Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Should a bicycle ride in the road?
Yes
44.12%
No
55.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Public roads and bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 03:44 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't understand all the people who say bikes should stay on the sidewalks. I know around here it's illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk.
It's a danger to pedestrians who are walking and coming out of stores and stuff.
Little kids don't get b!tched at much, but I know I did as a teen. Coppers told me several times...even warned that they'd fine me.

And come on you two.... geez...

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 06-08-2010 at 04:35 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-08-2010, 03:48 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
I don't understand all the people who say bikes should stay on the sidewalks. I know around here it's illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk.
It's a danger to pedestrians who are walking and coming out of stores and stuff.
I think that statement depends alot on where u live... here its illegal but no one cares... and there arent enough people out walking for it to be a problem... so ide prefer bikers stay on the sidewalks... but that varies from city to city...

Old 06-08-2010, 07:37 PM

I don't mind bicyclists most of the time but occasionally I've been guilty of swearing up a storm at one when I'm in my car. Around Austin they have a habit of riding on roads with 50+MPH speed limits at times when traffic is out. I understand the need for them for transportation but when I'm stuck doing 15 in a 55 because I can't make it into the left lane to pass my patience wears a LOT thin.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I voted 'no', but with caveat that if the bicyclists stay on the shoulder and ride single file I'm okay with them being there. Those that ride two or three abreast in the lane are a danger to themselves and one devil of an annoyance to motorized vehicles.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:51 PM

Personnally, I only rode my bicycle on small suburb streets. I allways thought it was simply too dangerous to ride on the main streets. I stuck to the sidewalks. But I wasnt one of those lance armstong guys, just a kid with his bike.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:35 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
Of course a bicycle forum wont agree that they shouldnt be on the road. . Do yourself a favor and look up the meaning of poll. In short its a survey for a public opinions. Now if this were Ihatebicyclesforum.com then yes it would be lopsided because they all hate poeple who ride bicycles.Instead this poll is avaiable to people who drive motorcycles, cars and a few who may ride bicycles. So do yourself another favor and look up lopsided while you googling poll.

Dude i dont know how else to say this other than you took it way over board for something that was meant to be funny.
This board is mainly designed to attract people who ride motorcycles, not drive cars, not ride bicycles, etc. The same goes for the poll I put up the other day on the Bicycling Magazine forum as far as it being designed to attract bicycling enthusiasts.

Most of the people over there also own cars and other motor vehicles but it is about bicycling. Same goes for this motorcycling forum and motorcycles. You might be the one who could do a bit of learning about the meaning of the words "lopsided" and "poll".

I don't see anything funny about suggesting smacking a cyclist as you ride past them. By your lack of a reply to my question I directly asked you about how you'd feel if a cager reached out of his car window and smacked you on the head or elsewhere I bet you'd feel the same way if someone did it to you.

Old 06-11-2010, 12:17 PM

My one thought on all this is, Everything that touches the road around here needs to be Licensed. Car, Truck, Motorcycle, scooter, trailer, Camper (it goes in the back of a truck!). If a bicycle is going to use the road it should be licensed as well.

Old 06-11-2010, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
This board is mainly designed to attract people who ride motorcycles, not drive cars, not ride bicycles, etc. The same goes for the poll I put up the other day on the Bicycling Magazine forum as far as it being designed to attract bicycling enthusiasts.

Most of the people over there also own cars and other motor vehicles but it is about bicycling. Same goes for this motorcycling forum and motorcycles. You might be the one who could do a bit of learning about the meaning of the words "lopsided" and "poll".

I don't see anything funny about suggesting smacking a cyclist as you ride past them. By your lack of a reply to my question I directly asked you about how you'd feel if a cager reached out of his car window and smacked you on the head or elsewhere I bet you'd feel the same way if someone did it to you.
The poll on a bicycle forum will be lopsided because they all ride bikes. Yes some of them may have other vehicles but they are more likely to be patient when they encounter another bicycle on the road. On this forum we have people who do everything. They ride motorcycles, bicycles, and drive cars. So its less lopsided. Anyways if someone put a question up saying ever been tempted to smack a motorcycle? Thats fine. I have never been tempted. Maybe others have. Thats totally fine with me. I clearly wasnt the only one who was ever tempted to smack a bicyclist. Its not like i would ever act upon it. I would never hit someone just for the sake of a good laugh. Anyways once again here you come crying about how horrid it is of me to even think about something like that and whinning like someone who has sand in their V so im done with it. We all know the quote.

Have fun.

Old 06-11-2010, 11:24 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
The poll on a bicycle forum will be lopsided because they all ride bikes. Yes some of them may have other vehicles but they are more likely to be patient when they encounter another bicycle on the road. On this forum we have people who do everything. They ride motorcycles, bicycles, and drive cars. So its less lopsided. Anyways if someone put a question up saying ever been tempted to smack a motorcycle? Thats fine. I have never been tempted. Maybe others have. Thats totally fine with me. I clearly wasnt the only one who was ever tempted to smack a bicyclist. Its not like i would ever act upon it. I would never hit someone just for the sake of a good laugh. Anyways once again here you come crying about how horrid it is of me to even think about something like that and whinning like someone who has sand in their V so im done with it.
On the Bicycling Magazine forum most of the cyclists who ride over there own various types of motor vehicles as well as at least one bicycle. I personally own 3 cars and a motorcycle. The forum attracts all types of vehicle operators so a poll over there is not anymore lopsided than the one you started about bicycles over here on a motorcycle forum.

Some of my cycling takes me through Amish Country in various states, where I encounter horse drawn buggies clip-clopping along at very low speeds in the middle of the road. Do you have the same attitude about them being on the road? As I pedal past them I'm never tempted to smack anyone as I ride by.

You still have not answered my direct question to you when I asked how you'd feel if a cager reached out of his car window and smacked you on the head or elsewhere as he went by. I've brought it up at least 4 times now, so I know you didn't just miss the question. You lack of a reply pretty much tells me the answer.

You'd probably be surprised at the number of positive posts about motorcycling that many of the riders have left on the Bicycling forum when they stopped by to take the poll. I will copy and paste some of the quotes when I post the poll results next week.

You obviously still don't get it but a wise man once said that you can't argue with stupid, so I'm going to let this one go until the 7 days are up for the Bicycling Magazine poll. Enjoy your anti cycling rants until then.

Last edited by RoadiJeff; 06-11-2010 at 11:28 PM.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:38 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is starting to look like it could start a "board war"

QUOTE - RoadiJeff so I'm going to let this one go until the 7 days are up for the Bicycling Magazine poll. Enjoy your anti cycling rants until then.

Well, I'm not.
We are done here.

And any comments made on another forum which could be seen to be derogatory of that forum, or this one will bring the perpetrator a life ban here.

ARE WE CLEAR ?

Last edited by Shadow; 06-11-2010 at 11:55 PM.