Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Need some help - bike shopping questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2012, 12:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed, unfortunately the Wifey and I have been looking into our finances more and its looking like I can barely afford one this year. So what I will be doing instead is getting my gear and license this year, then next year (Early Spring) look into it more thoroughly .

Old 07-16-2012, 06:00 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

that chain sucks, is the bike kept outside? i know you said you're passing on it because of finances, but i think you should have probably just passed in general.

as far as under the tail - that's chain lube - not burn out rubber. notice how it's all above the chain. the "non-flick" stuff comes off and ***** up like that

Old 07-16-2012, 06:17 PM
Retired Super Moderator - At large E=MC2
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you can barely afford it, I think you're making a wise choice.
Used bikes aren't always a money pit, but I always recommend, budgeting
15%-20% of your dollars for post-purchase investment.

Be it tires, tune-up, carb/body work, cain-sprockets...There will be something
that needs to be addressed to make it your own safe/reliable machine.

Just keep stuffing change in the cookie jar, by waiting and assuring your budget,
you'll avoid the pain of entering the sport and not being able to maintain your bike,
well enough, to actually participate in it.

Ern

Old 07-16-2012, 06:19 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Patience, get a bike that's been garaged, no down....for that price $2800....you should be able to get one in great condition, meaning garage kept, never down for $3000 give or take....don't settle for less...be patience, even if you are ready to buy with $$ in hand, I'll pass on this one...

Old 07-17-2012, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Conrice
that chain sucks, is the bike kept outside? i know you said you're passing on it because of finances, but i think you should have probably just passed in general.

as far as under the tail - that's chain lube - not burn out rubber. notice how it's all above the chain. the "non-flick" stuff comes off and ***** up like that
Not just financing, the guy neglected the bike . Yeah he has definitely left the bike outside a lot... when I got there and started up the bike it had rough start due to him not using it for 2 weeks...

I'm just going to get my gear and license and save up some money to put down on a loan for one next year (Early/Mid Spring).

Old 07-17-2012, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by estate4life
Patience, get a bike that's been garaged, no down....for that price $2800....you should be able to get one in great condition, meaning garage kept, never down for $3000 give or take....don't settle for less...be patience, even if you are ready to buy with $$ in hand, I'll pass on this one...
I'm a big advocate for a first bike being one that has some scratches/cracks/dings on it. The odds of someone dropping their bike at somepoint in their first year of riding is very high. Hell, I dropped my old ninja the first day I got it and again a couple months down the road (both at a dead stop). I couldn't tell which scratches I put on the bike from the ones already there. Didn't ruin my day, picked the bike up and kept on riding.

I really don't think finding a garage kept, never down, mechanically sound, bike for under $3k is very realistic (unless you are looking at something much older). While I think that yellow F4 you posted was priced a bit high, it was not a bike you should be running from. It had some very minor damage to the body/signals and maybe a bit of mechanical neglect. However, the more expensive F4i you posted before it might have looked cleaner, but all of the fairings were either painted or aftermarket (typically a sign that there has been some significant damage).

Your next bike can always be the one that looks like it just came off the showroom floor, and you'll have a better chance of keeping it looking that way. Just something to think about when you start looking again.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by DammitMike
I'm a big advocate for a first bike being one that has some scratches/cracks/dings on it. The odds of someone dropping their bike at somepoint in their first year of riding is very high. Hell, I dropped my old ninja the first day I got it and again a couple months down the road (both at a dead stop). I couldn't tell which scratches I put on the bike from the ones already there. Didn't ruin my day, picked the bike up and kept on riding.

I really don't think finding a garage kept, never down, mechanically sound, bike for under $3k is very realistic (unless you are looking at something much older). While I think that yellow F4 you posted was priced a bit high, it was not a bike you should be running from. It had some very minor damage to the body/signals and maybe a bit of mechanical neglect. However, the more expensive F4i you posted before it might have looked cleaner, but all of the fairings were either painted or aftermarket (typically a sign that there has been some significant damage).

Your next bike can always be the one that looks like it just came off the showroom floor, and you'll have a better chance of keeping it looking that way. Just something to think about when you start looking again.
i agree. i dropped my bike the first day about 10 min after i got it out of the back of my truck. i didn't understand turning into parking spot with the steering turned while i applied the brake made the bike kind of jack-knife the front. and needless to say, i wasn't able to catch it. besides, you'll do some other things that are "first owner, i didn't know any better" things that are just inevitable.

and you won't feel as bad when you drop it if the bike already has a few nicks on it

Old 07-19-2012, 07:48 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a good deal for a starter bike - recommend against going spank yourself new
1st time out

Old 07-20-2012, 09:38 AM

damn, that is a deal