Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

paypal question

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 11:10 PM
Official CBRF Decal Man
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default paypal question

If you read this please comment I just have a question.

If you are the seller of a item do you expect to pay the fee?

As a buyer I feel that it is my responsibility to pay the fee. The seller ask for a certain price I believe they should get their full price without paying the fee. I feel this way because its my choice to pay with paypal. Now of I was to send it in a envelope I would pay for that and postage so why wouldn't I pay the paypal fee?

As a seller I don't see why I should be hit for the fee because I already have included postage for shipping, material cost and what not I don't see why I should be paying another fee on top of that.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:12 PM
April 2011 Ride of the Month

you can avoid fees by having the buyer send you the money as a gift...

but paypal is all jacked up

Old 01-30-2011, 11:16 PM
Official CBRF Decal Man

I know about that but I don't have that option on the paypal android app.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I sell stuff on ebay I include all cost in my price including shipping. Dont know why more ppl dont do it that way. I hate thinking I'm getting a deal on sumtin to just end up paying the same if I went out n bought it.

Old 01-30-2011, 11:36 PM
Official CBRF Decal Man

Still looking for more input..

I bought a jacket today and I paid the fee. Maybe its the way I was raised, and the way my mind works but let me.know because the seller was quite shocked I did this and I thought its what everyone did?

Old 01-30-2011, 11:57 PM

I agree with classic..

The seller is the one that is using the service. Sure, the buyer is also, but the seller benifits from the paypal service more so than the buyer, so why not have them pay the fee?

Without paypal, the seller would loose out on potential customers. It does suck for someone who only sells a few items per year, but for mega companies tha utilize paypal, they reap the rewards of being able to sell to a lot more people who otherwise may not be able to purchase their products.

Its the same with credit cards. Any store that accepts them pays a fee for their use. Because they are the ones benefiting from getting money they otherwise may not.

I know when I sell things, I offer paypal as a method of payment, knowing I'm going to loose a little money. But as I said, i don't want to loose out on potential buyers, so I don't mind the fee. In the end, its up to the seller to use paypal or not, and they know the fee's associated with it.

I wouldn't feel I have to pay a fee for buying something. Trust me, the seller wants the money as fast and as securely as they can get it. Paypal offers those two things. Nothing like selling an item and having the money in the account the next day and being able to ship out the product. Plus, paypal allows people to use credit cards. Again, where people may not be able to otherwise buy what your selling.

The seller benifits enough to warrant the fee going to them.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:13 AM

Most people I know who use paypal, add 3% as an option. They offer either sending a money order, or paypal, and add the fee for the faster service. Usually in the ad they will state upfront that you can pay by M.O. or paypal +3%.

I agree with the guys on here too, that the seller is using the service so it's there responsibility for the fee, but I look at it this way....you are using paypal for faster receipt of the item, and a safe and secure way to assure you get your item after you pay. The fee usually equates to about 3%.

I have used paypal to sell firearm related items, and I included shipping in my selling price, but added the 3% fee and never had a complaint. It's really the seller choice. They know they will lose a few bucks due to the fee, so if they don't ask for it, it is their problem. I personally don't have an issue with paying the fee if they ask for it, but if they don't ask, they know the deal. You can be nice and include it either way, but like I said, if they don't ask, that means they don't mind the fee.

Old 01-31-2011, 12:15 AM

As a seller on ebay I eat the fee for paypal stuff. In the end I just consider part of the cost of doing business. I could use other means that would cost less, but in the end the minimal fee is worth alot less to me than the time it would take for another option.

Call me lazy but I've probably only paid 30$ in fees over years of use of paypal so it amortizes out to a small amount every time.

Quick Reply: paypal question