Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Insurance Sold to a Minor?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 09:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Insurance Sold to a Minor?!

So I've been riding for less than a year. I took the MSF class while I was in San Diego for 6months, where I learned how to ride, obviously had insurance...time came to go back to school at Northeastern in Boston and I sold my baby in San Diego. Got back to Boston and bought my 96 CBR600 and granted I only have the minimum coverage, and I don't turn 21 for another week and a half.

...but my insurance is 121 a year.

so yeah that's like $10 a month. insurance is ****ed up but no doubt about it--it's neccesary no matter what. that's AAA by the way, but no matter, insurance is regulated by the state in Mass so it would be about that anywhere I went.

Old 05-16-2007, 09:19 PM

Sorry. You're legally old enough to buy and pay for it in California, and it also doesnt mattter that the bike was in your dads name and insurance wasnt. You presented it to the dealer as coverage on that vehicle under good faith, and signed a contract stipulating you will keep insurance on it.

Having once been a bike dealer in California and given what you've said, I think you're gonna lose. I'd look at the language on your insurance carefully to make sure you cant get coverage there. Also, was it stolen from your home? If so you might get some coverage from a home owners policy if it was stored indoors.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:33 PM

it was in an apartment complex that we actually have to pay homeowners insurance for, it was parked inside an underground parking (the apartment is a high rise) and behind gates...im not sure if that would be covered under my home owners?

Old 05-21-2007, 11:46 PM

this is exactly why most laws require you to be 18 to do things, your not intelligent or thoughtful enough to do anything without your parents....quit hiding under "my daddy's name" and "i thought" and should of's and could of's....you dropped the ball being so hasty to sign some contract that you thought NO ONE else would give you.

Old 05-21-2007, 11:55 PM

You can try to go after the Insurance company all you want. These companies get law suit put on them everyday. Most of the time the insurance company come out on top.

When you signed up for there coverage at age 16 you where breaking the law by not having parents consent. Pretty much you getting coverage at 16 and then trying to suit them because you didn't lock up your bike, is something that they wont have to pay you for. I guess back when you where 16 you should have learned how to read a contract.

Sucks your bike got jacked but be ready to lose if you try going after them.