Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Physics

Old 11-19-2009, 10:52 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Physics

I am a Physics major in my junior year. So far it's not easy but I know it will pay off in the long run. I was thinking about getting a Masters in some kind of engineering, probably mechanical.

Anyone else on here have a Physics degree? If so, how have you used it and what kind of jobs are available upon graduation? I possibly want to do something in the medical field such as designing equipment.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:47 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Teaching, research assistant, lab tech, cashier. Not necessarily in that order. ;-)

All joking aside, continuing your education may be your best bet. Becoming a research assistant for a prof is a good way to do this. You'll get a stipend, perhaps tuition reimbursement, ...not to mention a in-road in your field. As a research assistant, you'll most likely help w/ teaching classes, doing research for your prof's latest endeavor, & misc grunt work associated w/ the job. You'll get your advanced degrees & by staying in the academic environment, it will help you refine your desires for specializing in a particular area.

Good luck.

Old 11-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Wanted to add...

Talk to as many people in your academic department as possible...ie. research as many options as possible. Discuss your interests w/ your advisor, professors, etc. Sometimes its hard to see the forrest for the trees. Its always good to have the feedback & insight from others. They may have ideas that you hadn't considered.

Also, get involved w/ your career-placement center on campus. They have information from most larger employers, as well as those that are looking for specialized interests. Most likely, you'll provide your information as well for them to have on hand when employers are looking for someone w/ your particular subset of qualifications & interests.

Again, good luck.

Old 11-19-2009, 01:14 PM

Going down the same track... and been wondering the same things... thank god my physics teacher now has a lot of sway with the rest of the department.... lol

Old 11-19-2009, 09:43 PM

i dont have a physics degree, but i will be graduating next month with my BS in Mech. Engineering Tech.

I think staying in school is a good idea... i would... but idk how much mroe i can take, lol. So far i dont have an engineering job lined up, mainly because my lack of experience. Unfortunately i never did an internship because i worked with my dad in the summers, which im payin for now. I think mechanical engineering would be a good engineering to jump to, seeing as how many of the things we do are physics based, besides the few thermo, engines, or pneumatic type classes we ahve.... but obviously as a physics major you're smart enough to figure most things out. Good luck with whatever you do

Old 11-20-2009, 01:10 AM

not trying to hijack thread but for people who want to learn more about engines, what is a good major in college that focuses on automotive engines? I was thinking there is no such thing so which is the closest to that aspect?

Mech engineering?
physics?

thanks!