F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

I think I am going to join the family.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 10:43 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I think I am going to join the family.....

Hello all, first time poster, long time rider. I joined the Honda family last year on a VTR1000f Superhawk, but due to unfortunate cercumstances (i.e. a young, unnatentive driver) my beautiful V-twin was suffered as a complete loss back in September. Since then I have been quibbling with the guilty parties insurance company and have finally reached agreeable terms.

After many months of pondering, and internet shopping (Craigslist for the win!) I have pretty much settled into a 600cc class for my next bike. Why? I feel it will be both more economical around town, as well as more comfortable in the long run. This evening I will be making a drive (2 hours) to go and inspectigate both 2002 F4i as well as a 2003 600 RR to see which is more to my liking. I have ridden a 600RR once before, but have never ridden a F4i so I think riding them both in the same day will give me a better idea of what I want.

At any rate, there is a very good possiblity that after this evening I will be the proud new onwer of a CBR of some type.

Here are pictures of the F4i:
Name:  F4i.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  33.0 KB
Name:  F4i2.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  26.3 KB

The pictures don't do it justice, the owner was doing some woodworking in the garage and the dinge you see on the bike is a fine layer of sawdust. Other than the dust it is nearly showroom condition.

It has new tires, a high mount hindle, chain and sprocket conversion, K&N, New Pilot C2's, 10k Miles, and has never touched the gound with anything other than its rubbers

The gentleman is asking $3,500 which I feel is an extremely fair deal. The 600rr (sorry, no pix) is in similar condition, is mostly stock, but has been dropped 1 time and the owner is asking $3,500 as well (A better deal if you take into account KBB).

Opinions? Do you think it is a good deal, and do you think it is worth the $3500 (the F4i).

Matt

Old 01-25-2008, 11:04 AM
Retired Moderator
Default RE: I think I am going to join the family.....

Welcome, welcome, welcome. How exciting for you! The deals seam pretty good, but the F4i seems like a winner for sure. Good luck and make sure to keep us posted.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:17 AM

yea that sounds like a good deal. im going to look at mine tomorrow afternoon... its gonna be hard focusing in class this afternoon... and who knows how much sleep ill get... haha. i cant wait so i know youre probably excited too... (although its my first bike, so you may be more adult and mature, haha)
well good luck man.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:20 AM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

if you had a v-twin before and loved it you wont want to step down to a 600cc class. you probably loved the torque that the superhawk put out and it sjust no tthere on a 600rr or f4i. look into getting your self a 929rr but if you are dead set on a 600 the f4i is a awesome bike that will do all that is asked of it. but if you are a bigger guy like me 6"1 240lbs you will need some aftermarket parts to make the bike better. such as adj rearsets, double bubble ..etcboth the bikes you mentioned above sound like awesome deals and you would be smart to jump on it just make sure its what you really want

but above all else welcome to our family we dont discriminate you based on what you ride ... we have another check list for that

Old 01-25-2008, 11:33 AM

I own an F4i myself, so in no way am I against them. However, while you mentioned that the bike is in almost perfect condition other than the sawdust, even just the fact that he would allow sawdust all over it may be a sign that it is not as well taken care of as you had hoped. A test ride would definitely help prove itself to you. I've never ridden an rr, so I can't give any dumb comments about that one. Good luck with it! F4i's are nice bikes.

Old 01-25-2008, 12:54 PM
IDL

Hindle high mount baby, consider that a big plus!
I have one, just in case you didn't know.. They are awesome.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:18 PM

ORIGINAL: G3NESYS

yea that sounds like a good deal. im going to look at mine tomorrow afternoon... its gonna be hard focusing in class this afternoon... and who knows how much sleep ill get... haha. i cant wait so i know youre probably excited too... (although its my first bike, so you may be more adult and mature, haha)
well good luck man.
Maturity will never outweigh excitment lol.... I still have 1 more class today before I can go down and take a look at these bikes and I am SOOO excited!!

ORIGINAL: HAVOC

if you had a v-twin before and loved it you wont want to step down to a 600cc class. you probably loved the torque that the superhawk put out and it sjust no tthere on a 600rr or f4i. look into getting your self a 929rr but if you are dead set on a 600 the f4i is a awesome bike that will do all that is asked of it. but if you are a bigger guy like me 6"1 240lbs you will....
Yeah, I know..... I did enjoy the torque of the Vtwin, I just didn't think the superhawk was very practical as an around town rider. Also, I am a SMALL dude, 5'7" 140 lbs..... the superhawk would easily power up into a wheely with no clutch work which is not something that I really want to happen.... (for the most part).

The sawdust thing I don't think is a big deal. He was doing finish carpentry in the garage using MDF trim, if anyone has ever worked with MDF you know what kind of dust it makes and it get on EVERYTHING! Plus, he assured me the bike will be dusted/cleaned/waxed/and fueled before I show up tonight.

The hindle is definately one of the things that really turned me on to the bike as well, I am really stoked to see how it sounds, but high mount in and itself it ****ing sweet!!

Thanks for all the input folks, I will keep you posted!

Matt

Old 01-25-2008, 02:21 PM

I just noticed I will be needing flushmounts up fron though!!! Boooo for stock stalk blinkers.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:49 PM

Hey there, welcome to the board!, good luck w your selection whatever you choose im sure you'll be happy! for a daily comuter id say go w F4i, RR is more of a track bike, insurance may be higher as well? nonetheless congrats!
when you decide let us know

Old 01-25-2008, 03:11 PM

If your looking for a more practical everday bike, I'd say the f4i since it's seating position isn't as racey as the RR. It's a great idea to test both out though.

Quick Reply: I think I am going to join the family.....