Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Near death experience

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2011, 05:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Near death experience

So today my buddy and I were ridin up through the hills on our way to a sports bar. I start goin around a left bend when some guy in an SUV coming the opposite direction starts drifting into my lane. Both of us were probably doing about 40-45mph. With gravel to my right, I could only make a slight adjustment, but it was enough to miss the vehicle. My friend said he missed me by about a foot. Had I stayed on that line, I probably wouldn't be here.

Anyone else have any close encounters?

Old 06-13-2011, 06:13 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Glad you're ok.

Last edited by gotcbr; 06-13-2011 at 06:14 PM. Reason: sp
Old 06-13-2011, 06:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ack. Also glad you're OK.

Old 06-15-2011, 06:57 AM

first trip i took on my first bike was to the dragons tail, 2000 F4. My buddy i went with lead the first time thru so i get a feel for it then i lead on the way back i was hittin the corners fairly hard but one in particular i went a little hot into. i leaned the bike hard into the corner and ended up smashin my footpeg into the pavement sparks flying, hit hard enough that it lifted my rear tire just a little bit and basically slid on the foot peg into the middle of the other lane the rear tire contacted and the bike stood up thank God. Only thing that was wrong was i broke the stopper off the bottom of the foot peg. i was near the center line when it happened so wasnt a far slide just a couple feet it all happened in like 2 seconds but had there been oncoming traffic i would have been a hood ornament. My buddy said he about poop himself when he saw that. I was like oh yea i think might have to leave my undies on the side of the of the road here lol.

Old 06-15-2011, 08:17 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn that must have been quite a lean. I scrapped a peg last week with a passenger on the back (on an awesome a long off ramp) but that was mainly because of the extra weight that the peg scraped made contact.

Not as serious as your stories but a friend of mine on a liter bike just came off a roundabout and had to make a left corner then right turn to get to his house. On the sharpish left bend he chopped the throttle (accidentally) and lifted his front tire right when he was leaning over. The tire came back down and it resulted in a small 'highside'-esk jerk. He pooped his pants on that one too. If he had gone quicker or the jerk would have been more violent he would either have landed in the bushes/pond (not so bad) or missed the bushes and hit the car that was coming up the side street (slight incline).

Old 06-15-2011, 09:19 AM

wow, glad to here Ur alright... Ive been lucky and for some reason ppl leave me alone on my bike but try and smash the crap out of my car.. Ive only had one close call where I literally hit the chicks window (with my fist, then proceeded to flip her off) bc she made a right hand turn right on me luckily no one was in the oncoming lane...

Old 06-15-2011, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by UnderAssumedName
Damn that must have been quite a lean. I scrapped a peg last week with a passenger on the back (on an awesome a long off ramp) but that was mainly because of the extra weight that the peg scraped made contact.

Not as serious as your stories but a friend of mine on a liter bike just came off a roundabout and had to make a left corner then right turn to get to his house. On the sharpish left bend he chopped the throttle (accidentally) and lifted his front tire right when he was leaning over. The tire came back down and it resulted in a small 'highside'-esk jerk. He pooped his pants on that one too. If he had gone quicker or the jerk would have been more violent he would either have landed in the bushes/pond (not so bad) or missed the bushes and hit the car that was coming up the side street (slight incline).

yea my old F4 was lowered from the previous owner not much to where i fealt like changin it back but enough to when i leaned hard it would hit peg fairly easily.

Old 06-17-2011, 02:04 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sumone
wow, glad to here Ur alright... Ive been lucky and for some reason ppl leave me alone on my bike but try and smash the crap out of my car.. Ive only had one close call where I literally hit the chicks window (with my fist, then proceeded to flip her off) bc she made a right hand turn right on me luckily no one was in the oncoming lane...
I did this last week... on a BICYCLE! I was on my way to the gym, which is too close to pull out the bike, and this woman (luckily most cars are small here) took a left and came right beside me.

Closer, closer. CLOSER *me shouting*, CLOSER STILL *BANG*. I punched the passenger window and the three occupants jumped. There was the female driver, a butch lady in the passenger seat and a guy in the rear right seat. Mrs. Butch asked what I was doing and I asked her wtf they were all doing?! USE YOUR ****ING EYES LADY! The guy in the back said that the car was not my property and I shouldn't touch it "this is my property and you nearly run me off the road!".

True, you shouldn't touch other people's property but I had a reason to react. It's not like I deliberately keyed the car. Butchy starts cussing up a storm saying that I could have smashed the window in her face which made me laugh.

I get pushed off the road and it's my fault my instincts kicked in? The kept on swearing so I called her a lesbo and that's when they got pissed and got out haha. I just went on my merry way laughing at the tards.

I have yet to come close enough to have to punch or kick a car but it's only a matter of time for sure.

Old 06-17-2011, 07:07 PM

some people have serious cyclist respect issues i was cut off today and doushebag laughed. I have had lots of close calls and been hit before aswell. Ive been targeted on purpose a few times.. I love riding I just back from bike store 25 mile round trip.. LOTS of hills was a good ride.