Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Peoples reaction to lane splitting.

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 05:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Peoples reaction to lane splitting.

ORIGINAL: Nauree

if you are close enough to bash on anybody car...they are close enuff to clip your rear tire in response. Have fun eating pavement!
Lets back up for a minute

If the car is close enough to clip my rear tire...I am close enough to bash your car.

What sinceable rider is purposely going to be as close to a car as possible. Most crashes involving motorcycles are cagers faults.
ERRRRR! wrong. most motorcycle crashes occurs in turns.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:42 PM

ORIGINAL: Donohu40

I should of made my original post a little clearer.

1.) I only lane split when traffic is crawling. And I dont blow by like a jackass. I cruise by minding my own business.
2.) I know its illegal. I didn't ask if you think its illegal or not.
3.) Comparing cutting off a lane splitter to helping catch a guy who stole a purse is crap. Its more like shooting a guy because he stole a purse. Sure what he did was wrong and illegal, but shooting him isn't the right thing to do EVER. You would go to jail if you did that.

Im very surprised that some people on here that ride say they would cut off another rider. And even more so about cutting off an inexperienced rider. There are people that regulate what people do on the roads... they're called cops. Any rider that would honestly cut off another rider regardless of what they are doing is a giant douche.

it's called road curtusy..... if you don't have any, i will not give you any. Hell i do the same thing in construction zones to other drivers when they know quite well they need to merge over as instructed per the numerous merge signs instead of darting all the way up from just to cut in and make everybody else slam on their brakes and stop. So i nicely get in thier lane and creep with the traffic. Of course they get pissed, honk and get on my *** but **** em....it's the same mentality you have.

Old 10-31-2007, 05:50 PM

The few times I'v gotten **** from cagers were pretty bad. One guy (in a e46 m3) saw me coming towards him at a light...so he moves ONTO the line. The truck behind him saw me coming, saw him being a douche, and did not move up to fill the gap that the BMW driver left. I approached the BMW, slowed down, and went behind him. I was pretty much walking the bike, and the guy shot me the worst look ever. All I could think as I watched him stare me down was: 'you douche. I drive a BMW too...and I would never do that to a biker. Not even a Harley...' Then I winked and blew him a kiss, and proceeded to the front of the line. I think my act of kindness totally ruined his day. Another time, I had a guy from mexico (Baja Cali plates) try to race me from a light...only he was behind me....

The other day, I was splitting to the front of the line at a light (everybody was stopped, but every now and then they would creep up a few feet), and this old woman didn't see me coming, and damn near hit me. She was merging into the lane I was in, and when she did see me, she slammed on her brakes as I grabed a fistfull of mine. I stopped right at her window, and she was just absolutly freaked out. At that moment, we made eye contact, and I just felt like the biggest douche for scaring this old lady. I actually tried to appologize to her, but I was wearing my helmet, and I know she couldn't hear me over my Yosh pipe. I'm pretty sure she thought I was yelling at her or something...and had it been anybody else, I would have been swearing up a storm...but I just felt bad for scaring this lady (she also kinda looked like my grandma, so I'm sure that played a role in my reaction).

I split lanes becuase for the most part, its safer. If I can go to the front of the line at a stop light, I will, that way I know I won't get hit from behind by some woman doing her makeup while talking on teh phone (or reading a magazine with her friend). I know its a douche bag move, but if I see somebody driving, talking on the phone (and you can tell they're paying more attention to the call than their driving), I'll position my tail pipe by their open window and give them a nice blast of Honda fart. Cars are for driving. If you really need to find out what happened on Grey's Anatomy last night, pull over or wait til you get home. If somebody calls me when I'm driving my car, I usually won't answer. If they call back right away, I'll answer and find out what they want/need...then I hang up. I've been run off the road in my car by an as$hole in an SUV who, because of the way he was holding his phone, couldn't see me...and merged right into my lane...I have a personal grudge against these self important CA drivers...

/rant. sorry. its been a horrible 2 days.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:27 PM
Retired Super Moderator

Where is lane splitting legal?

-Adam

Old 10-31-2007, 06:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: halik008

it's called road curtusy..... if you don't have any, i will not give you any. Hell i do the same thing in construction zones to other drivers when they know quite well they need to merge over as instructed per the numerous merge signs instead of darting all the way up from just to cut in and make everybody else slam on their brakes and stop. So i nicely get in thier lane and creep with the traffic. Of course they get pissed, honk and get on my *** but **** em....it's the same mentality you have.
I used to do the same thing, until I thought about it some more. There's a part on my commute where a by-pass ends and 2 lanes merge into one so it can merge back with the next stretch of road. Of course it's clearly marked that the lanes are ending, but what would happen is that the right lane would get completely backed up and the left lane would remain open except for those that decide to take advantage of the situation. Of course there is that one or two self-righteous individual that feels that they are being wrong and will move their car in an attempt to block both lanes.

