Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Paypal Fraud...

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 08:47 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paypal Fraud...

I just got this in my email:

We have noticed several attempts of fraud. Seems like somebody tried to access your account.
You are able to log into your account but all your payments are suspended untill you will
update your personal information. PayPal works day and night to help keep your identity safe.
That's why it has come to our attention that your PayPal account information needs to be updated
as part of our continuing commitment to protect your account and to reduce the instance of fraud
on our website. If you could take 5-10 minutes out of your online experience and update your personal
records you will not run into any future problems with the online service.

However, failure to update your records will result in account suspension.

I was stupid, and went to try the link provided (never do that from your email account). MSN gave me a warning that this was areported "phishing" website. The problem is, I have had someone hack my Ebay/Paypal account before, so I was willing to bite. Watch out, and don't fall for this one!!!

Old 05-10-2008, 08:49 PM
Banned
Default RE: Paypal Fraud...

WOW!!! Nice heads up!

Old 05-10-2008, 08:51 PM

Vood-ums!

[sm=noooo.gif][sm=pcwhack.gif]

Old 05-10-2008, 08:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Paypal will address yo by the name on you account ALWAYS. And like you said NEVER use a link from a email to log into anything, goto the site directly. You wouldnt believe how easy it is to clone a site.

those type of scammers need to out back n disposed of.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:52 PM

I've had similar e-mails, you can ALWAYS type www.paypal.com into your web browser and log in from there - if there is something going on with your account you can read about it there. They also have a section on where to send "phishing" or fraudulent e-mails, I've sent them 5-10 of these types of e-mails.

don't click links that are in e-mails people, ever.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:01 PM

Forward that email to paypals phishing address, I do not know it off hand but will look for it. But yeah like others said you have to watch out for those phishing e-mails. Never click the login links in there. I believe the official paypal e-mails don't even have the login link inside.

If you guys do accidentally click a link in there and log in make sure to change your info ASAP. Since these e-mails just send the data you used to login to them. So you have a chance of changing it before they get it.

Old 05-10-2008, 10:14 PM

hover the mouse over the link, if it doesnt contain www.paypal.com dont click it. Or, look at the email address. The name may say "Paypal Customer Service" but the actual email address will say a different site.

Thats how i catch fraud. The Nigerian scam works the same way.

Always watch email address and links. Word can sound convincing, but the links can screw you.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:05 PM

I had that same e-mail yesterday or the day before that. If you hover over the link it wants you to go to, you can tell that it's not the paypal website. Easy to catch. Sorry to hear you fell for it.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:14 PM

No website company ever sends an email saying they are going to suspend your account if you dont update it. NOBODY.

On ebay emails. If they dont show up in your ebay account mail box, but they do in your linked email account. Then its fake.

Old 05-10-2008, 11:50 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks Voodoo !

Quick Reply: Paypal Fraud...