Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Maintenance Discouragement

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 09:14 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by IsawAsailboat
...Is there any shame in just taking my bike to a mechanic and just saying, "Here it is! Can you fix it for me?"
No, there is no shame in taking it to the shop...especially when safety is concerned. However, you should have a good idea what needs to be done & how its accomplished. If you don't, just ask the tech/mechanic to tell you. You'll learn & say to yourself, 'I could've done that.' ;-) Then maybe the next time, you'll do it. This kind of goes along w/ what Conrice & others have said above.

Besides the factory Honda service manual (which you should already have downloaded a copy of), there are many helpful tutorials/how-to's here on the forum to help you. Of course, you can always ask questions as well. There''s no shame in asking questions either...but do your homework too! ;-)

There's a maintenance-schedule in the service manual that can serve as a guide to maintenance intervals. However, if you don't have the service records for your bike, you will have to start at whatever your mileage is now.

Many maintenance tasks you *can* do at home w/ basic hand-tools & a set of bike stands, w/o having to know how to tear down an engine & re-build it. ;-) Many of these tasks, save LOTS of money... being able to remove your own wheels to change tires(whether you do it yourself or take them to tire shop), chain & sprocket installation, fork service (replace dust & oil seals) & complete re-build, changing brake pads & maintaining the brake system, changing hoses/fuel lines, oil & filter change, air filter change, radiator/coolant system flush, etc etc etc.

Example... In the past 12-18 mos alone, I've done the following - changed tires, oil & filter changes, flush radiator/coolant system, changed brake pads & flush/bled brake system, changed my fuel line, re-built my forks (& used spare set to keep bike up & running while I was rebuilding the originals), changed/installed new chain & sprockets, changed wheel bearings, checked valve adjustment, etc. I'd shutter to think how much that would've cost at shop! :O ;-) Being a yr-round rider, those maintenance intervals come faster than seasonal riders but the point is still the same.

Glad you weren't injured w/ that broken chain. I've seen some nasty injuries from broken chains & they always serve as reminders to always check the chain & chain-slack. Good chain maintenance is a vital part of everyday riding safety. I highly recommend the chain & sprocket tutorial here on the forum by Incognito if you decide to learn to do it yourself...https://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mecha...et-swap-97641/. <-Its a very well written & documented tutorial that anyone should be able to follow.

In aviation, there are pre-flight checks b/f flight. To that, there's a walk-around visual inspection (including engine), controls check, etc. You should do the same w/ your bike. It only takes a few moments to do this & could mean the difference in the outcome of your day. ;-)

Hang in there. Don't get discouraged. Keep a Positive Mental Attitude. Take on any/some/most of the maintenance items as your experience progresses.

Old 12-13-2012, 07:55 PM
Received 82 Likes on 69 Posts

Tons of good info here!
Find the manual, usually somewhere online free and read up.
Next- find where some of the locals meet and get to be friends with them. You'll have people to ride with and some of them will be more than happy to jump in and help work on the bike.

HAVE FUN!!!!

Old 12-14-2012, 06:22 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are not alone my friend.

When I had my Nighthawk, I did most of the maintenance to it myself. There were off occasions where I did take it to the shop because I either didn't have the time, or didn't feel like screwing anything up.

I feel though that once you get around to maintaining it a lot, and branching out and trying new things, it'll be no sweat. Having a manual is a definite must.