Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Peoples reaction to lane splitting.

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 09:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Peoples reaction to lane splitting.

ORIGINAL: woo545

ORIGINAL: halik008

lol the lane is already backedup up because of other jackasses that are/were cutting in.

No cutting in = constant flow. You have no argument unless you can come up with a way that defies physics.
You are saying that "cutting in" is the only cause for a backup? Your logic is mind boggling. Then again, maybe I didn't explain the situation properly. After all I'm not perfect. Would re-wording the situation really make a difference with you? I'm not saying that you agree, but just that you understand my logic. If you want physics, how about this:

The rate at which the cars are approaching the merge exceeds the rate at which the cars are leaving out the other end.

The backup has nothing to do with people "cutting in." The people "cutting" is actually an effect and not a cause in this situation. An effect that can be controlled by filling both lanes equally and people being curteous to one another and taking turns at the point of merge. Everyone would get through close to or exactly in the same order in which they originally approached the initial backup with no opportunities for "cutting in(ers?)". I can post a diagram to illustrate this better, if it would make a difference.

The fact that you feel that you are correct and those in the left lane automatically are wrong closes the idea that there maybe other perfectly valid solutions to the situation. Which is also why you would feel justified in trying to running someone off the road and cause accident in order to get everyone to get into your line of thinking. The problem there's more than one problem. [ol][*]There is a backup[*]People cut in line (which does cause a change in when someone could potentially get through)[*]Haters who will try cause an accident by trying to cover both lanes with their vehicles[/ol]Your thought process allows 2 which indirectly causes 3.
My approach prevents 2 and 3 from occuring in the first place.

The problem with right and wrong thinking is the fact that it is a matter of an individuals perception. Just like the concept of fair or not fair. The word "should" is based on an individuals viewpoint of fair which is linked to their perception of right and wrong. The only problem is that not everyone agrees on what is "right" and "wrong". They feel justified that their way of thinking is the only way. Kindof like Hitler, the KKK or terrorists.

The world is full of gray areas. It's not all black and white. Going through life with that amount of closed mindedness is going to be a life of disappointment and frustration.

NOTE: that is not meant directly towards you and is not a personal attack. It's just the way my thought process segwayed from your comment.

Either way, you feel you are right, I feel I'm right and we may never see eye-to-eye.
while there might be slower flow or stop and go flow in high traffic situations people that are cutting it are STILL hingering the flow even more. You cannot defy physics. Creater a resistance, flow will go down. Plain and simple. Constructions have merge signs posted well ahead of the merging point. If everybody got over like they are instructed to instead of try to dart ahead and cut everybody off. The flow will be moving as fast as it possibly can.

And get that "taking turns" idea outta your head. Again it's not some type of intersection. The two lanes do not turn into a joint lane in the middle of the two. In that case you would have an argument. That at is not that case. One of the lanes end, the other continues. The drivers in the one that continues have the right of way. The driver that is in the one that ends was suppose to be merged already.

I'm not causing an accident not am i covering both lanes. I get my car all the way into the lane that is ending. And move with the flow of the rest of the traffic. I don't dart into people that i see are t

Old 11-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while there might be slower flow or stop and go flow in high traffic situations people that are cutting it are STILL hingering the flow even more. You cannot defy physics. Creater a resistance, flow will go down. Plain and simple. Constructions have merge signs posted well ahead of the merging point. If everybody got over like they are instructed to instead of try to dart ahead and cut everybody off. The flow will be moving as fast as it possibly can.

And get that "taking turns" idea outta your head. Again it's not some type of intersection. The two lanes do not turn into a joint lane in the middle of the two. In that case you would have an argument. That at is not that case. One of the lanes end, the other continues. The drivers in the one that continues have the right of way. The driver that is in the one that ends was suppose to be merged already.

I'm not causing an accident not am i covering both lanes. I get my car all the way into the lane that is ending. And move with the flow of the rest of the traffic. I don't dart into people that i see are trying to speed up to the front and cut it. I simply get in the lane and match my speed with that of the line.

