General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clip Connecting links...Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 11:58 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clip Connecting links...Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

So this winter I bought a new 520 RK Gold chain set and sprockets for the F4. I bought a clip type connecting link with every intention of driving it only about a mile to the Super-X shop and have him rivet in the right link. I didn't want to buy a chain riveter as I heard they are junk anyway and numb nuts down the street will do it for $10 anyway. Long story short the clip link stayed in longer than I thought, shame the sh*t on of me. I just found out yesterday that it actually is a very bad idea to run those. I've seen posts about it before, but I thought it would be OK for a little while. NOPE.

So before my trip up to Brainerd this weekend I thought I'd do give the chain a good lube. So I went out on the highway by my house, down about 5 miles and back to warm the chain up. Spooled it up to... eh, 140 on the way back just for sh*ts and giggles. Get back, throw it on the stand, lube it up and start wiping some excess off. That's when I notice that the clip holding the plate on the connecting link is gone. Luckily for me that plate was a MF'r to get on there because it fit so tight. That's the only reason it hadn't flown off. God knows how long it was actually missing. I just sat dumbfounded for about 10 minutes, just thinking how luck that chain hadn't came off and wrapped up the back wheel. I hope anyone thinking about putting a clip link on there chain, searches and finds this. Don't do it. NO NO NO! I felt like kicking myself in the nuts for doing that. Guess that's how you really learn huh!

Old 06-11-2009, 02:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The proper tool is cheap compared to wadding a bike when the chain comes off. I do my own maintenance and bought the tool a few years back. I have never regretted it. If you plan on riding for long, even with dipstick down the road doing it for $10 a chain, you will save money.