Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Insurance Sold to a Minor?!

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 03:01 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Insurance Sold to a Minor?!

ORIGINAL: ebaydan777

well first no one is taking money from HONDA...lol its coming from the insurance company honda has nothing to do with this or the MSRP. Second, I did fill it out online and then had to call a number they emailed me as an agent told me full coverage, and so i asked that will cover anything that has to do with the bike right? and the guy said yes, he never asked for my age or anything since i had already filled it all out online. Better yet no one even asked me who the owner of the bike was and whether i own it or am paying payments. therefore, in California you must have complete full coverage on any car or motorcycle if the bank has loaned you money...and you must have it until you have the pink slip in your hand as the complete owner of a paid off bike or car, thats how it works, so this is why this is going to court, im not afraid of the insurance company of course they are out to keep all the money they can, its the job of the person paying them to take any action, if I dont then im a loser and i just gave free money for no reason, so anyone that agrees with doing that go ahead and grow some nuts and step up like im going to and dont talk **** for me doing it. k thanks
you are misunderstanding why you must have full coverage when there is a lien on the bike. if you have a loan from a bank...you have something of that equal value, the bike, if that vehicle is totalled, the bank has no guarantee of getting their money back because people typically are not gonna pay for a vehicle they dont have, which is why there is full coverage, to compensate the bank for the money they loaned out. typically, states have laws that require having minimal coverage, liability, to cover the other vehicle in an accident. i dont think the state of california requires anyone to have full coverage, just the lender does.

now, when you went online and applied for that insurance, i can guarantee that you agreed to a Terms of Usage/Service or some kind of conditions, did you read it? i bet you didnt, and i bet you didnt read your policy when you got it either.

the main thing that you are not understanding is that you agreed to a policy, whether it had theft coverage or not, that was your responsibility to figure out beforehand. you are expecting a SALESMAN to read you the fine print. when you bought that bike, did the salesman at the dealership tell you that he just sold one for $500 less than he did to you, no, because he is a salesman.

in all fairness, i do understand your frustration, but IMO you are looking for someone else to pay for your mistake. i bet next time you buy an insurance policy you will read the details because you now have that life experience. sorry that your bike was stolen, but chalk it up as experience and let it slide, it is going to cost you even more when this is all said and done. either way it turns out, i would like to know the outcome.

ps, camaro has a very good point, and you better be prepared to face a high dollar mob of lawyers with uber experience with cases like this, it is all they do, and part of the reason you were paying thousands of dollars a year to begin with. i'm 22, have 3 moving violations(before the bike, ) and pay $37/mo for full coverage, which also includes, you guessed it, theft.

EDIT: Additionally, I was just browsing the progressive site for motorcycle coverages, which they have listed. They have several listed, including Comprehensive and Collision, Uninsured/Under-insured Motorist, CPE (custom parts and equipment) which all seem to be optional coverages. For a fact, i know uninsured motorist coverage is not included in most full coverage policies without additional fees, thus making me believe that the theft option may very vell be optional as well. Do you know what type of specific coverage you have? and have you reviewed the pol

Old 05-14-2007, 03:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Holy hell rrasco, I think your FOS, and I'm callin you on it buddy, you pay 37.00 a month for full coverage!! I can't get that rate on the wifes chicken chaser!! Clean record too! Whats the scoop man.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Shocktroop

Holy hell rrasco, I think your FOS, and I'm callin you on it buddy, you pay 37.00 a month for full coverage!! I can't get that rate on the wifes chicken chaser!! Clean record too! Whats the scoop man.
not really sure why or how, all the quotes i got before were for like $10,000/yr and i was convinced i could not afford a bike due to the insurance. i went to a site, buymotorcycleinsurance.com (texas only), and applied for a quote. they emailed me back with like 5-6 different companies and said $37 was the lowest through American Modern. now, funny twist, and confusing, i couldnt afford to pay it last sept. i believe (3 months at time), and i let it cancel, my bike was down at the time so i didnt see a reason to have insurance on a bike sitting in the garage, so anyways, they cancelled it. when i had the money, 10 days later, i tried to get another quote through the same company, but they are a real crappy brokerage and never got back to me, so i called AM to see if they would write me a policy and they wont, only brokers can, so i got a hold of several getting quotes from AM, all atleast $250/mo. amazingly, i get a letter from AM saying their was a mistake in their cancellation notices and they re-instated my policy and i had X number of days to pay. so yeah, im back on that policy, and that quoted price, quite lucky i believe. and i dont like the broker that sold it to me, and they are real crappy, but if i ever report a claim, it will be to AM, not the broker, so its all good in the hood. same company quoted me $74/mo for FC on an 06 GSXR600.

sorry for the long post.....again.

Old 05-14-2007, 03:26 AM

I just switched to state farm, 45 amo, I couldn't believe it. Was paying 1200 a year with gieco, and progressive quoted me at 2200 a year, ridiculous with the price spread, but I almost shat myself when state farm gave me that quote, couldn't get my wallet out of my *** pocket fast enough.

Old 05-14-2007, 11:36 AM

There are several things at play here and depending on your perspective they could all suck. But the first and foremost thing you need to do, since you talked about growing some nuts and standing up for yourself, is take responsibnility for your own actions and read the documents you signed and paid for. It didn't work out for you, then sue everyone? If it worked in your favor the age, coverage and all the rest is a moot point. Just because you lost doesn't mean a lawsuit is the next step. At 16, the bike is in your daddy's name because you are a minor. And maybe the insurance should have been too. But in reality, it sounds to me like you just learned a good life lesson.

Old 05-14-2007, 02:17 PM

im pretty sure u can buy insurance as soon as you get your license, the only thing is can you afford the insurance. back in 2000 when i was 23 the cheapest i could find insurance for was $3800 a year full coverage and that was on a 99 kawasaki zx6r.

to the op, soory about yourbike getting stolen, i think it will be useless to sue the insurance company.the judge will just throw out your case and u will justbe stuck with legal bills.

from now on read anything you sign.

Old 05-16-2007, 07:05 PM

my dads insurance is $56 a month, he lied and said he rode a motorcycle when he lived in italy for like 13 years haha..

either way im not gonna just bend over and take it, ill consult a lawyer and go from there

Old 05-16-2007, 07:24 PM
Retired Moderator ans All Around Good Guy

let us know how that goes

Old 05-16-2007, 07:58 PM

personally theft+fire isnt covered unless u ask for it, every insurance company is different but i know i have to pay extra for fire, theft and collion, (and glass on my car) and also rental vehicle insurance(then again im in canada soooo i dunnoo)

+1 on camaro01f4i's post....

Old 05-16-2007, 08:08 PM

My full cov insur covered everything on my old truck. I never had to ask for anything. It was included. But I guess they are all different.

Quick Reply: Insurance Sold to a Minor?!