Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Need some help - bike shopping questions

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2012, 03:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Need some help - bike shopping questions

Hi everyone,

I am going to be looking at 2001 Honda CBR600 this weekend. I know this motorcycle is WAY over priced. What I need to know is how much should I pay and at what point should stop bargaining and walk away?

Here is the listing info:

"This bike is fuel injected with only 23 miiles. Very good first time bike. Needs nothing! Just start it up and RIDE

New parts: Plugs, Battery, Oil & Filter 300 miles ago, Fuel Pump, Clutch/Brake levers (hand & foot), Fairings, Windscreen, and Much more im surely missing.

Only looking to get what I have put into it. Bike is ALWAYS kept in the shed when not ridden "

Now on KBB this particular one in my area should be only worth $2,570.

NADA has it priced at $3,570 in excellent condition, but is that not for DEALER maintained pricing?

It has 23,000 miles on it and has had a lot replaced for it being priced that high. What should I watch out for when purchasing CBR at that mileage?

Please help me.

-Ryan

Last edited by gotcbr; 07-11-2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: link removed - info inserted into post
Old 07-11-2012, 05:47 PM

They go for 3-3.5k all day long around here with low mileage. Once in awhile I'll see one over the 4k mark, but it's rare and you'll see the same bike a month later still trying to sell.

Old 07-11-2012, 08:53 PM

Whats the price of the bike?

Old 07-11-2012, 09:16 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

get the bike for the amount of value you think it's worth. if you show up and you just "gotta have it", you shouldn't mind paying a few bucks more than what nada says. if you're dead set on getting the best deal, keep waiting - a better deal will always be further down the road.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:13 AM

Found the listing...guy wants $3,800 for it. Seems a bit high to me...

Old 07-12-2012, 04:39 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

Well in the bay area of cali, F4s (the carbed ones) go for 3k - 3.5k it has a lot to do with how motivated they are to sell and where you live. If your worried he is hiding something than ask him if you can remove the side fairings and take a look inside and see whats up. A lot of the stuff listed sounds pretty routine, except the foot controls. the foot controls make it sound like he wrecked the bike but you will be able to tell once you go check it out. Remember, just because he replaced stuff does not mean he wrecked the bike. Look at my mod log, I started fixing this bike up because it is what I wanted to do to the bike. I got ran off the road and had to replace the clutch cover and that was it as far as crash damage. I guess what I'm trying to say is don't judge the bike before you see it in person.

Last edited by CJardine; 07-12-2012 at 04:43 AM.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:35 AM

Woops, sry I meant to put the listing in the original post.

I got pictures of it!

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  70.2 KB
Name:  3.png
Views: 22
Size:  511.5 KBName:  2.jpg
Views: 23
Size:  79.9 KBName:  1.jpg
Views: 24
Size:  89.0 KB

Old 07-13-2012, 12:55 PM

WELL! I wont be getting that one. It's in New Hampshire (Craigslist likes to mix states I take it, oops) ... that's a nightmare for me. Inspection, transfer fee... and whatever else may happen.

I am instead going to look into this one. Although this one sounds like the kid was rough with it. New tires, sprocket, chain, and one of the front rotors is bent. How difficult is it to put the new rotor on? I've looked at the manual, but I doubt I will have the time to do that.

Ad info:
1999 cbr 600 f4 brand new tires chain and rear sprocket, slightly bent front rotor still runs rides and looks great. $2800.

Last edited by gotcbr; 07-13-2012 at 01:10 PM. Reason: CL link removed - ad info inserted
Old 07-13-2012, 01:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^ That's a more fair deal. From the pic, it looks decent. Of course, more pics would help. And, an in-person inspection would tell the tale.

The F4 is a great bike. I have the 2000 version.

Changing rotors isn't difficult if you can turn a wrench.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by gotcbr
^ That's a more fair deal. From the pic, it looks decent. Of course, more pics would help. And, an in-person inspection would tell the tale.

The F4 is a great bike. I have the 2000 version.

Changing rotors isn't difficult if you can turn a wrench.
Oh okay, good.

When a parts place says "left" and "right" rotors it's saying that it is when your sitting on the bike instead not standing in from of it correct? Its a stupid question I know...

Quick Reply: Need some help - bike shopping questions