I'm not worrying about blocking and stopping the traffic when i get to the merge point because the drivers in the line ALWAYS hold my spot open for me to move back into. Road courtesy man.....road courtesy.
First, off, you are not a traffic control device and are subject to the same laws as I am. Left lane is for passing. and in in PA, if you followed what you stated, you would be violating the law

Title 75 Chapter 33
§3367
(A)
[blockquote]...
"Race." The use of one or more vehicles in an attempt to outgain, outdistance or prevent another vehicle from passing, to arrive at a given destination ahead of another vehicle or vehicles, or to test the physcial stamina or endurance of drivers over long diestance driving routines.
[/blockquote][blockquote](B)General rule. -- No person shall drive a vehicle on a highway in any race.
[/blockquote]Besides, what you are are doing, accomplishes what I'm suggesting, but only by a different means. I'm just saying fill both lanes from the very beginning. Instead of cars A, B, C, D being in a straight line, cars A and B will be next to each other and C and D. Alternating, flow is actually improved because there is no perceived cut it in because A and B arrived essentially at the same time even though both lanes are being utilitized. So, B will fall behind A, and D falls behind at C. C will have more of propensity to allow B merge in because B was there first. This avoids prematurely backing up one lane and leaving one open. Yes, a person 5 car lengths back would take longer, but following your process of getting over early, that car would have been 9 or 10 cars back anyway. So, essentially there are no, or actually limited number of people butting in front of each other.

Either way, your not going to see my pov so, this will be my last reference on this subject.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:10 AM

ORIGINAL: woo545

Besides, you blocking traffic and moving with the flow ends up with exactly what I'm saying.
lol no it wont

Old 11-01-2007, 10:41 AM

Who cares what makes traffic. One car isn't going to change a traffic pattern much, it would takedozens depending on the situation of course. Out here in SJ there is probably some of the most retarded traffic in the country, with all of our stupid circles and poorly placed/timed lights. The only thing you can do is just have some patience.

And halik008, it just sounds like you're trying to cover up or twist the fact that you said you would cut off another biker in such a way that he could crash.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Donohu40

And halik008, it just sounds like you're trying to cover up or twist the fact that you said you would cut off another biker in such a way that he could crash.
no i'm not. By "cutting off" i ment i see somebody adjusting for lane splitting while moving i would adjust my position in my lane that he cannot get next to me. In another words blocking him. What he does is not really my problem.

I didn't mean i would let him get next to me and then sway in.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:14 PM
RCR

if i see a dumbass trying to lane split while we are moving at a normal speed i will most certianly block him. If's he's dumb enought to do that, he is most likely not experienced and i do not want him next to me or infront of me.

I block riders trying to sneek up to the light too. Simply wait your turn like everybody else and don't try to complicate the situatuon.
Halik, You need to remember us "lane splitters"(here in cali) are not dumbass's this is an everyday event for us. I think your abilities are not as good as most and can't ride your bike in between cars and that upsets you that you suck!! If I saw you close up a lane I would still get by you cause im sure your not touching mirrors with the other car and you get 11g of two brothers exhaust in your window for your efforts.

Old 11-01-2007, 11:33 PM
Retired Moderator

I used to live in Vacaville California, and when I would go to the city (Frisco), I would see bikes splitting the lanes. I used to think that they could get f_cked up if someone tried to change lanes (which happens on a dime!), or if someone opened their door for some reason. I actually assumed it was okay to do, and never got mad (that waseven before I had a bike). For those people who would try to intentionaly harm a person splitting lanes, I would assume they are among those who hate to have people in front on them. Life is about waiting in one line or another, but some people can't handle that. Can you remember a time when you were not waitingyour turn in oneform or another?

Old 11-02-2007, 01:45 AM

i love this forum...

Old 11-02-2007, 05:01 AM

i thought there was a specific speed or lack there of , of traffic in which one could lane split in the states where its legal or like here where its NOT illegal?
0-10mph?

Old 11-02-2007, 03:04 PM

I thought I read somewhere that even if its legal to lane split, its still your fault if you get in a wreck. Not sure about that.

I think to myslef. "ya, dumbass. Make me wreck, so when I die, you can go to jail for manslaughter."

But I guess you cant spell mansluaghter with out luaghter.

Quick Reply: Peoples reaction to lane splitting.