Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

What do you consider excessive/reckless?

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What do you consider excessive/reckless?

Double yellow is illegal no matter how you slice it.

To the car's you blew by, yes you were reckless.

To someone that ride's a sportbike and practices these manuevers, no. Not at all.

Doesn't make it legal though.

Old 06-11-2007, 02:58 AM

well, it obviously wasn't legal but I don't see that situation as reckless either assuming you had a clear view of any oncoming traffic and you didn't come within inches of the guys car or anything

I live in the country in Mississippi, its a 30 minute ride to town and because the roads are County Roads the speed limit is like 35mph everywhere which is an absolute joke. 99.9% of it is double yellow, but at least 50% of it is safe for passing so no I'm not gonna follow some old lady for 30 minutes going 20 mph just because of the lines painted on the road.

some people just don't like sportbikes though, you passing them at all will **** them off just for that reason, do it in any illegal way and they may believe they have a justified reason for hating you and may even get confrontational about it as this guy did

Old 06-11-2007, 03:06 AM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Ha you let an old man run down j/k. Sounds like you were within good reason to me.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:36 AM

Just because you CAN pass 4 cars in a row on a bike due to the power and agility doesn't mean you SHOULD.
It may not seem reckless due to the ease you can do things on a bike, but it probably still is.
I am not saying that I haven't done this myself but I am never surprised when someone get irritated when it happens.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:47 AM

Up until about 2 months ago Double Yellow was "suggested" in the state of Maine. That is to say it was not a "primary" offesnse, so you could not get pulled over for it, but if you got pulled over for something else, they could attribute it to reckless driving. This was an easy charge to beat in court, because it is your word against the officers as far as safety-judgement is concerned. Kind of like Yellow speed limit signs, they are suggested as well. You can take a 25mph turn at 50 and if you can prove the condictions were adaquate to do so, then you can get off.

Old 06-11-2007, 04:44 PM

I woulda flipped them the bird as I blew by just for the hell of it!

Old 06-11-2007, 05:33 PM

ORIGINAL: outsider8

dont do anything on your bike that you wouldnt do driving your car!!
I wouldn't take 30mph corners at 80 in my car but I sometimes do it on my bike! =D I personally do not like passing more than one car at a time because you never know when one of those cars will feel like passing the person in front of him andcut you off or run you off the road. BUT if I knew how to do a wheelie I would have passed them up on one and waved.

Old 06-11-2007, 06:14 PM

I would consider that reckless. Like someone mentioned, jsut because you can, doesn't mean you should.

There's a reason why it's double yellow...otherwise, it would've been one solid, one dotted line..

Old 06-11-2007, 10:34 PM

Simply put...Doulble yellow, NO PASSEY!!! Solid line with broken line on your side of fore mentioned solid line, PASSEY OK!!!

Reckless? Yes. Illegal? Yes.The legal system says so.

Do I do it? Yes. Did it 2 hours ago andhad tostop at a backed up intersection behind 20 other cars with the driver of the truck I just passed pulling up behind me. Pretty humiliating. But I enjoy kicking my bike in. Whether its doing 15 or 50 MPH. But it doesn't mean I'm justified. If someone gets upset with me, sorry. Its not personal.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:47 PM

ORIGINAL: MojoWrangler

This guy broke half a dozen laws catching back up to me and getting my attention to raise hell at me at a light in the next town.He tried to claim I ran him off the road to keep from striking me as I pulled in front, and starts yelling at me about how I am the reason cyclists dies, idiots like me, blah blah.
This is an easy one. This JERK was upset for only one reason. You mentioned he was in the lead of four cars. This is where ******** who own the road like to be, in front. When you passed him by, regardless of how close you were when you passed him he was no longer in the front, he was no longer KING. Like the child he is he reacted in kind. In fact, he's such a childish moron he endangered himself and others to get even with the guy that took away his crown. Sadly enough, childish ignorant losers likethis guyare all over the roads and their here to stay. The only thing you can do is distance yourself from people like this as much as possible.

Quick Reply: What do you consider excessive/reckless?