Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Just got hired for detailing *sort of long*

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 09:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got hired for detailing *sort of long*

I just graduated college this spring in automotive. I almost wish i didn't go because As much as i love vehicle's i just don't have the patients to be a mechanic. I have a terrible irish temper when i can't figure stuff out. Soo i feel that i wasted $$$ & time soo right before i graduated i realized i gotta do something else when i got out. Soo i wanted to detail vehicle's instead of fixing them, that way i stayed with my roots. Back in highschool i got a job by going to this small car dealer in my hometown in need of a inspection sticker for my '99 GTP the owner knew my dad because he would take his vehicle to get oil changes and he always knew how well he took care of his vehicle's and the owner noticed how good of shape my my car was in and asked if i wanted a job and i took the offer. I learnt a good amount with the buffer and the waxes and the steam vac but it's been soo long i forgot alot. The reason why i signed up to this forum soo i could ask for advise and opinons, because i got hired for detailing at a toyota dealer. 3 months of searching and interviews for a detailing position it finally paid off, I'm excited because i have college bills a 1yr old to support! I really do have alot of passion for cleaning vehicle's i do mine and my family's vehicle's and my vehicle is always clean. Lately i have been watching video's online about detailing that way i'm not in the dark on my first day. I just want to know what it's like to be a auto detailer or what they call it auto recon(reconditioning) at a big dealership ? Now the way they are paying me i believe is not bad. It's minimum wage which is $7.50 i believe plus $15 for every car i do and it's $20 per car after 11 cars which i'm guessing is in one week cause their is no way i could do 11 cars in one day? soo that turns that crappy minimum wage into some decent pay. After i get into the job doing it awhile i would like to start my own little detailing business on the side to make extra $$$. Well thanks for the people who took the time reading my long intro and i will be looking forward to hearing from you.

-Ryan

Old 08-15-2011, 10:50 PM

Not a bad deal, cant offer advice but can offer good luck!

Old 08-15-2011, 10:52 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Ryan, main thing is you are happy with what you do. Any interesting opportunities that will pop up in the future, don't be afraid to jump on them. Good luck

Old 08-16-2011, 01:06 AM

a wise man once said..... Wax on... Wax off...

HAHAHA!

Joking aside.. Yum is right... If its something you love to do then it will pay off in the end.. Dont make work a chore.. Make it a passion.. Find something that you love about the job and if you have some rough days.. Go back to that one thing.. (Maybe smelling the new car smell?? hahaha) whatever it is...

Old 08-16-2011, 09:33 AM

Hah SWEEP THE LEG!!!

Old 08-16-2011, 08:10 PM

When I was younger I detailed cars at a medium sized Saturn dealership. It really comes down to the atmosphere at the dealership. I had a really great old guy who had detailed since cars were created Im guessing, and he was always joking around. The management was good too. That being said, the pay stank, but there were bonuses (usually) based on the volume of cars sold per month.

Detailing is an intricate and valuable skill to have. It is much, much more involved than a quick wash and vacuum. You will learn to hate pet owners, ha. Nothing is a bigger pain than dog hair. As with any new task, get a rhythm down and ask for help if you need it. Nothing is worse than someone having to fix your mistakes later.

As a new guy, I dont really know how much control over anything you will have, but try to keep everything organized, and clean (seems obvious, but things can get crazy at large dealerships). The sales people will always be giving you work orders for cars they just sold, and need to have detailed immediately. Take your time. Someone paid a ton of money (if they bought it at a dealership) so make it shine. Dont kill yourself though. Ask for tips (information, not money)

And the coolest thing of all..... You get the keys to every car on the lot, no questions asked

Old 08-17-2011, 06:09 AM

Sounds like a way to stay close to what you like, even if it isn't wrenching. Just learn the clay and you can do an awesome job on details. I am not sure stealerships bother with the clay but I do mine at least 2x a year with clay before the Zaino.

bob