Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Peoples reaction to lane splitting.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 07:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Peoples reaction to lane splitting.

ORIGINAL: halik008

ORIGINAL: woo545

I used to do the same thing, until I thought about it some more. There's a part on my commute where a by-pass ends and 2 lanes merge into one so it can merge back with the next stretch of road. Of course it's clearly marked that the lanes are ending, but what would happen is that the right lane would get completely backed up and the left lane would remain open except for those that decide to take advantage of the situation. Of course there is that one or two self-righteous individual that feels that they are being wrong and will move their car in an attempt to block both lanes.

The way I view this now, it's your own damn fault you got into the right lane. The fact that you and all the other sheep decided to get to the right to early, artifically backed up one lane and left the one open. Now. If both lanes were used, like they are supposed to, then the both lanes would be filled up equally. Hence, no more open left lane. Then if people took turns at the point of the merge. One left, one right, then both lanes of traffic would get through in the same amount of time, thus reducing the number of hot-heads who are mad because people are "unfairly" passing them (legally, I may add) to just the hot heads who are just plain stuck in traffic. Of course you will get that one person who insists on not taking turns, even when both lanes are getting through in the same amount of time, but heck, what's waiting one more car at the point. There's also those that will remain on the left, drive onto the shoulder and continue further up the line. I don't like those people very much.
You way of thinking is flawed. You are assuming that the point of merging between the two lanes is some kind of intersection where each should be taking turns at stopping and letting the other go. That is NOT the case. It's one lane ends while the other continues. The right lane is the "right of way" continuous flow. There is not to be any stopping what-so-ever at the merge point. All the cars are suppose to be merged already at the merging point for the flow is uninterrupted. If everyobody merge early like they are suppose to, the traffic flow will be constant. it's the dicks that want to dart ahead and cut in that cause backups.
The question is, should I continue arguing this point....

I've seen the traffic work both ways. There is less frustation for all when both lanes are backed-up equally. If you want to go to the right a full mile back before the merge, go right ahead. I'll continue doing what I've been doing. "There is not to be any stopping what-so-ever at the merge point." One...when the right lane is backed up, traffic is already stopped in the one lane, sometimes up to a 1/2 mile to a mile away from the merge signs. Flawed by your point of view. I voiced my opinion. Not much else I can do.

Your philosophy works, if both lanes are moving at a normal rate of speed. When volume throughout the exit causes a problem, then fill both lanes up to ease frustation on all.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: hellboytt

ORIGINAL: Nauree

Putting aside that either lane splitting is right or wrong. You can't prove either. Obviously, this harmless action ticks you off so much as to admit that you willingly try to harm other riders so you can benefit from nothing. Hes not going to change your position in traffic, there are still going to be how many cars in front of you. The jackass move is you disabling the mans progress though traffic. I hope you become a statistic.
if it's harmless and right it wouldn't be illegal in 49 outta 50 states *light bulb*

Thing get outlawed for a reason.

Lol i higly doubt i become a statics seeing i follow traffic laws unlike you bud.
You remind me of that guy that tryed to block me, hit me in traffic till we stopped and I got off my bike and tryed to talk to him, but he locked the doors and wouldn't even look at me. What a puss, they are so brave in their car, but wouldn't come out to talk
heh what to do you expect you put him at a disadvantage by walking up on him while he's sitting belted in :P

Old 10-31-2007, 07:18 PM

ORIGINAL: woo545

The question is, should I continue arguing this point....

I've seen the traffic work both ways. There is less frustation for all when both lanes are backed-up equally. If you want to go to the right a full mile back before the merge, go right ahead. I'll continue doing what I've been doing. "There is not to be any stopping what-so-ever at the merge point." One...when the right lane is backed up, traffic is already stopped in the one lane, sometimes up to a 1/2 mile to a mile away from the merge signs. Flawed by your point of view. I voiced my opinion. Not much else I can do.
lol the lane is already backedup up because of other jackasses that are/were cutting in.

