Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What do you consider excessive/reckless?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 06:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you consider excessive/reckless?

As a motorcyclist, and not neccessarily within the law, what do you consider being reckless or excessive speed , etc ?

I drive at around 70-80 on any well maintined clear state road. There are many spots that aren't marked for passing, but are well within the capability of my bike to pass safely.
I would never consider wheelies or stunts on open roads. I do not pass between cars, or in emergency lanes or other "non" lanes....not that that makes me any more legal than the next speeder to a cop....

Anyway, the reason I ask is that I had a guy go postal on me earlier today for passing him on a double line. It was an easy clear pass, that no one had to brake or move for me, I was well gone. We were in a country stretch of open state roada few miles inbetween two small (one stoplight) towns. He was the lead car in a group of four I overtook. By the time I passed him I had to be traveling well over 80, and they were going barely over 50. Even after I got back in my lane it was another 1/8 mile or better to oncoming traffic, so I was not rushed.

This guy broke half a dozen laws catching back up to me and getting my attention to raise hell at me at a light in the next town.He tried to claim I ran him off the road to keep from striking me as I pulled in front, and starts yelling at me about how I am the reason cyclists dies, idiots like me, blah blah.

I was suprized. I didn't feel like I "did wrong" so to speak. I mean every day riding a bike like this bend traffic law from time to time, but do you think I was being reckless?

Old 06-10-2007, 07:05 PM
Default RE: What do you consider excessive/reckless?

dont do anything on your bike that you wouldnt do driving your car!!Name:  thumbup.gif
Views: 10
Size:  139 Bytes

Old 06-10-2007, 07:21 PM

there are some crazy people out there... sometimes as much as shaking your head at them when they almost run into you bcuz they dont c u gets them mad at YOU being in THIER way... but you in my book passing like that is part of having a bike... i would not call the dangerous, i myself love to run through the canyons with a buncha buddies and have to pass cars like that ALLL THE TIME. just stay safe and away from the crazies

Old 06-10-2007, 07:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Two sides to every story

Old 06-10-2007, 07:27 PM

ORIGINAL: outsider8

dont do anything on your bike that you wouldnt do driving your car!!

if i were in a car in that same situation.. i would have passed them in a car and not to even think about it once on a bike.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:44 PM
Banned

Double solidyellow is legal I think, Whereas solid whites aren't. Other than that does your bike have a fairly loud pipe and did you scare the guy? Maybe he yelled because he crapped his pants from the noise instead of you doing something reckless?

Let's face it, you cutting in front of the average car ain't gonna make them get 'run off the road', you probably freaked him out because he was snoozing and he woke up cranky.

Old 06-10-2007, 07:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Double yellow is illegal

Old 06-10-2007, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: roki530i

ORIGINAL: outsider8

dont do anything on your bike that you wouldnt do driving your car!!Name:  thumbup.gif
Views: 11

if i were in a car in that same situation.. i would have passed them in a car and not to even think about it once on a bike.
Name:  thumbup.gif
Views: 11

Old 06-10-2007, 08:00 PM

White is only used to mark edges or roads and sometimes the are the hashes.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:01 PM
Banned

Double yellow is illegal
Thanks 'X', I looked it up after your post. Passing on a double is strictly verbotten.

'Double, solid yellow lines prohibit vehicles moving in either direction from crossing the lines. You may not cross these lines unless turning left when it is safe to do so.'

'A solid white line marks the edge of the roadway or separates lanes of traffic moving in the same direction. You may travel in the same direction on both sides of this line, but you should not cross the line unless you must do so to avoid a hazard.'

'Double solid white lines indicate that changing lanes is not allowed.'

Quick Reply: What do you consider excessive/reckless?