Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Motorola Droid

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2009, 09:00 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

VZW emailed me today to tell me:
  1. I qualify as a VIP customer
  2. I can use my early upgrade option whenever I wish

They also included in the email offers for the Storm 2 and the Droid. Now I'm stuck. I have a Storm and Blackberries are simply powerhouses. They're not as flashy as other phones but my Storm has yet to fail me, even when I'm taxing the hell out of it...

Yet the Storm 2 isn't much of an upgrade over the original. Mostly hardware fixes & wifi, as the original now has the OS 5 running on it as well. The Droid is a completely different animal from the Storm and Blackberries. And the Droid has definitely piqued my interest.

I've got a couple hundred laying round here somewhere. And my girlfriend already offered to upgrade my Storm as soon as I was eligible. So any feedback now that you guys that have a Droid have had a chance to play with it? Biggest concerns are battery life & messaging. I receive about 40-60 emails / day, replying (real replies, not 1 sentence) to about 10. And prolly send about 2-4 mixed media emails (attached photos / videos) per week. Don't ask about texts. Its ugly (oh yeah, does the Droid do threaded txt conversations?).

Looking to buy in the next day or two, latest Sunday

Old 11-10-2009, 11:15 PM
October 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have yet to have an issue with my Droid. This thing is simply amazing. I went to my dentist this weekend and we were talking and found out he bought one on Friday and he said the iPhone is cool but this is so much more powerful. Battery life is good. I am on my phone a lot and it will last all day. I send a lot of text and emails and I find typing on it a breeze. The qwerty keyboard is easy to use but I find myself using the touch screen keyboard more. The internet is quick and yes the Droid does to threaded texts. Let me know if you have any other questions

Old 11-10-2009, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by R Dub
I have yet to have an issue with my Droid. This thing is simply amazing. I went to my dentist this weekend and we were talking and found out he bought one on Friday and he said the iPhone is cool but this is so much more powerful. Battery life is good. I am on my phone a lot and it will last all day. I send a lot of text and emails and I find typing on it a breeze. The qwerty keyboard is easy to use but I find myself using the touch screen keyboard more. The internet is quick and yes the Droid does to threaded texts. Let me know if you have any other questions
Been hearing about a camera issue. People saying that the autofocus works intermittently. And that it's noisy. Been a leaked document saying the autofocus issue will be addressed around Dec 11th.

Any camera issues? Definitely going by the VZ store tomorrow (gonna have to remember to ride with my backpack )

Old 11-11-2009, 08:01 AM
October 2011 ROTM

I have not heard about the camera issue. I have really only used the camera once to test it out and I thought that it took a really good shot. I will play with it more today and see if I notice anything. The flash on the camera is not the greatest but it has one which is more than most phones can say.

Old 11-11-2009, 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by R Dub
I have not heard about the camera issue. I have really only used the camera once to test it out and I thought that it took a really good shot. I will play with it more today and see if I notice anything. The flash on the camera is not the greatest but it has one which is more than most phones can say.
The camera autofocuses but doesn't give the 'green frame' indication that it autofocused correctly. uknown if it affects quality

Old 11-12-2009, 08:37 AM
October 2011 ROTM

I see what your talking about with the camera being loud but you will only notice it if there is dead silence. With any sort of background noise you will never hear it. The camera on this phone is by far the best camera than on any other phone that I have own, It is quite up to par as a regular digital camera, but not far from.

This phone also comes with a 16GB Micro SD card. You can buy a 32 GB card if you want and buying a SD card is a lot cheaper than buying a whole new phone like you would have to do with the iPhone. Also you can take it out, put it in you computer, your digital camera, PS3, ect and if you ever break your phone just take it out put it in the new one and your good to go. Try doing that with the iPhone.

Old 11-12-2009, 07:24 PM
Official Welcome Crew Redneck

i stopped by verizon today to see what all the hype was about. holy crap, that phone is crazy fast. wasnt sure about the touch screen thing but it seemed to work well with my fat fingers. stuck in my contract until may. have to talk to the wifey....xmas time is near