Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Newb needs some help...

Old 02-18-2009, 03:40 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newb needs some help...

Hey everyone, my first time being here and I am looking at owning a first bike as well! Exciting stuff, anyways...

I am 19, have had SOME (And I say some with audacity) experience with low displacement sport bikes (125 CBR and the 250 CBR Hurricane) Being from North America I don't have many options for a 250 starter bike and anything over 500 is out of the question for reasons of affordability (Still a college student.)

To start off, I had ridden dirtbikes and low displacement street bikes for a few years previously, so I have a little bit of experience but I know for a fact I wouldn't be ready for the throttle response on a 600 + CC bike. Last summer me and my buddy took his 88' 250 CBR Hurricane to Toronto (Nuak's JDM's) to get a new fairing for the bike and I noticed he had several models that were on sale. Now, he is the only one in our region, or for that fact that I know of to sell the CBR 250, from what I understand its not available in North America.

I was very impressed with my friends bike, which he unfortunately had to sell, but it had some issues with it. It had a gas leak early when he bought it, the rear shock was shot amongst other things. Nuak's JDM do not give you the History of the bike, record or anything. It's basically an "As is" deal.

So, I have been looking at either the 250 CBR Hurricane or the 250 Ninja. I really liked the Hurricane cause it had a decent amount of weight to it, and could still haul without feeling like a plastic toy (The old EX's are really light).

With respects to that my first question would be, should I be dealing with this guy from Nuak's JDM's (Keep in mind he knew NOTHING about the bike, and he had several on floor. He didn't even know the CC's looking at the side of the bike next to the other ones) and chance saving 500 to 1 grand from a Ninja. Or should I just get a Ninja and be safe knowing parts are readily available?

If possible, can anyone tell me more about the CBR250 as well; I am trying to research as much as possible. Thanks in advance!