Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Its started....Read Link Below...Join The AMA

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Its started....Read Link Below...Join The AMA

When i was looking to buy a slip on most people i talked to said that two brothers was so loud they couldnt handle it. When i put my two brothers exahaust on just a little while ago i was sorta confused because it really wasnt as loud as everyone else had been saying And i dont think that any of the guys i ride with have TOO loud of pipes i think there are way more anyoing things out there than bikes and cars a people should get over it. And if you do have someone in your neighborhood who always comes in at a late hour and it really bothers you that much just go up and talk to the person and tell them how ya feel they would prolly tone it down a bit.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:28 PM

ORIGINAL: MikeInCtown

I'll agree with you to a point, but bikes are much louder after they have gone by. if I have my windows rolled up, I never hear a bike until after it has passed me. I think that crap was just made up by Harley riders who want to justify having foot long pipes sticking out the sides of their bikes.
That is exactly right. My buddy has a harley with straight pipes. LOUD as hell. But if I don't know he's there, I don't hear him until he is right next to me when he's passing. I don't hear him at all when he's behind me.

Old 06-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Banned

i think there are way more anyoing things out there than bikes and cars a people should get over it.
The way some people see it is what gives you the right to annoy them at all? Think about if you had to take an elevator everyday and there was a kid that would look and smile at you and then push every single button on the contrl pad. Say it stopped at 15 floors for no other reason than the kid liked to hear the bell. Wouldn't that **** you off? What if it happened everyday?? Twice a day??It is called common courtesy andone or two percent of the people are notsupposed to expose many others to things they don't like just because the one or two people percentfind the sound cool. Some people don't like South Park so they simply change the channel, you can't do that with a motorcycle.

Noise pollution is simply an aggregate problem, we need our houses built so construction noise will always occur (except usually not between 8am and 8 pm), train whistles usually don't go off at night, we need to hear ambulances and other sirens, but we as a society do not HAVE to hear a noisy bike, a noisy bike has very little benefit if any at all to society as a whole. That is how mostpeople look at it.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:32 PM

I hope you guys all realize that in just about every city, in every state, it's illegal to modify your exhaust, which is why EVERY SINGLE aftermarket exhaust says "For off road use only." Denver just made it easier for cops to give out tickets, now the officer doesn't have to do anything but look at the muffler and see if it has the EPA stamp (A stamp that only OEM stock exhausts have), if that stamp isn't on there, bam ticket. No more having to wrory about bringing out a dB meter and having the bike rev at 25 feet away.

The only problem I see with this law is that it's specifically geared towards bikes. They wouldn't have been able to get a rough draft of that finished if it had been aimed at cars, because every Meineke (Sp?) and other muffler repair shop would have their lawyers breathing down the law-makers' necks.

So in short, it does suck, because with a bike if anything happens to your can (which is pretty likely, any sort of low side or tip over bangs up these cans) you have to go to the dealership and lube yourself up to buy an OEM replacement (in case you're curious the stock muffler on an F4 is about $350-400 from the dealership). And, speaking from experience, in Denver the rice burners and muscle cars make way more noise pollution then any of the bikes do, not to mention the SUVs and caddys with the huge systems in them that rattle shop windows.

Old 06-19-2007, 09:44 PM

i have 2 questions?
one okay why is this something that affects all bikes to 1985 becuase its a modification of a preexisting law? like on my 69 vett i can run side pipes and no cat becuase in 1969 there were no emission laws.

second why is it every time you guys get your selves in trouble you bring cars into it? there is no way your going to sit here and tell me that at 9k and up that a bike isnt louder then any other car on street. i have an m4 and that's not that loud it came on the bike i could have been just as happy with having the oem. and at 9k + that thing makes my vett look like a wimp sound wise.

Old 06-19-2007, 11:46 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just HATE the way the stock cans look on bikes with side pipes. They're big and ugly...

But I would like to have an aftermarket pipe that has the dB level of an OEM exhaust canister.

