Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Riders who have no street experience

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Riders who have no street experience

*Before anyone goes nuts...I know there are plenty of track riders who would smoke my butt x 20..so relax. Not taking anything away from you guys.

I've read a few forums at more than a few sites and it seems that there are more sport bike riders who have never set more than 20 miles on their odometers by riding on the street.

While I admire that in some ways and will soon be making my bike into an 80% Track Day bike, I still can't comprehend how anyone, Pros included, can say they are riders but have little to no street experience.

Yeah, most street riding can be dull, but there are alot of things you can learn and some of it is fun.

Your thoughts?

Old 07-12-2007, 10:44 PM
Default RE: Riders who have no street experience

I talk from street side since I've never been on a track and probably never will since I dont know where one is. LOL

Street riding will #1 enhance your reaction time. You dont have to be going fast while someone is pulling out in front of you and you have o.....I dont know less than a second to react. "Can I swerve over more?, should I break (how hard)?, speed past? "Hey what's the idiot on the cell phone driving that huge *** H2 with his blinker on for the past 5 miles gonna do?"

Road conditions change ever mile. From good to bad to dirt (if you're not paying attention). I just love those no gravel tar roads when they're wet. [sm=smiley21.gif]

When I'm bored I go on long trips around the city or out of the city limits. I like to find back roads to test out my tires, test out how well I can take corners, and what the hell to do when a varmit runs out in the middle of the road. LOL

Old 07-12-2007, 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: rangerscott

I talk from street side since I've never been on a track and probably never will since I dont know where one is. LOL

Street riding will #1 enhance your reaction time. You dont have to be going fast while someone is pulling out in front of you and you have o.....I dont know less than a second to react. "Can I swerve over more?, should I break (how hard)?, speed past? "Hey what's the idiot on the cell phone driving that huge *** H2 with his blinker on for the past 5 miles gonna do?"

Road conditions change ever mile. From good to bad to dirt (if you're not paying attention). I just love those no gravel tar roads when they're wet. [sm=smiley21.gif]

When I'm bored I go on long trips around the city or out of the city limits. I like to find back roads to test out my tires, test out how well I can take corners, and what the hell to do when a varmit runs out in the middle of the road. LOL
Hilarious...and true stuff...

Old 07-12-2007, 10:49 PM

you know it. I rode past some high schoolers and one jump out at me a little. Wish I would have ran over him just to test of the suspension.

Old 07-13-2007, 12:11 AM

unless you are brought up in racing.. i dont see how you get into racing without riding on the street at all?

Old 07-13-2007, 12:24 AM

ORIGINAL: urandaman

unless you are brought up in racing.. i dont see how you get into racing without riding on the street at all?
That depends I think on what level of racing and how serious you were brought up into it.

Lots of flat track and mx riders switched to road course riding with a ton of help from parents, friends, sponsors, etc.

Others don't or just didn't know the right people at the right time.

Anyway, back on topic...

I just find it almost unbelievable that there are guys....super fast on the track...yet have next to zero miles on the street, and who have crashed maybe once...on a track of course.