General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2006, 03:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First maintenance

Hey guys, I'm about to do my first bit of maintenance work on my bike since I got it about a month ago. I'm a noob at this stuff with my bike, but I'm pretty handy and learn pretty quickly The guy I bought it from had been taking pretty good care of it and I wanna keep that up. He gave me some suggestions of oils/lubes to use, but I wanna get some more advice from other people as to what they use and how to use this stuff.

1. Engine oil - Synthetic Mobil 1 Red Cap, 15W-50. Is this the best I can use or is there something better or similar. Do I also need to get new oil filters/gaskets? anything?

2. Brake fluid - Motul DOT 5.1, now on my bike it says to only use DOT 4 brake fluid, so will this be okay. How do I know when to change/refill it?

3. Chain Lube - Motul Chain Lube, I know I need to clean the chain first, but what should I use to clean it. I've heard a lot of people use WD-40, but others have said not to.

4. All purpose lubricant (levers, cables) - Belray 6-in-1, how do I use it? where do I actually put it?

Is there anything else I should do to maintain my bike. Other parts I need to lube or oil or tweak to ensure it runs properly? I know these must be pretty trivial questions for some of you, but I really want to do it right and don't wanna mess anything up. I appreciate any help anyone can give me. Thanks [sm=hail.gif]

Old 05-17-2006, 01:56 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First maintenance

1. some will not agree, but red cap is perfectly fine. you can switch to motorcycle specific dino, mix or full synthetic if you want...red cap is good though...even though it's for cars, i know many people who have used it for tons of miles...like 60K plus with no issues.

2. you should do it at least once every year. it helps prevent your pistons from sticking. usually, labels read dot 4/5 so they should be compatible. if you do decide to go dot 4, make sure you flush all of the old stuff out completely.

3. use motul chain cleaner or kerosene....

4. belray is good stuff...put it anywhere that looks like it may need it...as far as lubing the levers...a bit harder, you'll need to take them off and string them straight to do so.