Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

The "Noob Drop"

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 10:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The "Noob Drop"

Alright guys so here is the story. I was enjoying a nice long day of riding all over town. It was time to head home and there are a few lights before we get to the highway. I am begininng to stop at one and I notice my boot string is caught on the heel guard. Easy enough I just put my other foot down. Well needless to say the same thing happened again and this time I def was waiting to put my foot down till I was about stopped. LOL so my foot string was caught around the heel guard again and I simply lay my bike down right on the side of the road. I was at a state of pissed off I cant even describe. Anyone else with good stories?

Old 08-15-2009, 10:24 AM

true story... i was riding home after work was maybe 2 lights away from home when at the red light i decided to pick a wedgie that was driving me nuts needless to say in the process i hadnt squeezed my leggs tight enough to the tank ...end result bike was laying down,mind you this was at 5 pm rush hour traffic i felt real small ....thats my dumbest moment

Old 08-15-2009, 12:34 PM

back a couple years ago when i got my FIRST bike, a 1992 GSXR 750.. BRIGHT *** yellow. i traded my 90 supra for it. we met up in a Albertson's parkinglot. and of course i didnt know how to ride at all. i mean when he pulled up i was like wow.. bikes are HUGE! i've never even been that close to a bike. so of course im like whatever i can ride this! so we sign the papers.. i put on the helmet and sit on the bike. he gets in the supra and drives off. im like ****.. i better not look stupid cuz if i drop it..im fu*CKD. so right when i stand the bike up right.. it falls to the right.. and BAM!.. im on the ground laying with the bike in a crowded albertsons parking lot..hahah.. good thing there were nothing but huge trucks by us so not EVERYONE saw.. some nice people came over to help me lift up the bike. then i called my friend over to ride it home for me.

Old 08-15-2009, 12:46 PM

I hit sand one time at 5mph or so pulling into a gas station. There went my front wheel...sliding like it was on ice.

Old 08-15-2009, 06:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen a lot of people get their jeans caught on the peg trying to put put their foot down. It's amazing that they don't just put the other leg down & balance, but they just persevere like their in shock or something until the bike leans past the point of no return.
I've done the "tippy, tippy, going to fall, no I'll make it, nope going to fa......"
Throwing a U turn, but as you come round, a car or another bike comes by, so you hit front anchors, but a tad to much, front suspension compresses & makes the bike tip in the half turn more & even with your leg on the ground, the bikes momentum & lean, means you still moving, hopping on the one leg, but trying to hold the bike up till it finally hits the road & the momentum throws you **** over on the ground beside it.

Old 08-15-2009, 10:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't have a good story, but I stayed away from the "string on the outside" boots because of advice from people on this forum; and for my jeans, I use a rubber-band to hold them tight at the ankles. This helps prevent mishaps.

It is humbling to read about other rider's mishaps as learning material. Just think that now you are much better riders than before and it should make you feel good when you look back and see how you've come a long way.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:35 AM
Sprocket Hauler and Savior

The first time i droped mine was in my buddy's drive way. We had just bought the bike and i was wearing my tennies cause i didn't know any better at the time and they caught on the rear set. I did what any noob does and patenct a little did the booble the bike back and forth. As i laid the bike down on the left side my shoe lace came off and i just didn't have enough strength at the time to lift it by myself nor did i have the still to save it.

The second time i did it was at a gas station. I had come to a complete stop and had put just one foot down on the right side when i slide on some sand that they have thrown down to soak up some gas. Good thing the pump was right there to catch me. Didn't lay it down that time but my side really hurt from that one.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:06 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drunkinmist
The first time i droped mine was in my buddy's drive way. We had just bought the bike and i was wearing my tennies cause i didn't know any better at the time and they caught on the rear set. I did what any noob does and patenct a little did the booble the bike back and forth. As i laid the bike down on the left side my shoe lace came off and i just didn't have enough strength at the time to lift it by myself nor did i have the still to save it.

The second time i did it was at a gas station. I had come to a complete stop and had put just one foot down on the right side when i slide on some sand that they have thrown down to soak up some gas. Good thing the pump was right there to catch me. Didn't lay it down that time but my side really hurt from that one.
Had a work friend some years ago, decided to get back into bikes, got a brand new BMW K1200RT, heated grips, seat, the works, picked it up from the bike shop & tootled over to show it off to some friends. As he was maneuvering it around in their driveway, lost balance & it fell over. He stuck his arm out to break his fall & ripped all the tendons, (as well as dislocating) his shoulder, ended up in plaster for months + physio for a year before he got over it. bike had like 28 kays on the clock, which he sold two weeks after he stacked it.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:12 AM
July 2008 ROTM

Originally Posted by shaver
I hit sand one time at 5mph or so pulling into a gas station. There went my front wheel...sliding like it was on ice.
That was my last dump. Very very minor right hand turn and a giant patch of pea gravel. LAME. Though I didn't feel too stupid - I was riding with a handful of friends at the time. Was more pissed off that my sexy little machine got all scratched up.

Old 08-16-2009, 12:20 PM

pace...there is no point of return....this is from my almost noob drop...on the bike walking it backwards out of the shops lot which was gravel at the time...i slip bike slips...i catch it with every ounce of strength in me...i kid you not...no more than 4 inches from the ground...and muscle that sumbish back up..tired as hell afterwards...but no drop

Quick Reply: The "Noob Drop"