Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Should a bicycle ride in the road?
Yes
44.12%
No
55.88%
Voters: 34. You may not vote on this poll

Public roads and bicycles

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 08:42 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Public roads and bicycles

So if anyone has read my what’s your score thread I’m sure you know where this is coming from! Should a bicycle be in the road with traffic?

I’m not talking about bicycle lanes and sidewalks. That’s fine. I’m talking about the wanna be lance’s that ride in the streets with traffic and go to the back roads where there are blind corners and no shoulders. I know a bicycle is considered a vehicle because it is a mode of transportation. However when i think of a vehicle i think of something that needs insurance, registration, headlights, taillight and turn signals. I know that you can signal with your hands for all of those but when riding in the road taking your hand off the handle bar isn’t always the best option. So whats your 2 cents on this? Just looking to get opinions from others not to start an argument. So try to keep it nice.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bicyclists bug me more when i'm in my truck because you can get stuck behind them. on my bike, i can just cruise on by, so i don't mind them as much.

i do hate bicycles though. for the last three years i lived in a small college town where every time i drove at night i was dodging drunk people on bikes as they did stupid stuff...

Old 06-05-2010, 11:00 AM

I think they fine on the rode as long as they stay out of the way of vehicles moving faster then them. Get some mirroirs and move your *** outta my way when you see me behind you.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:13 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

First off, I am quite sure that you will get a lopsided poll when you submit this on a motorcycle forum. Shall I conduct the same poll over on the Bicycling Magazine forums and we will compare the results 7 days from now?

Now then, as far as lights go bicycles are required to have lights if they are being ridden after sunset. I believe the law here in Missouri states that any vehicle operating on a pubic road must have lights on 30 minutes after sunset up until 30 minutes before sunrise.

As far as the drunks on bikes, riding two, three, abrest and blocking the lane, blowing through intersections, etc., I see some stupid riders doing this and I agree that it is wrong. I also see some very stupid motorcyclists zig-zagging through traffic on the interstate at 90+ mph, sitting at stop lights revving their LOUD exhaust just to hear it. Cars with their windows up and their stereo so loud I can hear it in my car with the windows up. Drivers going along on the highway in the far left lane 5 mph or more below the speed limit. I could go on and on. However, the stupidity that I witness on a daily basis by cagers far exceeds anything I see someone doing on a bicycle.

Let me know if you're interested in that Bicycling Magazine poll that I will word exactly as the one on here.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:47 AM

I think they should, so long as they're obeying the law. I have absolutely no problem with the ones that stay as far to the side of the lane as possible, signal, and are generally aware they're playing with fire by riding along side motor vehicles.

The ones I have a problem with are the ones who ride where ever suits them best at the moment, like riding down the sidewalk, zigzagging in between cars stopped at a light, continuing across on the crosswalk, and then down the shoulder on the wrong side of the road. Those guys should be ticketed for all sorts of stuff. If I did that on my motorcycle, I'd be taken off the streets.

Old 06-05-2010, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
Let me know if you're interested in that Bicycling Magazine poll that I will word exactly as the one on here.
I want to see this for the lols

Old 06-05-2010, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff
First off, I am quite sure that you will get a lopsided poll when you submit this on a motorcycle forum. Shall I conduct the same poll over on the Bicycling Magazine forums and we will compare the results 7 days from now?
I also see some very stupid motorcyclists zig-zagging through traffic on the interstate at 90+ mph, sitting at stop lights revving their LOUD exhaust just to hear it. Cars with their windows up and their stereo so loud I can hear it in my car with the windows up.
Drivers going along on the highway in the far left lane 5 mph or more below the speed limit.
How would this be a lopsided poll? Im asking in general if Bicycles should be on the roadway with cars? Its everyones own 2 cents. Im not saying anything about motorcycle and bicycles. If i did please show me. Now if it were on a bicycle forum of course it would be lopsided. You all ride bicycles . lol

Second These people are in cars. They arent holding up traffic and there music may be annoying. But atleast they arent in my way slowing me down.

Yes a car doing less than the speed limit is annoying. I agree. But what about a bicycle doing 5mph+ slower than the speed limit. Its still annoying. So im not understading your point. Your saying people who drive slower than the speed limit are annoying yet bicyclist are most likely going slower than the speed limit and taking up a portion of the lane. So there for you find that annoying as well? If so you just proved my point.

And last but no least. Go for it. Post it up. Of course it will be lopsided. Its a bicycle forum.

Old 06-05-2010, 03:51 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I said no. The cyclist here... Wait, calling them that is an insult to those who are real cyclists. I'd say 1 out of 1000 people I see riding a bicycle here in Philadelphia obey any law. Not even self preservation and Darwin.

They don't stop for stop signs. They will make a left turn from the right hand lane. Not cut across the left lane to make the turn. But begin the turn from the rightmost (and some times bike) lane regardless of traffic. They do not attempt to share the road in any way.

The idiots I see operating a bike on a consistent and daily basis need to be removed from the road. Not for their sake, because their actions show they don't give a chit about themselves. But for the sake of the people forced to drive around them. People have damn near killed themselves trying to avoid their stupidity.

Old 06-05-2010, 04:33 PM

The only problem I have with cyclist is when they have their events and there are tons of em on the road. Most of them will stay to far right, but you always have those groups of idiots that are 5 wide and taking op the entire lane. Those are the ones I can't stand. Even worse, those are the ones that always seem to be wearing the shirts about how they have the right to do so, such as," you own a car, not the road!!"

I think anyone of these twits that were in their car and got behind another car going 15 mph, they would feel the same as most people do. The really bad part is, all they have to do is move over a bit, and there isnt a problem.

having said that. I have the same problem when I get behind a group motorcycles going 40 mph and the group is so large, your stuck behind them no matter what. Think they will split the group up a bit so people can pass?? nope. they get in a large group and who cares about anyone else.

Personally, I think it comes down to the person on the cycle, motorcyle, car... whatever is on the road. If the person has any regard towards others, they will be considerate and try not disrupt others while they can still enjoy what they are doing. Others, the Dbags, will have no regard for others.

A funny story, I actually got behind one of these guys wearing one of those shirts, riding in the middle of road. I finally was able to pass the guy. Once in front of him, I went 5 mph. You should have seen this Dbag with all of the hand gestures and yelling. The bad part is, he probably still didnt get the point I was trying to make.

Oh, and I bet if you went to a cyclist forum and asked about how they felt about people who do these things, I think the majority would be against it. just as most on this board are against motorcyclist riding without regard for others.

as for if they should be on the road. I truly think they have just as much right as anyone esle..... if they are respectful of others.

Last edited by justasquid; 06-05-2010 at 04:39 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:50 PM

I think there is a time and place for riding bikes and often times public roads are not the place. They are a danger, and present a liability to ME. If I am driving home, and were to inadvertently hit someone then I would be sued in a heartbeat. It pisses me off.

I followed a bunch down the road the other day and they refused to move over. It was a long and windy 2 lane road and I was in my Dually. They kept looking back at me but just simply refused to move over. It pissed me off because they could have easily gone down to a local historic area which is only a mile or two away and ridden there where the roads are appropriate, and the speed limit is low. After following them for a few miles and them refusing to move over I eventually was able to pass them. In the heat of everything I flat out stood on it and showered them with diesel smoke - was it an appropriate response, who knows? But they were not being reasonable either.

Quick Reply: Public roads and bicycles