Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

paypal question

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2011 | 01:35 AM
Super Moderator and Official Welcome Crew Yeti

think the basics have been covered here as far as a seller expecting fees for using a payment service. i'll throw in my recommendation that you get a paypal debit card and use it like a credit card for purchases by using the money in your paypal account -- then at least you're getting half the fees 'back' as a 1.5% credit.

Old 01-31-2011 | 07:08 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Originally Posted by LJ Harp
If you are the seller of a item do you expect to pay the fee?
I've read most of the comments already so let me just add mine. PayPal works sort of like a credit card. When you use your credit card at a store the merchant pays a slight fee to the CC company for their service. The buyer does not. If you pay in full each month, like I do, there are no fees for using it as a buyer.

In order to cover the cost of credit card useage a merchant raises the price of what they are selling. Whenever I sell something on eBay I make the shipping and handling charges to cover the cost of PayPal fees but not too high. I don't believe in making a profit off shipping and handling charges, the way I see a lot of sellers doing.

Anyway, the seller should pay the PayPal processing fee, not the buyer.

Old 01-31-2011 | 06:30 PM

I agree with what has been said. Pay Pal is a service that moves money from one credit card to another without disclosing privet info. They are using their software and mailing programs. I feel it is the most secure way to do business with some insurance from them. You can dispute a purchase and they will go after the party at fault. You are paying for their service. I, the sell don't have a problem with it nor do I the buyer. Like stated before, it is like you are using their service as an outlet for your goods, so pay up as the seller.

Yes you the buyer do pay in the long run. The price should reflect the total shipping, PayPal and product. You pay for heat or AC at any dept store don't you? Someone does and it' not the store, they get the money from you as it's included in the price.

Old 01-31-2011 | 06:55 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN

I'm gonna start charging LJ 3% extra per thread/post

Old 01-31-2011 | 07:46 PM

If I'm buying something from a member of one of the Forums I am on I usually add on some money to cover the fee.

If I am just buying something off Ebay - the seller can eat it....

Old 01-31-2011 | 09:04 PM

The way I see it, the seller should include the fee in their total price and I will gladly pay it. If they dont, then I dont think twice. I pay what they ask and no more.

Old 02-02-2011 | 11:29 PM

i sell items on forums occasionaly. i offer paypal as an option, but i always tell the buyers to add %4. never had a complaint.
i always ship as soon as it hits my paypal account. so i see the added fee as the cost for priority shipping.