Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

The "Noob Drop"

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 08:36 PM
Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

I never dropped a bike in 17 years of riding ... I hit my 30's and for various reasons I got weak, then dropped my beautiful F3 after ten years of pristine ownership moving it in the drive, then again when trying to move if off the stand, and finally taking it down the road when unfit I misjudged and wrecked it, smashed all the plastics ... a blemish free record destroyed during a horrible year ... the way it goes...........

Jules

Old 09-05-2009, 03:34 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've laid her down three times now , all stationary drops with minimal damage but it sure hurts your pride .

The first time I already posted up in another thread , but I'd just got the bike and the kickstand sprang back up without me knowing . So I laid her down , right outside my local bike shop and picked her up with the help of a nice lady

The second time was at the bottom of my driveway , it's really steep , like a 1:1 gradient . I have to bring it out backwards and I lost it at the bottom where my feet wouldn't touch down!

The last time was at the end of my road , upward slope falling away to the right with parked cars , you have to take it really slow as it's a blind corner and cars come the other way , not expecting a bike to be there .

Well I was , but had already committed to the turn , stopped but the momentum kept going and she went over . Managed to catch her but she's a CBR1000F so the weight was too much 'cos she was falling on the downhill side .

Car just drove off 'n' left me , no apology , even though they were on my side of the road .

Managed to pick her up , but , these bikes are heavy with a steel frame , now I know how those power lifters in the Olympics feel!

Still there's been only minimal cosmetic damage , so I consider myself lucky!

Old 09-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just dropped my bike about 20 minutes ago in a carpark. The pride and clutch cover took a bashing. I think ill get off the bike from now on to walk it backwards. It was halfway over before I even clocked on and tried to save it.

I also popped the buckle on my riding pants =[

Old 09-05-2009, 10:34 AM

Here's a stupid story from about two and a half years ago.

I was working in this factory, I'd end up so tired and sore at the end of the day it wasn't even funny.

Anyways, one night after work, I go to my bike, unlock it, put on my helmet and put the keys in the ignition. I go to sit on it, kick up the kick stand and put one foot up by the clutch. I sit there for a few seconds and next thing I know, I'm tipping over.

I slam to the asphalt wide awake thinking "WTF". I lift the bike up, didn't damage anything but I sure felt stupid. Glad it was dark and everyone else had gone or else I'd have to quit.

I also tipped a Kawasaki Ninja back in 1999 after getting my license. Tore the crap out of it in a swing. But I'll save that one for another time.

Old 09-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Talking

Originally Posted by ridinthabay408
back a couple years ago when i got my FIRST bike, a 1992 GSXR 750.. BRIGHT *** yellow. i traded my 90 supra for it. we met up in a Albertson's parkinglot. and of course i didnt know how to ride at all. i mean when he pulled up i was like wow.. bikes are HUGE! i've never even been that close to a bike. so of course im like whatever i can ride this! so we sign the papers.. i put on the helmet and sit on the bike. he gets in the supra and drives off. im like ****.. i better not look stupid cuz if i drop it..im fu*CKD. so right when i stand the bike up right.. it falls to the right.. and BAM!.. im on the ground laying with the bike in a crowded albertsons parking lot..hahah.. good thing there were nothing but huge trucks by us so not EVERYONE saw.. some nice people came over to help me lift up the bike. then i called my friend over to ride it home for me.
dam good story

my first drop happened when I had a chick on my back. as she got off she took the bike with her....

and apparently i love my bike more because instead of helping her I was fretting about any damage on my bike. and as you can imagine she was piiiiisssed

good huh?

Last edited by jpanside@gmail.com; 09-05-2009 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-05-2009, 04:03 PM

Making a U-turn on a road going uphill. twice. You think i would have learned after the first time, i got perpendicular in the road and it slooowly tipped over down the hill, and it was too heavy to keep up... Anyway, im never pulling a uturn on a hill again. sob

Old 09-15-2009, 01:00 PM

All hilarious stories. The "one foot noob hop"... been there, done that...and will do it again.

About a week after i got my f4i, my brother was in my driveway, so i'm thinking i'll fly up there and lockup the rear brake giving him quite a scare..skidding into my "parking space".. well didnt go as planned..

The rear wheel skid alone wasnt slowing me fast enough to avoid my dads new lexus so i freaked and grabbed the front brake hard, next thing i know i'm on my side with my brother laughing his a$$ off. i also just installed my frame sliders the day before which saved my plastics from my own stupidity. also found out my tip sensor works nicely..

Last edited by Sick97SS; 09-15-2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-15-2009, 02:59 PM
Default damn those laces

ive had my laces hang up on the pegs and have come very close that way.

Old 10-19-2009, 08:55 PM

one week after getting my first bike.. i pulled into my gravel driveway and parked on my cement block off to the side of my drive.. decided i would pull it into the garage instead.. about 35 feet down the driveway.. i stayed on the right hand side, mix of gravel and grass. i only had small distance to go so i kinda let the clutch out and rode away sorta fast, feet still down.. i pulled up infront of the garage and barely touched the front brake and the front tire slid out to the right.. i put my left foot down but it dug in the deep gravel and slide out.. so im sorta doing the splits over the bike and barely let it touch the gravel and yanked it back up right... no damage except the small white scratches from the gravel and a bruised ego.. lesson learned

Old 12-17-2009, 07:42 PM
No Selling Until 100 Posts

I actually had my moment today......LOL.......I was cruising up to a light and I felt the bottom of my jeans on my right leg get caught on the peg guard. As I approached the light, I stopped and rested on my left leg as I usually do. As I proceeded to look down to my right side to undo my jeans, the bike started to tilt. Well, my first reaction was to put my right foot down, but since it my leg was stuck underneath my jeans, I had no choice but to tip over ever so slowly. At this point, I'm pissed off at my jeans and trying to lift the bike up. Once I get it up, I was still in shock at what just happened. Since I'm short (5'6"), I proceeded to mount the bike from the right side, now, having only been riding for 2 weeks, let just say I wasn't accustomed to this and now the bike is starting to fall again. Half way tilted over, I gave it all I could and manage to lift the bike up again. Now, I'm just standing there for about 15 seconds trying to find another way to get on and ride off. At that point, I was like xxxk it and ever so slowly manage to get on from the right side again. Once I was comfortable and relaxed, I simply rode of but took the back roads to get to where I was going because I didn't want to show face...........LOL!!!

Once I got home, I said never again and installed zip ties on both sides.....LOL!

Name:  DSCN0056.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  87.5 KB
Name:  DSCN0055.jpg
Views: 84
Size:  89.3 KB

I concluded that it's more embarrassing to lay your bike down in front of 30+ cars than to have someone question the zip ties. Oh boy, I'm still laughing at myself!!!

Quick Reply: The "Noob Drop"