Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Should a bicycle ride in the road?
Yes
44.12%
No
55.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Public roads and bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 05:25 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Seafordguy
In the heat of everything I flat out stood on it and showered them with diesel smoke - was it an appropriate response, who knows? But they were not being reasonable either.
lol i have had this happen to me while on my bike. haha i was like SON OF A B! But i doubt he did it intentionally. But i think for them holding the road and refusing to let you pass that was a acceptable gesture.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:33 PM
Administrator - Retired

I like big mud puddles... LOL.. (also works with cross country runners.. )

But seriously, I used to ride everywhere on my pedal bikes. I had a bianchi road/trail bike that I put tons of miles on. Also rode BMX a hell of a lot.

I never got in people's way, tho. I hugged the shoulder as best I could, and would move if I heard anything. I don't like the peeps who ride in the middle of the road and won't let you by.
So my response is that sure... it's fine for bikes to be on the road, but don't be a d-bag about it.

Old 06-05-2010, 09:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, I have a push bike, I ride it down to the foreshore or up to the shops, a lot of people around here have them.
I think cyclists should be able to use the road. In fact here in N.S.W unless you're a 12 YO or riding with a 12 YO, it's illegal to ride on the footpath.
That does not stop them using the footpaths though, or riding across a pedestrian crossings (including pushing the "Walk" button) or thinking that the red light that's stopping other traffic don't apply to them & think it's ok to ride down wrong side of the street, ride on suburban street in a long line, two abreast having a chat, think there is nothing at all wrong or dangerous to ride their bikes on the side of a 110 KPH (70 MPH) Freeway. Oh & a particular favourite of mine, think it's perfectly ok to kick out, if you happen to be walking you're dog on a shared cycleway/walkway (even though pedestrians have priority & they rang their bells, so get out of the way)

Old 06-05-2010, 09:37 PM
Nex
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in one of the "most bicycle friendly cities in the country". There are more rights for bicyclists here than motorists. The entire city has bicycle lanes, and it still does not stop them from riding in the middle of the road. Holding up traffic on your pedal bike is BS, be respectful to faster traffic, and I'll respect your right to be in the road period.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:59 PM

I vote no, i have no issues with the guys that are doing 40 in traffic or off to the side, i constantly get stuck on the way one from work and a 1 lane each way with traffic oncoming on the other side behind so wack off on a bike doing 20mph that gives me the finger, same guy all the time theres about 6feet of paved shoulder and a sidewalk and this is in the middle of nowhere. One of these days if he flips me off on the wrong day he's gonna get one of the tow mirrors

Old 06-07-2010, 12:29 AM

I love to mess with people on bicycles, I would spool up the turbo on my car and let off the gas so the would hear my loud **** blow off valve(usually scares them)! And It is really tempting to kick them over as I ride by on my bike( I would never, but its kind of a fun thought)! I know, I'm a jerk! lol. Maybe cuz i was picked on when i was younger, who knows.
But seriously, I have no problem sharing the road with any one. It is kind of annoying when they are hogging the whole lane when there is space on the side for them. In their defense, most cars dont even pay attention to them much like motorcycles! Everyone should be aware that there are other types of vehicles and hazards on the road beside you! Most of the times (around me anyway) there is no other place for them to be, the road is the only option.

Last edited by DunnRR; 06-07-2010 at 12:32 AM.
Old 06-07-2010, 07:20 AM

don't lump all bicyclist in the negetive group. the cagers say that all motorcyclist are bad but we know better and as a bicyclist i know better. i once got a warning from a cop for doing 42mph in a 35 zone andmy buddy paul got a speeding ticket for 10 over the limit, he got clocked doing 46 in a 35 zone

Old 06-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by CBRfenatic93
How would this be a lopsided poll? Im asking in general if Bicycles should be on the roadway with cars? Its everyones own 2 cents. Im not saying anything about motorcycle and bicycles. If i did please show me. Now if it were on a bicycle forum of course it would be lopsided. You all ride bicycles . lol

Second These people are in cars. They arent holding up traffic and there music may be annoying. But atleast they arent in my way slowing me down.

Yes a car doing less than the speed limit is annoying. I agree. But what about a bicycle doing 5mph+ slower than the speed limit. Its still annoying. So im not understading your point. Your saying people who drive slower than the speed limit are annoying yet bicyclist are most likely going slower than the speed limit and taking up a portion of the lane. So there for you find that annoying as well? If so you just proved my point.

And last but no least. Go for it. Post it up. Of course it will be lopsided. Its a bicycle forum.
How would this be a lopsided poll??? Let's see...the majority on here probably do not ride bicycles much, if at all. From what I have read so far a lot of people here view bicycles as things that are something annoying to them on the road. Gee, I don't know why a poll about bicycles on the road on a motorcycling forum would be lopsided.

I could respond to your other comments but it's late and I have to get up for work in less than 5 hours. However, I just put up the exact same poll over on the Bicycling Magazine forums. Let's see what the results are in 7 days.

Old 06-08-2010, 02:56 AM
November 2009 ROTM

Around this part of Aussie,they have there own bike path in this country town.It cost taxpayers $1,000's.Yet ive never seen any bike rider using it?

Rather,they go two wide & hog the highway.Just asking for trouble,they seem to fear no one,not even an 8 tonne Firetruck on Code 1..........lol.
Now if they coughed up $500 a year for Rego ,like the rest of us,i wouldnt have a problem with it.Just my 2 cents.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
How would this be a lopsided poll??? Let's see...the majority on here probably do not ride bicycles much, if at all. From what I have read so far a lot of people here view bicycles as things that are something annoying to them on the road. Gee, I don't know why a poll about bicycles on the road on a motorcycling forum would be lopsided.

I could respond to your other comments but it's late and I have to get up for work in less than 5 hours. However, I just put up the exact same poll over on the Bicycling Magazine forums. Let's see what the results are in 7 days.
Of course a bicycle forum wont agree that they shouldnt be on the road. . Do yourself a favor and look up the meaning of poll. In short its a survey for a public opinions. Now if this were Ihatebicyclesforum.com then yes it would be lopsided because they all hate poeple who ride bicycles.Instead this poll is avaiable to people who drive motorcycles, cars and a few who may ride bicycles. So do yourself another favor and look up lopsided while you googling poll.

Dude i dont know how else to say this other than you took it way over board for something that was meant to be funny.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 06-08-2010 at 03:45 PM. Reason: no name calling.

Quick Reply: Public roads and bicycles