Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Maintenance Discouragement

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maintenance Discouragement

Hey guys,

So im still very new to riding (it's been about 3 weeks total now) and I laid down my bike for the first time traveling at about 40 mph a week into riding. I bought my bike on Craigslist and now Im starting to see the things that need to be repaired and maintained more regularly, but after laying the bike down I've already had to replace a few parts. I haven't been able to take my bike into a shop yet since my accident, but it has still been rideable. Today on my way to school (15 minutes before my finance final nonetheless) my chain just breaks right off and breaks the chain guard with it. I was planning on cleaning and lubing it yesterday (it had only been exactly 300 miles since the last time I lubed it) but of course there was no time with studying for finals, but Im not sure that would have prevented this.

I guess my point is, Im mechanically challenged - and I was looking at owning a bike as a learning experience! But three weeks into this whole process I'm just feeling pretty bummed out with how much things break, need maintaining (when I don't know exactly how to do it) and how much everything costs to repair. I just really wanted to vent, and hopefully someone out there has felt the same before and just came out of this little hump because I absolutely love riding, it's the most exciting thing I've done!

Is there any shame in just taking my bike to a mechanic and just saying, "Here it is! Can you fix it for me?"

Old 12-12-2012, 01:15 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is no shame in asking a mechanic to fix your bike, if you are not mechanically inclined remember it is your life on that bike.
Start small and work your way up maintenance wise, grab a service manual and just read how things get changed and try to understand how they work.

Old 12-12-2012, 02:14 PM

I'm terrible at maintaining my bike. Things are always rusting and I've been through numerous chains but I am living almost on the poverty line so not only can I not afford parts but I also cannot afford to take it in to the garage.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:26 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

dude, when i started riding, i paid a guy to adjust my throttle cables, with other stupid nonsensical "i should have done it myself" things...... i paid him to put in an integrated tail light ( just 2 bolts and 3 plugs). i was the epitome of "i don't know what i'm doing". i swear i studied that changing your own oil guide 50 times before i actually did it. i was terrified to change the damn battery!

now i build bikes from the ground up. rebuilding motors - no problem. breaking down a bike by myself - simple. putting it back together - all i need is an afternoon. re-wiring a bike - just give a few min for the soldering gun to heat up... all i used was the net, and my father in law to help me when i had no clue what i was doing. everyone here is so helpful. besides, we're talking about motorcycles. there's no easier way in the world to make friends - especially with some mechanically inclined ones - than with bikes

don't get discouraged. look at the bright side. that chain could have done a whole lot more than break your chain guard, it could have SERIOUSLY hurt you instead. you've laid it down too - welcome to the club. just stay here and ask questions when doing something. i'll bet that the chain wasn't adjusted properly and that's what caused it to come loose, or that it was seriously kinked and you didn't notice it. (it wasn't lack of lube - not that it didn't help) these are things that you learn. i bet you'll keep a closer eye on it now. after you get your new chain on and have about 5k miles on it, i bet you'll notice that one link that just happens to looks a little tweaked. it's okay man. you live, you learn.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
dude, when i started riding, i paid a guy to adjust my throttle cables, with other stupid nonsensical "i should have done it myself" things...... i paid him to put in an integrated tail light ( just 2 bolts and 3 plugs). i was the epitome of "i don't know what i'm doing". i swear i studied that changing your own oil guide 50 times before i actually did it. i was terrified to change the damn battery!

now i build bikes from the ground up. rebuilding motors - no problem. breaking down a bike by myself - simple. putting it back together - all i need is an afternoon. re-wiring a bike - just give a few min for the soldering gun to heat up... all i used was the net, and my father in law to help me when i had no clue what i was doing. everyone here is so helpful. besides, we're talking about motorcycles. there's no easier way in the world to make friends - especially with some mechanically inclined ones - than with bikes

don't get discouraged. look at the bright side. that chain could have done a whole lot more than break your chain guard, it could have SERIOUSLY hurt you instead. you've laid it down too - welcome to the club. just stay here and ask questions when doing something. i'll bet that the chain wasn't adjusted properly and that's what caused it to come loose, or that it was seriously kinked and you didn't notice it. (it wasn't lack of lube - not that it didn't help) these are things that you learn. i bet you'll keep a closer eye on it now. after you get your new chain on and have about 5k miles on it, i bet you'll notice that one link that just happens to looks a little tweaked. it's okay man. you live, you learn.

Great answer Conrice - very well put indeed!

Start with small maintenance tasks IsawAsailboat and work your way up - and remember we are here to help. Any problems or fears or misgivings, pop into the forum and post.

Once your confidence grows, you'll be at it with the snap-ons.

Cheers, SB

Old 12-12-2012, 03:48 PM

Don't sweat it man I started in the same spot got my bike got a manual after talking to a shops and hearing they wanted 600 bucks to do my front forks guy told me get a book and take them off my self and its only 100 bucks (he said they were a B**** to get off) ha that was probably one of the easier things to do. Just take your time and make sure u get the book mine cost me 30 something bucks but man has it saved me 1000's already the bindings coming apart I've read it so many times. Look for some stands also got mine for 140 front and back and soon u will be doing things u never thought u could do

Old 12-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

You bought a used bike, you can't fault it for breaking and needing stuff replaced when you have no idea how it was cared for before hand. On top of that the chain is not a honda part even when brand new.

There is no shame in taking it in, but there is shame when people see you start to cry over how big the bill will be. Paying a shop to do work for you is always absurdly expensive.

Old 12-12-2012, 04:21 PM
July 2012 Ride of the Month

No shame at all brotha...

My bikes in the shop right now! ;-)

Old 12-12-2012, 04:36 PM

I guess when the previous owner said it was well-maintained I kind of had to keep that up huh? lol I've never been one to really get my hands dirty, in fact I've done that more just replacing my brake and clutch levers and mirrors in the past three weeks than I ever have in my car driving career. I appreciate the encouragement, hopefully someday I'll be able to really get into the bike and be able to do a lot of the things myself, but at this point I look at the owners manual and it looks like a foreign language to me.

Looks I know what I'm spending my tax return on this year lol.

Old 12-12-2012, 07:56 PM

to do list:
#1 buy a rear stand if you dont have one.
inspect brake pads(ie not worn out)
chain and sprocket
engine oil and filter
bleed brakes( no special tools)
fork oil
if needed brake pads
if you have kenda tires ditch them.

Quick Reply: Maintenance Discouragement