Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Interesting Android App: aCar

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 08:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Interesting Android App: aCar

Its a free app in the Android Market. Basically it gives you service reminders and tracks your mpg, provided you enter your miles when you fill up.

It looks interesting. Gonna try it with my bike. The only thing I don't like is it wants a lot of personal data and permissions on your phone. Like why does it ask for the VIN # when a nickname for the vehicle will serve as well?

Old 04-16-2010, 06:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Coming from somebody who writes software for a living, the VIN probably will be used (in the future) to automatically fill in details about the vehicle? I don't know. To be honest, I wouldn't worry about that too much. Anybody who can physically see your vehicle be it car or bike can get the vin if they want it. The permissions isn't a big deal either. It is just a way to sort of let you know what is going on so that you know the application has access to it.

I will have to check it out as well. Been trying to find a good GPS logger. My Tracks works pretty well, lets you upload to Google maps and stuff. I just wish I was getting more granular on the detail. The actual points and stuff.

Old 05-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Been using this app for Ororo, my F4i. I gotta say I'm liking this app.

I had to setup custom service reminders since the defaults are all for car maint. But once everything is setup, that's it. Every time I fill up, I add an entry with the # of gallons and price per gallon. The app does the rest.

Starting the app, it gives a summary for the last vehicle viewed. MPG, price / gal, total fill up cost, service costs and cost per day for this month / previous month / 3 month average. Whenever I do something to my bike I check what service I did and how much it cost.