Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

This may be really stupid...

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 02:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: This may be really stupid...

u can offord it www.newegg.com (best site ever for electronics) has no payments for 12 months if u spend more then $999 and then monthey playments after that.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:07 PM

Voodoo, hook your Xbox 360 to that Zenith via component cables and get the HD-DVD drive for the 360 and you'll be up to speed. For 179.99 it's a pretty good price, plus you get 6 free HD movies. Direct TV did just come out with a slew of HD channels, my buddy has it and is well worth it. And yeah, you'll need a HDMI/DVI adapter if you do get the Direct TV.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:17 PM
VP

ORIGINAL: rrasco

So Fox, which 42" can I get for 1K and stay away from said brands? Everything in the 1K range in the 42"s is insignia, dynex, and westinghouse and vizio hovers right above that. Any other brand for a 40"+ is gonna run $1300 minimum. I debated picking up a 37" just b/c it is a few hundred bucks cheaper, but I really want a 42" and 1080p typically begins at 42"ish, some 32"s and 37"s are 1080p but mainly sharp aqueos and those are uber pricey.

Don't worry voodoo, I'm still stuck on a SD 27" and have been trying to get into the HD game for a while. I think next month I get to finally take the plunge.
Samsung has a DLP for 42" in the 800-900 dollar range still available at a lot of places... DLP is as good as Plasma and at wayyyyy less than half the cost its worth it... most DLPs are over 50" now so you'll spend a little more for those

Old 12-28-2007, 03:18 PM

I have a plasma HDTV, had Direct tv with HD, but hell theres only a hand full of stations so I canceled that **** real quick....was too damn expensive for hardly any channels in HD.....save your money wait a few years untill all stations are HD. I dont watch enough TV to pay for HD now, our old TV broke so we got a new one, im happy with it.

everybody always talks about burn in....newer plasmas are FAR less likely than they were when they first came out. LCD suffer from retained pixel charge which may produce ghosting(which is what my parents TV does). they can also suffer from dead pixels. they have their ups and downs, a nice Plasma gives a better picture IMO. only thing I like better about LCD is they weigh alot less, makes hanging them on a wall much easier. but LCDs are less fragile.

and if you cant notice any difference in HD than regular then you need your eyes checked. whether it be a small or large tv, Large TV's with HD are Far better, but noticeably difference in the small as well.

Old 12-28-2007, 03:40 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: vpsophmore

So Fox, which 42" can I get for 1K and stay away from said brands? Everything in the 1K range in the 42"s is insignia, dynex, and westinghouse and vizio hovers right above that. Any other brand for a 40"+ is gonna run $1300 minimum. I debated picking up a 37" just b/c it is a few hundred bucks cheaper, but I really want a 42" and 1080p typically begins at 42"ish, some 32"s and 37"s are 1080p but mainly sharp aqueos and those are uber pricey.

Don't worry voodoo, I'm still stuck on a SD 27" and have been trying to get into the HD game for a while. I think next month I get to finally take the plunge.
Samsung has a DLP for 42" in the 800-900 dollar range still available at a lot of places... DLP is as good as Plasma and at wayyyyy less than half the cost its worth it... most DLPs are over 50" now so you'll spend a little more for those
Not a big fan of DLP. If I did go projection, I would go with LCD. However, I still want a flat panel LCD.

Old 12-28-2007, 07:31 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Too each their own for what you like, plas, dlp, or lcd. But come take a look at my DLP Rrasco and i doubt you would buy anything else.

Old 12-28-2007, 11:18 PM

DLP RPTV > LCD RPTV any days of the year, there is ZERO comparison, unless you like the screendoor effect

DLP > Plasma > LCD/LCD RPTV

Its really that simple. Unfortunately plasma is more marketable, therefore the ignorant majority consumers dont know any better

DLP FTW!!!!

Old 12-29-2007, 12:15 AM
Retired Moderator

ORIGINAL: RichB

Its really that simple. Unfortunately plasma is more marketable, therefore the ignorant majority consumers dont know any better
eh, no offense but I don't think it's really that simple ... it's like the mac vs. pc debate .. it has nothing to do with ignorance but what each individual person considers most important to them: Price? Size? HD Picture/color/resolution Quality? Combo? Etc.. etc..

With today's technology, all of them are getting so good that you really can't go wrong with any of them ... best thing to do is go into a store that has all of them in a row showing the exact same movie using the same source and compare them side by side. For me it was a close call, but considering the price, and after a lot of research (consumer reports ratings etc..) I went with plasma because burn in is no longer an issue and also it had the best viewing angles and no edge distortion like some LCDs, and relatively brighter. All the DLPs I looked at had much less side viewing angles and I'm using mine in a rectangular room with the tv in center of long wall so I needed the viewing angles.

But again, like I said, I'm not putting down anyone else's choice .. some of my relatives chose DLP and LCDs and they still look fine imo .. just saying it's not 'ignorant' to choose plasma so there you go and there you be.

Old 12-29-2007, 01:14 AM
Retired Moderator

You can get a 42" 720p Toshiba REGZA for $999. I believe Best Buy had them for that price before I left.

Also, you can get last year model Sony Bravia 1080p V2500's for $1100 on clearance.

If you want a BITCHING HDTV with incredible picture, and incredible value, get the 42" Toshiba 1080p REGZA. They're $1499, but I've seen them as low as $1299 on some weekends at BBY.

And about your television VooDoo.......

It's a CRT projection, which means that video games could "possibly" burn into your TV, so be careful with it. But no projection TV (DLP, CRT, SXRD, LCD, HDILA, etc) will ever compare to the quality, brightness or vivid colors that a flat panel LCD can produce. With that being said, sadly, your CRT projection is one of the blurriest HDTV's out there, so honestly, a regular up-conversion DVD player would look more or less the same as a Blu-ray or HD DVD player. HD channels will look good, but not "OMG! That's flipping amazing" type of good.

As for DLP's........

They're good televisions, and by far the best of their kind, which is projection. But put a flat panel next to a projection and you will immediately see the difference. The projections are very dim and lack color or depth compared to a flat panel when you compare them. So, compared to eachother, here's how they stack up.

1. LCD Flat Panels
2. Plasma Flat Panels
3 Micro-projection Displays (DLP, SXRD, HDILA, LCD, etc)
4. CRT HD Tubes
5 CRT HD Projections (like the one VooDoo has.....sorry)

But if someone was adamant about buying a micro-projection display, I would have to say that Sony still has it in this category. The Sony SXRD projections (preferably the XBR versions) are amazing, followed by Toshiba and Mitsubishi in close 2nd place. Samsung projections are alright, but they lack accuracy of colors compared to the Sony's, Toshiba's and Mitsu's.

Old 12-29-2007, 04:11 AM
Retired Moderator

Thanks, Foxy. That really helps alot! My TV is a good size, but the clarity is just not there. It is hard to read credits after movies, and things like that. I am kind of in the same boat as when I wanted to buy a computer. I have that fear of buying something, and then the next best thing comes out the following week. I guess I just need to take the plunge. Technology just moves way too fast for me. All I want is a huge TV with the finest resolution in the world for under a thousand bucks...is that too much to ask? Thanks to all of you, but it is almost too much for my simple brain. I like your idea, Kewl, aboutsimply going into sayCircuit City, and deciding by what looks good to me. If I am happy, that is all that matters...kind of like bike mods, I guess. I just have to convince the wife. I wonder where I can put the main TV if I get a new one. Maybe in the game room, or maybe in our bedroom.

Quick Reply: This may be really stupid...