Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Its started....Read Link Below...Join The AMA

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2007, 06:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Its started....Read Link Below...Join The AMA

Settal down there Foxie... I'm not condoning any kind of negitive attitude,Thats how i feel, why should i care what my or your neighbors think... o hell with anyone who doesnt like my bike or the way it sounds, i'm runnin stock and probly always will, but i'm not gonna base my decisions on what someone who i dont even know thinks or doesnt think. i agree with you 100% about people having a right to have peace and quiet in there homes... But i also have a right to put whatever aftermarket parts on my bike i want... Today its loud pipes, tomarrow its the color of your hemet... people need to mind their own business... And stop trying to make other people fall in line with what they think is acceptable behavior... And no i dont call and complain when a loude stereo on wheels cruises by my house, it is somethig i have grown acoustomed to hearing and really dont notice...Besides it takes a little more than some bump to wake me up.... And yes I will do what i want cause i'm only gonna live another 50 years or so.. So i might as well enjoy myself... CONFORMITY IS FOR THE WEAK.... So by all means my brotha you goahead and fall in line and make sure your hair is cut and shirt is tucked in... because today they take the small things away from ya next thing you know u got nothin left... but what they give ya... I hope we can still be friends

Old 06-20-2007, 07:18 AM

ORIGINAL: MikeInCtown
If you look at the AMA links about laws in each state, they will show what is acceptable. The one for example in Ohio says what is an acceptable noise limit for the bike traveling at a given rate of speed. In that ijstance, it is perfectly acceptable to replace an exhaust system provided it meets the criteria.
Exhaust System
No motor vehicle, including motorcycles, shall be equipped with an exhaust system which would produce any excessive or unusual noise. All motorcycles must be equipped with mufflers having baffle plates as required by law.
Every motor vehicle shall at all times be equipped with a standard muffler for that type of vehicle or one that meets all the requirements above.
(2) For motorcycles:
(a) When operated at a speed of thirty-five miles per hour or less, a maximum noise limit of eighty-two decibels;
(b) When operated at a speed of more than thirty-five miles per hour, a maximum noise limit of eighty-six decibels.
So if your exhaust doesn't have a baffle in it, it's illegal, if it exceeds those noise limits, it's illegal. A lot of aftermarket exhausts don't come with baffles (for example, the Two Bros doesn't but you can buy a baffle seperate to install yourself).

Old 06-22-2007, 07:08 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ludefreak

......why should i care what my or your neighbors think... o hell with anyone who doesnt like my bike or the way it sounds.....
It's not what the neighbors "think". It's the fact that you/me/we are disturbing them, and they have EVERY RIGHT to complain about it. To hell with what they think.......I agree with you there.......but you would hate it (and you know you would) if they had some fart-can Honda Civic that was louder than f**k screaming up and down your street everynight. THAT is what I'm trying to get across. What neighbors "think" has nothing to do with this argument. It's call being courteous to the other people who ALSO spent $250,000 on their home and are trying to live their lives without being disturbed by a screaming exhaust. It's only fair.

CONFORMITY IS FOR THE WEAK....
If being respectful and courteous to others is "conforming", then sign me up. I don't mind it. They never did anything to me, why should I do anything to them?

........and yes, I'll still be your BFF.

Old 06-22-2007, 11:27 AM

i ccant believe nobody mentioned this.....im more worried about the performance loss here....i love the quietness and the look of the stock pipe/with all they gay **** taken off......but it severly hinders the performance as compared to a full yoshi exhaust for example.....i think the law should jsut require that all makes of exhaust should be made with a removable silencer....in case you go to the track.....you can take it out otherwise pull all the asses with out a silencer over but dont do away with the aftermarket exhaust....and how pissed would some exhaust only companies be about this law!!??

Old 06-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: meanstrk

I'll happily take a ticket and pay it because I want drivers to HEAR me and not hit me.
You worried about getting rear ended going down the road? The only way a loud pipe is gonna be heard AND save your *** is if it pointed forward.
True, 100%

Old 06-22-2007, 02:26 PM

The only way a loud pipe is gonna be heard AND save your *** is if it pointed forward.
This is not true. I was saved from an accident due to hearing a bike coming up from BEHIND me. So the bike exhaust was also pointing behind me. I was about to change lanes and saw nothing in the mirrors, nor when I turned my head, and when I started to lean I heard the pipe from a friend's bike. His 1000RR with the Arata pipe, awesome sound, notobnoxiously loud, was what I heard and it saved me from swerving into his lane saving both of us from an accident.

Old 06-22-2007, 09:15 PM

ye ai think the loud pipes does help get noticed but not in all situations i.e. dumb lady in big SUV windows up stereo on, and cell phone to ear.....she prolly wont hear you until its to late

Old 06-22-2007, 09:23 PM
Banned

i ccant believe nobody mentioned this.....im more worried about the performance loss here....
I have a 1970 Corvette with a 454 in it, if I ran that bitch with straight pipes the whole world would explode, it is that loud. After I put on headers, I had flexi-pipes to my mufflers on it for about a week, and at 'idle speed'it would set off every car alarm from the vibrations alone.

The question is balance, is the 2 or 3 measly horspower these little engines may gain from a loud slip on or 6 or 7 hp from a full system really gonna matter? No. Would the 25 hp I would gain in my vette really matter? maybe, but it ain't would destrying the world as we know it.