Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Riding in bad conditions: How well does your bike handle it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding in bad conditions: How well does your bike handle it?

Between the months of May thru September I pay no mind to weather man. A little water is good for you.My CBRsnever really feltlike they werejust unstable or unsafe to ride really in any type of bad weather minus snow. My first ride on my 06 (last Feb) was aterible 13 mile ride in about an inch of snow from the dealer back home. Never again will I ride in the snow.Rode like a turtle freezing my *** off worring about throwing my bike away.

Old 03-05-2007, 01:28 AM
Banned

I'm just gonna go ahead and respond to your post, I haven't read the replies...

I've ridden my F3 in everything. I bought it October 5th, and have since put 7K miles on it (and counting, today was great!).

The first bad weather was at work. I worked overnight and had a meeting that lasted until 12:30 the next afternoon. It started sleeting at about 8am. When I walked out to my bike, it was covered in about an inch of ice. As the bike was warming up, I was chipping away at ice on the seat, tank and clip-ons. I had two choices for going home (leaving the bike wasn't an option). Choice one was take the highway, which would have been a 7 mile bike ride through the city, on an overpass the entire 7 miles. Ice + bridge = no way, Jose.

I rode all the way through the city white-knuckled the whole time. But I made it. I had to ride in 6th gear at about 3K RPM's going maybe 20MPH just to keep the rear-end from crawling around to the front.

Then I got caught in two bad snowstorms (the only ones we've had all year). I knew both were coming, but I was doing a bit of "partying" mid-day and lost track of time. About two hours later (the first time), I looked out the window and though, "hey, I've ridden through ice, man."

Second snow-storm was similar. Snuck up on me even though I knew it was coming. Came a lot quicker than expected. Again, "hey, I've done it before!"

Now while I would rather have not ridden in that stuff, I refuse to leave my bike anywhere I'm not unless it's my house. Say what you will, it might catch up with me, it might not. Hopefully I'll just start paying closer attention to the weather.

In any case, I learned something new about my bike each time as well as learned something about myself. I am a better rider for having rode through it, though again, it's not a desired situation.

Long story long, your CBR F3 will handle damn near anything you throw at it.

P.S. In those 3 incidents, I drove by multiple car accidents on the way home. I've never been looked at funnier. If they could've heard me, I'da said, "Hey, you got four wheels pal, don't look at me funny!"

You'll love your bike, holmes.

Old 03-05-2007, 03:24 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been stuck in crappy weather conditions before too. Thunderstorms, flooding (yeah, WASN'T FUN!) and just cold weather. The flooding wasn't bad, just drenched from head to toe. When I put my foot down at a stop light, the water was up to my ankles. So yeah, driving 5 mph in flood water WASN'T fun at all, but I didn't feel like my life was in danger going 5 mph........but loosing traction on cold days at 45 mph scares the s**t out of you.

Those cold, dry days catch me off guard. Your tires are cold, the street is cold, and traction is something you don't have (with Dunlop Qualifiers anyway). It got down to 21 last night, and I was riding home from work. COLD and DRY mind you. Rode the 10 freezing minutes towards the highway. Being I was riding for 10 minutes, I figured the tires were warm enough for some sort of traction, so I get on the onramp (going straight), get on the throttle (not WOT, but spirited), and the back end kicks out a bit.......just enough to get your attention and get goosebumps. I remember cussing, then laughing, then thinking "damn, that was a squidy thing to do".

Old 03-11-2007, 09:23 PM

Wow....some of these stories. Yikes!!! Well it sounds like everyone made it home in one piece. In some of those conditions, I'd end up trying to make an excuse to my roadside assitance to get my bike home. (MoTow through the AMA).

squidy thing to do
Blue Fox.... heheee.... I think you just announced yourself as Navy. I'll have to remember that line next time I do something stupid around my Marine friends. Of course, I hope that I either have my running shoes on after I say that or that my bike is feeling extra zippy that day.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:56 PM

when I was riding my 500, even though its not a CBR, its still a semi sportbike kinda bike, not much of any weather stopped me. hurricanes will keep me home and the bike in a garage, but most anything short of that I'll still go out and ride, not as aggressively, but I'll ride.

what you have to know, is you just have to use common sense and be careful when you're in unpleasant conditions.

sportbikes are a little sensitive to wind, I've coped with it by simply tucking down under the windscreen and reducing the overall area the wind can hit to change my course.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:28 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: whenyoure_strange

squidy thing to do
Blue Fox.... heheee.... I think you just announced yourself as Navy. I'll have to remember that line next time I do something stupid around my Marine friends. Of course, I hope that I either have my running shoes on after I say that or that my bike is feeling extra zippy that day.
????? - Navy? Running shoes? - I'M CONFUSED!

Old 03-14-2007, 05:46 PM

Girlfren',
PraiseGod, your questionis "Moo Point"*4U, as you've not adequatebhp to matter. Rotsa Ruck wit dat.
In the name of St. Patrick ! Is that your permanent Avatar ?
D'Raven out.
*As though a cow said it and everybody knows about their type,and so their opinionsare irrelivant!

Old 03-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: pacemaker
My bike handles bad conditions really well. Its me that has the problem.
I would have to agree. For me, the bike probably would handle great, it is me that is the huge meat curtain!

Old 05-01-2007, 10:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox
????? - Navy? Running shoes? - I'M CONFUSED!
All the Navy people I know call the Marines squids and accuse them of doing silly things. It tends to upset Marines, so need to run away fast.

as you've not adequatebhp to matter
Now I'm saying, "huh??"

As an update, so far no bad weather ridden in, but did have some winds. I do find this bike is a bit harder to deal with in winds than my old bike (1983 Yamaha Maxim 750), though ducking down does help some. It appears to be fine for distance riding, though I need a few more breaks until I get my endurance up. It's awesome at higher speeds. Gotta slap that throttle hand a bit before I get myself a terrible speeding ticket. Oh, and it vibrates like no tomorrow starting around 7000 RPMs.