Potentially Stupid Clip Ons Question - CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

Go Back  CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners > Past CBR Models > CBR 600F
Reload this Page >

Potentially Stupid Clip Ons Question

CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Potentially Stupid Clip Ons Question

  #1  
Old 02-15-2014, 02:26 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 24
Default Potentially Stupid Clip Ons Question

Hey all,

Got a quick beginner question for those more knowledgeable than me, which should be just about everyone!

I'm restoring this old Hurricane, and the PO laid it down on the right side. The clip ons are all banged up now, and unusable for bar end mirrors, which I'm really hoping to run.

I'm trying to pull them off, to either a) install a whole new set, or b) remove the metal tube and get a new set.


HOWEVER... I can't seem to see how to remove the tube from where it goes into the body and then attaches to the fork. Any ideas?




It'd be easier to get a look at it if I could get the whole assembly off, but doing that requires removing the big silver nut in this picture, which I'm assuming is the top of my shock. I'd really love to avoid any suspension related mishaps.

Can anybody walk me through the correct way to remove the clip ons? Or how to replace that tube... I just can't see anywhere where it tightens in, or a bolt that would loosen it.

Thanks!
 
  #2  
Old 02-15-2014, 03:03 PM
74demon's Avatar
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: socal 949/951
Posts: 7,609
Default

To remove the clip on, loosen the pinch bolt, then remove the silver snap ring. Do not remove the big nut on top. It should slide right off easily.
 
  #3  
Old 02-15-2014, 05:08 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 24
Default

Originally Posted by 74demon View Post
To remove the clip on, loosen the pinch bolt, then remove the silver snap ring. Do not remove the big nut on top. It should slide right off easily.
74Demon, You sir, are a saint. I've managed to get both of them off of the forks.

Now, I'd like to replace the tubes that make up the grip, if that makes sense, and keep the connector for the forks. Is that possible? If it is, I'm not seeing how.

Any more input?
 
  #4  
Old 02-15-2014, 05:36 PM
Optimus_Prime's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Vancouver, Canada
Posts: 249
Default

You're possibly trying to separate two parts that are actually one. Like Demon said, loosen the pinch bolt and remove the snap ring. The whole clip-on assembly should then slide up and off the top of the fork. I've labeled your picture for clarity.
 
Attached Thumbnails Potentially Stupid Clip Ons Question-vv28.jpg  
  #5  
Old 02-15-2014, 06:02 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 24
Default

Originally Posted by Optimus_Prime View Post
You're possibly trying to separate two parts that are actually one. Like Demon said, loosen the pinch bolt and remove the snap ring. The whole clip-on assembly should then slide up and off the top of the fork. I've labeled your picture for clarity.
Can you post that picture in your thread? When I click on the attachment it says that I don't have permission to view it.

Thanks so much, by the way!
 
  #6  
Old 02-15-2014, 06:11 PM
dennisgb's Avatar
Senior Member
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 807
Default

As stated above, you need to take the circular clip off that is in the groove in the fork tube (the fork tube is the one with the big nut on it) then loosen the clamp nut on the black part of the clipon handle bar. It will then slide up and off the fork tube.

It sounds like you are thinking the hollow bar end can be removed and replaced. Some clipon handle bars allow this but I'm pretty sure the CBR bars are pressed into the clamp so you can't do that. You will need to replace the whole bar assembly.

Here's a little diagram from your picture:

Name:  Image1_zps06dffe26.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  579.4 KB
 
  #7  
Old 02-15-2014, 06:35 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 1,172
Default

Yeah, sounds like OP is trying to replace the tubes. I do not believe they are separable.

OP, where are you located? I've got a set of clip ons and brand new bar end mirrors I might be willing to let go of.
 
  #8  
Old 02-15-2014, 08:46 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 24
Default

Originally Posted by CorruptFile View Post
Yeah, sounds like OP is trying to replace the tubes. I do not believe they are separable.

OP, where are you located? I've got a set of clip ons and brand new bar end mirrors I might be willing to let go of.
CorruptFile, you hit it on the head, I'm trying to separate the tubes... and alas, looks like they're not separable.

I'm located in Denver, CO. I'd definitely be interested in your clip on's and mirrors. How much would you like for them?
 
  #9  
Old 02-15-2014, 08:50 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 24
Default

Also, does anyone happen to know the thread size of the bar stabilizers that lie inside the OE grips? They're threaded on the end, and I'm curious to see if I can rig something up for mirrors if I knew the thread size... I'm assuming it's metric.
 
  #10  
Old 02-16-2014, 01:00 PM
June 2013 ROTM
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 1,172
Default

Originally Posted by cmengel View Post
I'm located in Denver, CO. I'd definitely be interested in your clip on's and mirrors. How much would you like for them?
EDIT: I looked at ebay and found these. They look in good shape and cheaper than what I would be able to ship them for.
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/87-88-89-90-H...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1
http://www.ebay.ca/itm/87-88-89-90-H...vxp=mtr&_uhb=1

Originally Posted by cmengel View Post
Also, does anyone happen to know the thread size of the bar stabilizers that lie inside the OE grips? They're threaded on the end, and I'm curious to see if I can rig something up for mirrors if I knew the thread size... I'm assuming it's metric.
All the bar ends I've seen (albeit they were all aftermarket) had a rubber bung that was squeezed by a nut. Not sure if oem was the same or not. The few I have are metric, but the threads have varied iirc.
 

Last edited by CorruptFile; 02-16-2014 at 01:03 PM.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Potentially Stupid Clip Ons Question


Advertising
Featured Sponsors
Vendor Directory

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.