Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

(New Toy) Droid X first impressions (and some biiiig pictures)

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default (New Toy) Droid X first impressions (and some biiiig pictures)

Meh, Verizon may as well just offer me a 1 year contract. I've never hit the 2 year mark without changing phones. Grabbed a Droid X on release day. Overall, I'm confident this phone will keep me satisfied for another year

First Impressions: Size
Ok, this thing is freakin huge! I was forewarned from previews and sneak peeks. But till I actually held it, I really didn't comprehend that they meant it when they said it was BIG. Forget any universal cases you have laying about. It won't fit. And VZW didn't have any leather pouches that sat horizontal in yet. So I got the swivel holster. And it stays horizontal out of a fear that if I put it in a vertical position, it'll start hitting me in my knee But it does fit very comfortably in my hand, feels very solid but not weighty. And the screen is great. Only way it could be better is if it were AMOLED. But it's crisp, clear and vibrant. No trouble seeing it in full daylight unless I'm wearing my Ray Bans.

Speed:
This phone is very, very fast. Flicking thru the home screens, apps or webpages is extremely smooth. About twice as smooth as my original Droid even when rooted and overclocked to 1 ghz. I ported over about 50 pics and vids from my old phone. Flicking thru the gallery is like flipping thru the pages of a book: fast and smooth. They redesigned the gallery to use an iPhone-esque coverflow and it really flows.

UI:
Standard Android UI with a Motorola twist. On top of the Android widgets there are now also Motorola Widgets. I never experienced MotoBlur but my understanding is this is it or very similar. Doesn't bother me. I do like the ability to resize the Motorola widgets. They also added things like quick tasks for contacts. So I can setup a widget for an individual contact on my screen with 2 tasks attached. Like I can jump straight to their address in Google Maps and view any updates they've made in any social networks (Facebook, Twitter, Myspace) I've linked to their name.

Motorola also added voice commands back into the UI. So I can say "Send Text to Felipe" and it will automatically begin a new text message to his mobile #. And with voice to text, I can simply say whatever message I want to send without having to use the virtual keyboard. Although with the huge screen, the keyboard is extremely easy to use. If you fat fingered before on other phones, you'll find it way easier now.

Phone:
It's Verizon Wireless. They "Rule the Air". Clear calls. No dropped calls. And I don't have to hold my phone a specific way to avoid blocking the signal

Camera:
Not as much control over the settings as I'd like. But definitely good enough to avoid carrying a point n shoot. Warning: BIG PICTURES COMING

More to come as I play with it more

Last edited by Kuroshio; 07-17-2010 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Those are some big *** pics man!

Old 07-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Nice, My Verizon contract is up and I have the Blackberry Tour, I like the phone but I know im missing out on apps as this thing has a few but none i've fell in love with.

Old 07-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RojerLockless
Nice, My Verizon contract is up and I have the Blackberry Tour, I like the phone but I know im missing out on apps as this thing has a few but none i've fell in love with.
I came from a Blackberry Storm. I miss some of the functionality and configurability of the 'berries. But I doubt I can go back after getting the first Droid.

Old 07-18-2010, 10:53 PM

i got the droid just a bit ago so i have to wait like another year an a half and by then they will prob a have a newer droid out haha... but for now the droid more than suits my needs

Old 07-18-2010, 11:06 PM

Verizon does have the best coverage, but there plans suck. I'm with sprint and the HTC hero is a great phone but in december I'm getting the evo. Johnnyh