No cutting in = constant flow. You have no argument unless you can come up with a way that defies physics.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:23 PM

if it's harmless and right it wouldn't be illegal in 49 outta 50 states *light bulb*

Right. That's why cigarettes and booze are legal. Uh-huh. You've contradicted yourself so many times during this little soap-box diatribe that I'm woozy from the stench of it--all acting like you know more than everyone, even while proudly displaying a sore lack in basic spelling. Jesus, you're like a midget with an ice cream cone, yelling what you think are clever come-backs to people who can see right through your botched attempt at self-importance.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:29 PM

[quote]ORIGINAL: Nauree

Take off their side view mirror next time. IDK how long motorcycle plate numbers are in yalls state but their long like trucks here. I'd never remember one if I only got a glance at it.
[/quote

Put the plate mount that is under the tail on a pivot like mine and they can not see it anyway.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:30 PM

Sorry I do not want to sound like a tool here but, I feel the cagers just do not care! untill something bad happens. and if they have to sit in line then everyone has to sit in line with them too.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:40 PM

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR

Right. That's why cigarettes and booze are legal. Uh-huh. You've contradicted yourself so many times during this little soap-box diatribe that I'm woozy from the stench of it--all acting like you know more than everyone, even while proudly displaying a sore lack in basic spelling. Jesus, you're like a midget with an ice cream cone, yelling what you think are clever come-backs to people who can see right through your botched attempt at self-importance.
Both are legal since the use of the products alone does not harm others.
Drinking and driving = illegal. Smoking in public establishment = illegal.

By your logic should be ban all cuttlery too? *light bulb*

Old 10-31-2007, 07:48 PM

Like I said like 3 times before, I know lane splitting is illegal where I live and where most people live. I wasn't trying to say that I'm above the law or that it is a stupid law. Lane splitting is a bad habbit of mine that I should stop.... but that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

First off with the whole purse stealing thing, it isn't a good analogy so its not worth trying to make sense of it. I dont feel like going into the degrees of bad that things are.

My point is that although lane splitting is stupid and illegal, cutting someone off that is lane splitting in such a way that could possibly KILL them is the WRONG thing to do.

You will probably say "well lane splitting could cause a fatal accident by itself", but the difference is that lane splitters are not trying to cause an accident. However you are if you try to cut them off. It is the cops job to catch people doing bad things like that and it is the judges job to convict and sentence them. You dont have the right to do their job. Back to the purse theif thing, yes you should tackle him or something... and then call the cops.

btw, if you hit and kill a motorcyclist because you swerve into them that is called vehiclular manslaughter... you go to jail for that. now how is that the right thing to do???

And don't come up with some bs scenario where it sounds right. I was talking about lane splitting through slow moving traffic, not at a light standing still, not at a construction zone, not anywhere else. Changing the situation to make yourself sound right doesn't mean your right.

The bottom line is cutting ANYONE off ON PURPOSE is bad and people that cut me off regardless of the situation **** me off. I think we can all agree on that.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Donohu40

Like I said like 3 times before, I know lane splitting is illegal where I live and where most people live. I wasn't trying to say that I'm above the law or that it is a stupid law. Lane splitting is a bad habbit of mine that I should stop.... but that wasn't the point I was trying to make.

First off with the whole purse stealing thing, it isn't a good analogy so its not worth trying to make sense of it. I dont feel like going into the degrees of bad that things are.

My point is that although lane splitting is stupid and illegal, cutting someone off that is lane splitting in such a way that could possibly KILL them is the WRONG thing to do.

You will probably say "well lane splitting could cause a fatal accident by itself", but the difference is that lane splitters are not trying to cause an accident. However you are if you try to cut them off. It is the cops job to catch people doing bad things like that and it is the judges job to convict and sentence them. You dont have the right to do their job. Back to the purse theif thing, yes you should tackle him or something... and then call the cops.

btw, if you hit and kill a motorcyclist because you swerve into them that is called vehiclular manslaughter... you go to jail for that. now how is that the right thing to do???

And don't come up with some bs scenario where it sounds right. I was talking about lane splitting through slow moving traffic, not at a light standing still, not at a construction zone, not anywhere else. Changing the situation to make yourself sound right doesn't mean your right.

The bottom line is cutting ANYONE off ON PURPOSE is bad and people that cut me off regardless of the situation **** me off. I think we can all agree on that.
oh you mean cutting off while you are going by them? I thought you ment blocking them from trying to lane split.

Old 10-31-2007, 08:04 PM

halik...I'm just going to say it like I see it. You are a ****ing dip****.
Now your insaulting other peoples "way of thinking". There is no RIGHT way of thinking. You might as well say the other 95% of the world outside the US of A are idiots.
You comment stating that because its not lawful in 49 states it must be harmful in someway. Its illegal to hunt wales in Nevada. You can't base harmful or helpful pratices based on laws.
Once again it all comes down to not weither you think lane splitting is gay or not its that fact that you are trying to justify your intent to harm motorcylists.

Quick Reply: Peoples reaction to lane splitting.