Old 06-20-2007, 01:31 AM

ORIGINAL: therabbit

I hope you guys all realize that in just about every city, in every state, it's illegal to modify your exhaust, which is why EVERY SINGLE aftermarket exhaust says "For off road use only." Denver just made it easier for cops to give out tickets, now the officer doesn't have to do anything but look at the muffler and see if it has the EPA stamp (A stamp that only OEM stock exhausts have), if that stamp isn't on there, bam ticket. No more having to wrory about bringing out a dB meter and having the bike rev at 25 feet away.

The only problem I see with this law is that it's specifically geared towards bikes. They wouldn't have been able to get a rough draft of that finished if it had been aimed at cars, because every Meineke (Sp?) and other muffler repair shop would have their lawyers breathing down the law-makers' necks.

So in short, it does suck, because with a bike if anything happens to your can (which is pretty likely, any sort of low side or tip over bangs up these cans) you have to go to the dealership and lube yourself up to buy an OEM replacement (in case you're curious the stock muffler on an F4 is about $350-400 from the dealership). And, speaking from experience, in Denver the rice burners and muscle cars make way more noise pollution then any of the bikes do, not to mention the SUVs and caddys with the huge systems in them that rattle shop windows.
If you look at the AMA links about laws in each state, they will show what is acceptable. The one for example in Ohio says what is an acceptable noise limit for the bike traveling at a given rate of speed. In that ijstance, it is perfectly acceptable to replace an exhaust system provided it meets the criteria.

95camaro01f4i, Thos damn little 4 banger cars with the freaking loud *** mufflers are way noisy, especially on the highway. If going down the street at any given legal speed limit, the cars are noisier than a bike unless the bike is doing the speed limit in second gear. Bikes shouldn't be doing 9k rpm on the street anyway unless the speed limit is 60+ and you need to get to speed quickly to merge or something like that. I don't think city council cares about highway noise. It's the boneheads going down the 25mph sidestreets that are the problem.

As was said in the AMA position, cars are noisy as well and the OEM spec isn't being applied. Imagine what the backlash would be should the council have to apply the standard to all vehicles equally.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:47 AM

What ever happened to freedom... Cant smoke, cant have a loud car, bike , slowly my friends our civil liberties are being taken away while the country sits on its fat *** watching american idol... just my opinion... and i really dont give a crap if there is something i wanna do then i do it... who gives a **** what the half dead old lady down the street thinks.. shell be dead soon anyways, hopefully someone cool moves in.. Ride safe all

Old 06-20-2007, 06:07 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Ludefreak

What ever happened to freedom... Cant smoke, cant have a loud car, bike , slowly my friends our civil liberties are being taken away while the country sits on its fat *** watching american idol... just my opinion... and i really dont give a crap if there is something i wanna do then i do it... who gives a **** what the half dead old lady down the street thinks.. shell be dead soon anyways, hopefully someone cool moves in.. Ride safe all
Remember my "oh well, deal with it" attitude I mentioned earlier.........you're it. That's the EXACT attitude that gets us in trouble.....You can pretty much say "It's against the law, but f**k it, I'll do it anyway, even if it does **** off the entire neighborhood, then they call in complaints, then city council passes a law saying bikes have to be a certain decibel." I know I'm ruining it for everyone else, but f**k it, I'll do what I want.

And I know for a fact that if someone blares music at 4:00 in the morning by your house when you have to wake up in the morning, YOU would be calling in complaints as well, and you know it. Same goes for people that don't ride bikes. We may like the sound of bikes, but others just hear obnoxiously loud noise that disturbs them, and they'll call it in. Have some respect for others and keep your bike quiet through the residential zones. That's the only reason this law is being passed in the first place.

And for those who pointed it out........no, I don't have an aftermarket pipe. I want one badly, but I can't justify spending $500 bucks for an Akrapovic slipon soley for the exhaust note of the bike....not to mention the risk of pissing off my neighbors. I worked hard to get into the neighborhood I'm in, the last thing I want to be is "that jackass with the loud bike" pissing off the entire block. - But what do I know, I just respect other peoples civil liberty to peace and quiet in their own home......that's all.

Quick Reply: Its started....Read Link Below...Join The AMA