, don't over-think it, just do it, Nike.
No offense man but that seems a little off... Someone who is a beginning rider shouldn't be messing around with too much engine braking in the rain - letting the clutch out too far without matching rpms is gonna make the rear get out of shape quick, warm tires or not.

Quick Reply: Riding in the rain