Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

The "Noob Drop"

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aken
That was my last dump. Very very minor right hand turn and a giant patch of pea gravel. LAME. Though I didn't feel too stupid - I was riding with a handful of friends at the time. Was more pissed off that my sexy little machine got all scratched up.
Glad someone else did this too. Now i don't feel like such a retard. Never help when your buddy's are standing there laughing at your expence.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:26 PM

LOL yea I was riding with my freind and I usually wait till im almost stopped to put my feet down, and he looks over and is like " umm why in the hell are you setting your bike down?" Ive been riding for quite a while and this was the first and probably wont be the last.

Old 08-19-2009, 03:28 PM

I've been riding for over 20 years and I still almost drop my bike all the time. hahah

I almost dropped it the other day in an Arby's parking lot with like 15 high school kids watching. Went to put my foot down on uneven pavement and lost my footing. Did the one legged noob hop and was able to save it.

Knock on wood, I have had any "oops" moves since 1999.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:44 PM

a few months ago i was at a buddys house. its been raining all day so i stayed their until it stopped. by this time its dark outside. i start driving down the drive way. at the very end theirs a car in the way so i gotta go through the grass a little bit. little did i know his drive way was lined with wood. wet wood = broken shifter and a bruised ego

Old 08-20-2009, 03:05 PM

i've had so many close calls in the 5 months of riding but i know the noob drop will happen someday. all at slow speeds, avoiding my dog on day 1 in the driveway. grabbed the front brake to hard. shifted my body forward and lost side to side balance. caught it before the ground. thats happened 3 times to me. trying to move around at a gas station, everything feels so slick, several close calls there.

i got this mental vision in my head everytime im out that ima go down and it kinda prepares me n helps prevent it.

Old 09-03-2009, 10:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Noob Double Drop

Just happened today and the end result is calling a friend and leaving my bike in another state...

Took my first highway ride because the bike has been acting funny at high RPM but city riding hasn't let me keep it there to see how bad it is (it's bad, story for another thread). So I take a jaunt to NJ heading towards AC. The bike has no power in any gear past about 5k rpm so I exit at Deptford to check a few things. Stop in a K-Mart parking lot and while pulling into a spot, I dump her over on the left side.

Result: Broken clutch lever (sonovabich)

But it's not completely snapped off. There's enough that I can still operate the clutch. I don't have the fine control over the clutch with the full lever. But I figure most of the ride won't need the clutch except to shift (aka full in / out). So I start to head back. While exiting the K-Mart parking lot, waiting for a big enough opening in traffic. Get one but I can find the friction zone with the broken lever. Bike stalls out on an incline and I drop it AGAIN. This time on the right side.

Result: Cleanly snapped off front brake lever

Now common sense is screaming "I did that on purpose so you'll stop being stupid". That was around 6pm. Had to wait till about 10:30pm before a friend got free to come get me. And worst of all:

I had to leave my bike in a parking lot in NJ. I inched it over to a hotel and parked it in a spot right next to the hotel entrance / office. It's a major hotel (and got friendly with a guest) so I'm praying it'll be cool there. Thankfully the hotel had a bar cause I'm hammered for being that stupid

Old 09-03-2009, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by drax13
true story... i was riding home after work was maybe 2 lights away from home when at the red light i decided to pick a wedgie that was driving me nuts needless to say in the process i hadnt squeezed my leggs tight enough to the tank ...end result bike was laying down,mind you this was at 5 pm rush hour traffic i felt real small ....thats my dumbest moment
That is screamingly funny! Thanks. Still laughing....

I don't remember actually dropping the bike since forever, but I few years back when I wasn't so comfortable on the bike I would let it get leaned over just a little to far and have to save it. Since that bike weighs about 700 lbs it always result is me pulling as *** muscle and remembering it for a day or two.

Last edited by JHouse; 09-03-2009 at 10:52 PM.
Old 09-04-2009, 06:31 AM

The only noob drop i've had is when i had my first bike for about a week. pulled it into the garage after riding it, cut it off, got off, and started taking my gear off. got my helmet and gloves off and i see what i think is the bike slowly moving. im like WTF? how is it moving forward? the slow movement forward is proceeded by it slowly start moving to the side. so in quick reaction i grab the right handlebar, and slowly ease it to the ground. (i was 140 lbs and the bike weighed 450). what happened? I put the kickstand down, but didnt make sure it was FULLY down. the bike slowly went forward as the kickstand decided to go back to the up posistion. I now put a kickstand down, and roll the bike back a little, and make sure kickstand is fully extended.

(the hardest part? me trying to pick the bike back up to a standing posistion by myself!) haha

Old 09-04-2009, 05:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by intiractive
(the hardest part? me trying to pick the bike back up to a standing posistion by myself!) haha
Yeah I know. Sprained my wrist yesterday doing that on an incline

Old 09-04-2009, 05:53 PM
Ladies Lounge Moderator

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Just happened today and the end result is calling a friend and leaving my bike in another state...

Took my first highway ride because the bike has been acting funny at high RPM but city riding hasn't let me keep it there to see how bad it is (it's bad, story for another thread). So I take a jaunt to NJ heading towards AC. The bike has no power in any gear past about 5k rpm so I exit at Deptford to check a few things. Stop in a K-Mart parking lot and while pulling into a spot, I dump her over on the left side.

Result: Broken clutch lever (sonovabich)

But it's not completely snapped off. There's enough that I can still operate the clutch. I don't have the fine control over the clutch with the full lever. But I figure most of the ride won't need the clutch except to shift (aka full in / out). So I start to head back. While exiting the K-Mart parking lot, waiting for a big enough opening in traffic. Get one but I can find the friction zone with the broken lever. Bike stalls out on an incline and I drop it AGAIN. This time on the right side.

Result: Cleanly snapped off front brake lever

Now common sense is screaming "I did that on purpose so you'll stop being stupid". That was around 6pm. Had to wait till about 10:30pm before a friend got free to come get me. And worst of all:

I had to leave my bike in a parking lot in NJ. I inched it over to a hotel and parked it in a spot right next to the hotel entrance / office. It's a major hotel (and got friendly with a guest) so I'm praying it'll be cool there. Thankfully the hotel had a bar cause I'm hammered for being that stupid
Aww D'oh. I'm sorry.

Quick Reply: The "Noob Drop"