The way I view this now, it's your own damn fault you got into the right lane. The fact that you and all the other sheep decided to get to the right to early, artifically backed up one lane and left the one open. Now. If both lanes were used, like they are supposed to, then the both lanes would be filled up equally. Hence, no more open left lane. Then if people took turns at the point of the merge. One left, one right, then both lanes of traffic would get through in the same amount of time, thus reducing the number of hot-heads who are mad because people are "unfairly" passing them (legally, I may add) to just the hot heads who are just plain stuck in traffic. Of course you will get that one person who insists on not taking turns, even when both lanes are getting through in the same amount of time, but heck, what's waiting one more car at the point. There's also those that will remain on the left, drive onto the shoulder and continue further up the line. I don't like those people very much.

As for people talking about me comparing illegal acts....I never said shoot the purse thief...you could simply trip or clothes hang him if he is running past you. Either way, what he was doing and what you are doing, is (except CA) illegal. Are you saying that you are above the law? If everyone went about picking and choosing which laws to follow and not follow, we would be in a state of chaos.

I personally think lane splitting should be permitted when traffic is backed up for miles. Bikes over heat, we don't have air conditioning, we have a greater likelihood of becoming dehydrated or just plain running out of gas. On top of that, we are at risk of being sandwiched between 2 vehicles. Plus the fatigue factor of supporting 300+lbs between our legs. In terms of safety it makes sense for lane splitting, but imo not at a traffic light where you are going to make it within 1 or 2 cycles. Only problem with lanesplitting, is that you will have hot heads who will try to block you. They are pissed because they are inconvienenced and if they are they sure as hell will make sure everyone is. Maybe there should be areas where "lane splitting is permitted" or laws that require cages to allow the extra space for the bikes to pass. Anyone want to get petitions up to your legislatures?

Old 10-31-2007, 06:43 PM

if you are close enough to bash on anybody car...they are close enuff to clip your rear tire in response. Have fun eating pavement!
Lets back up for a minute

If the car is close enough to clip my rear tire...I am close enough to bash your car.

What sinceable rider is purposely going to be as close to a car as possible. Most crashes involving motorcycles are cagers faults.
ERRRRR! wrong. most motorcycle crashes occurs in turns.
motorcycle accident statistics

Putting aside that either lane splitting is right or wrong. You can't prove either. Obviously, this harmless action ticks you off so much as to admit that you willingly try to harm other riders so you can benefit from nothing. Hes not going to change your position in traffic, there are still going to be how many cars in front of you. The jackass move is you disabling the mans progress though traffic. I hope you become a statistic.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

its illegal in every state except Cali. So I dont do it unless it is to get my *** out of harms way.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:49 PM

ORIGINAL: woo545

I used to do the same thing, until I thought about it some more. There's a part on my commute where a by-pass ends and 2 lanes merge into one so it can merge back with the next stretch of road. Of course it's clearly marked that the lanes are ending, but what would happen is that the right lane would get completely backed up and the left lane would remain open except for those that decide to take advantage of the situation. Of course there is that one or two self-righteous individual that feels that they are being wrong and will move their car in an attempt to block both lanes.

The way I view this now, it's your own damn fault you got into the right lane. The fact that you and all the other sheep decided to get to the right to early, artifically backed up one lane and left the one open. Now. If both lanes were used, like they are supposed to, then the both lanes would be filled up equally. Hence, no more open left lane. Then if people took turns at the point of the merge. One left, one right, then both lanes of traffic would get through in the same amount of time, thus reducing the number of hot-heads who are mad because people are "unfairly" passing them (legally, I may add) to just the hot heads who are just plain stuck in traffic. Of course you will get that one person who insists on not taking turns, even when both lanes are getting through in the same amount of time, but heck, what's waiting one more car at the point. There's also those that will remain on the left, drive onto the shoulder and continue further up the line. I don't like those people very much.
You way of thinking is flawed. You are assuming that the point of merging between the two lanes is some kind of intersection where each should be taking turns at stopping and letting the other go. That is NOT the case. It's one lane ends while the other continues. The right lane is the "right of way" continuous flow. There is not to be any stopping what-so-ever at the merge point. All the cars are suppose to be merged already at the merging point for the flow is uninterrupted. If everyobody merge early like they are suppose to, the traffic flow will be constant. it's the dicks that want to dart ahead and cut in that cause backups.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:53 PM

Putting aside that either lane splitting is right or wrong. You can't prove either. Obviously, this harmless action ticks you off so much as to admit that you willingly try to harm other riders so you can benefit from nothing. Hes not going to change your position in traffic, there are still going to be how many cars in front of you. The jackass move is you disabling the mans progress though traffic. I hope you become a statistic.
if it's harmless and right it wouldn't be illegal in 49 outta 50 states *light bulb*

Thing get outlawed for a reason.

Lol i higly doubt i become a statics seeing i follow traffic laws unlike you bud.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:08 PM

if it's harmless and right it wouldn't be illegal in 49 outta 50 states *light bulb*

Thing get outlawed for a reason.

Lol i higly doubt i become a statics seeing i follow traffic laws unlike you bud.
You remind me of that guy that tryed to block me, hit me in traffic till we stopped and I got off my bike and tryed to talk to him, but he locked the doors and wouldn't even look at me. What a puss, they are so brave in their car, but wouldn't come out to talk

Quick Reply: Peoples reaction to lane splitting.