Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

reckless ticket - va

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2006, 08:17 PM
oNi
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reckless ticket - va

Well i got a reckless driving ticket the other weekend riding my bike down the highway. I was steadily following traffic on I-264 which has a 55 mph speed limit, it's a three lane rode that turns to four. I was riding behind a pack of cars at night around 8pm in the third lane and just as the fourth lane opens up i switch to that lane, give it some throttle to pass the traffic and ride ahead so as to avoid anyone not seeing me and trying to change lanes into me, just as im passing the crowd i spot a cop on the side of the rode and let the throttle off, I pass him with my speedo around the 75mph range, however my speedo is off around 11mph at that range so when it says im doing 65 im really doing 55, when it says 75 im really going 64, etc. But he pulls out, lights come on, and pulls me over. I initially pulled to the left lane which i shouldn't have because it's a small shoulder and as i pull over he pulls next to me and yells to get to the right shoulder as i was going to get us both killed, so i did. He's obviously pissed, probably moreso cuz i pulled to the left which i didnt realize was a small shoulder, asks if i know the speed limit, i stated 55-60, he asks if i knew what i was going and i just shook my head no, he tells me 80 to which i replied, "80?? 80!???....... 80????". He asks for my license, I give it to him, he looks it over and asks if I have a motorcycle license, to which I said yes that's what it says right there. He goes back to his car and takes like 10 mins and comes back with the ticket to sign saying ill be in court and asks "Do you have any QUESTIONS?". Which I didn't really have at the time but he could tell by my expression I wanted to tell my side of the story, which he just ignores my expression and says, "No Questions?".....Have a good evening or something like that, and we both go on our way.

I know, long story, but this is my first reckless ticket, the only previous ticket I had was a speeding one two years ago doing 72 in a 55 which I admitted to and paid the fine. How's yalls experiences with reckless tickets? And anyone ride in va, particularly va beach and gotten one?

Old 09-08-2006, 10:10 PM
Default RE: reckless ticket - va

25 over is reckless? Damn harsh! I would gather the facts, remember everything said and done and get a lawyer.

Some places in SoCal, traffic flows at 20 over the limit, at least! Not legal, but it does.

Old 09-08-2006, 11:42 PM

I think, but not sure, that anything 20 over is considered reckless endangerment. He was probably pissed because another bike ran from him earlier that day, as in the other threads posted here.

Old 09-09-2006, 01:41 AM
Retired Admin

Speeding tickets are easy to beat!! Just do your research.....never admit to it always fight it! Here is the best place to start...ask for documentation and look errors in it that will get the case dismissed quickly....here is a piece from the letter of request I used in my speeding case....

1.) Copies of all manufacturers specifications for the radar or other speed detection device used by Officer Pullen to determine the speed of the vehicle in question. Also copies of any training, operator, and tech manuals for that particular speed detection unit.
2.) Any and all logs used to record daily use, testing and calibration of unit.
3.) All service and maint. Records for the unit in question, along with its tuning forks if applicable and the records of accuracy and testing.
4.) The arresting officers arrest records for the previous year, along with those from the day of the stop in question.
5.) The arresting officer’s certification, training records and qualifications for the radar or other detection device that was used to back up the stop and subsequent issuance of the summons in question.
6.) All repair records of the patrol unit used by Officer Pullen, along with the certification for calibration of that cruisers speedometer.
7.) The Norway PD’s FCC(Federal Communications Commission) License, which authorizes their radar use.

It would be tough to find a cop that has all that right...check your local laws and research research research!!! You can win!! There are books that will help too!! Don't give up man!

Old 09-09-2006, 03:31 AM
oNi

Thanks musichyp, thats what i was looking for. I really feel he was wrong when he said he got me going 80, I been trying to look up stuff online and found some things like what your talking about, I found speedtrap.org and it talked about a 'discovery request' being something that sounds like what you were talking about. Now would I request this before my court date or at court? Plus did you use a lawyer or argue your case yourself? Plus was it reckless by chance?

Thanks again!

Old 09-09-2006, 01:04 PM

For recklesses in VA you have to go to driving school. My wife had to do it when she was still in HS and she said it sucked. Like, 5 nights a week for a month.

Old 09-09-2006, 03:59 PM

Got one in new york.State Trooper towed my bike.Had to have my wife pick me up 1 o'clock in the am.That really sucked.Reckless driving in new york is a misdemenor. Had to get a lawyer and go to court and talk things over with ADA.Kept my liscence and my commercial drivers liscence as well.If I had lost that I would be out of a job.500 dollars it was worth it.Lawyer fees and tickets "4"