Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

This may be really stupid...

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 07:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: This may be really stupid...

Here is what I have, note the speakers are not mine, they are the previous owners (I have cerwin vega LS-10's)

The photo on the bottom right is the projector hanging from the ceiling. Its one of the new Sharp DLP HDTV ones, supposed to be 1080i, the works. I'll let you know how I like it after Jan 7th (LSU vs Ohio State).

Old 12-29-2007, 01:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox] But no projection TV (DLP, CRT, SXRD, LCD, HDILA, etc) will ever compare to the quality, brightness or vivid colors that a flat panel LCD can produce.
Theres a difference between overall brightness and "pop", and actual color quality. Its a known fact that professional tv calibrators dont prefer LCD sets. Black levels being the major reason. Another being LCD's not having a true HD native resolution, unless of course its a 1080p set. DLP blows LCD out of the water when it comes to actual picture quality, clarity, and accuracy. I've done the comparisons myself, which is why I own a DLP instead of an LCD.

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox]As for DLP's........

They're good televisions, and by far the best of their kind, which is projection. But put a flat panel next to a projection and you will immediately see the difference. The projections are very dim and lack color or depth compared to a flat panel when you compare them. So, compared to eachother, here's how they stack up.
Youre starting to sound like you work at Best Buy or something, or you dont understand how to set up a television. Overall brightness means nothing when it comes to TV comparisons. DLP and LCD RPTV's produce a more natural, film like picture whereas flat panels produce the most "pop" and brightness, which is good if you want a wow factor from your family and neighbors, but not necessarily accurate picture reproduction.

Using your thought process, you make it sound like flat panels also beat out projectors

Old 12-29-2007, 02:43 PM

I got 56' Samsung DLP - play most of my xbox games in 1080p and watch TV on Digital Cable anywhere from 720i - 1080i (1080i is the highest they broadcast on TV right now) HDTV is way better than regular SDTV.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:59 PM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RichB

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox] But no projection TV (DLP, CRT, SXRD, LCD, HDILA, etc) will ever compare to the quality, brightness or vivid colors that a flat panel LCD can produce.
Theres a difference between overall brightness and "pop", and actual color quality. Its a known fact that professional tv calibrators dont prefer LCD sets. Black levels being the major reason. Another being LCD's not having a true HD native resolution, unless of course its a 1080p set. DLP blows LCD out of the water when it comes to actual picture quality, clarity, and accuracy. I've done the comparisons myself, which is why I own a DLP instead of an LCD.

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox]As for DLP's........

They're good televisions, and by far the best of their kind, which is projection. But put a flat panel next to a projection and you will immediately see the difference. The projections are very dim and lack color or depth compared to a flat panel when you compare them. So, compared to eachother, here's how they stack up.
Youre starting to sound like you work at Best Buy or something, or you dont understand how to set up a television. Overall brightness means nothing when it comes to TV comparisons. DLP and LCD RPTV's produce a more natural, film like picture whereas flat panels produce the most "pop" and brightness, which is good if you want a wow factor from your family and neighbors, but not necessarily accurate picture reproduction.

Using your thought process, you make it sound like flat panels also beat out projectors
Look, I'm not going to argue (on this thread or my other thread) but I will explain myself.

I try to use simple terms to describe an unbelievably complex industry to a person who isn't a techno-junkie. So pardon my misuse of the word "brightness" which I should have stated "overall picture performance" or some garbage like that. Either way, everyone has their own opinions about the picture quality, and what they think looks good/bad.

So VooDoo, the best advice I've heard on this thread yet is to walk into Circuit City, Best Buy, Sears, wherever and compare the pictures for yourself.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:02 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: telgren

Here is what I have, note the speakers are not mine, they are the previous owners (I have cerwin vega LS-10's)

The photo on the bottom right is the projector hanging from the ceiling. Its one of the new Sharp DLP HDTV ones, supposed to be 1080i, the works. I'll let you know how I like it after Jan 7th (LSU vs Ohio State).
You and your previous owner had pretty good taste in speakers. Those are the Klipsch Synergy Series speakers, and are incredible for the price. Your Cerwin's pretty damn good as well.

Old 12-29-2007, 05:36 PM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

So VooDoo, the best advice I've heard on this thread yet is to walk into Circuit City, Best Buy, Sears, wherever and compare the pictures for yourself.
+1 Fox (not to bragging about saying it originally, just saying all of us can say what looks the best to us or throw out technical data but in the end all that means nothing since doodoo's eyeballs will be the ones looking at it) [sm=smiley29.gif]....

hate to make things confusing but there is one CAVEAT to comparing them in the stores. Many stores use very bright unnatural lighting that's completely different than what you will be using in your home, therefore many of them use factory default settings which further throw off what it'll look like in your home. It's not that big of a deal really, just saying if at all possible try to find a store that specializes in home theaters when you do your comparisons (even if you're not buying there) because they usually use more realistic lighting.

p.s. nice set-up there telly. I considered projection as well but the room I put mine in isn't dark enough.

p.s. Let's not turn this into a whose dad can beat up whose dad thread ... besides, we all know "plasma" sounds the most futuristic [sm=alien.gif]
[sm=icon_sneaky.gif][8D]

Old 12-29-2007, 08:31 PM
Retired Moderator

I am going to buy a tv that transports me 10 years into the future, where I will beat up everybody's dad because...well, they are ten years older and I will be the same age.

Name:  NelsonHahaII.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  19.9 KB

Old 12-29-2007, 08:44 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Another thing to consider (imo) if your going to blow your hard earned jack on a TV, i would not go to best buy or circuit city. Go to a specialty store that can get or has the top of the line models. Just like buying a stereo or other items, best buy has some nice ones, but they dont carry the cadillac models. Best buy has a TV similar to mine, a Mitsubishi 65" DLP 1080p,its a very nice TV. However it does not ever hold a candle to the diamond series which i purchased elsewhere. If your gonna drop a lot of cash get the best ya can.

Old 12-29-2007, 10:35 PM
Retired Moderator

^^ The problem with the "specialty" stores is you pay a premium for the televisions. I used to work at BBY, and no, we didn't carry the Diamond Series Mitsu's, but we did carry the high end Sony XBR's and Toshiba Cinema Series. Just depends on what brand you are looking at. But if you can find a true high-end HT shop, you will be amazed at the brands you never heard of before, and how much better they are (and how a TV can run the same price as a small SUV.)

And even though I hate Sony as a company, I still buy their televisions because they do still make some of the best televisions out there (especially the XBR line). The Toshiba REGZA's would be a very close second though.