Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Hyper-extended knee: fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Hyper-extended knee: fixes?

So I've been training with Verizon for a week now. One of the things involved is gaffing poles. During the 1st couple days I think I very mildly hyper-extended my knee. I say mildy because I can walk and maneuver normally. But putting weight on it while locked causes a sharp pain. Not good to have you leg collapse on you when its the only thing keeping you 20' up.

I can take it easy somewhat to get thru training (smaller steps, working off my left). But any advice on reinforcing it would be appreciated. What'd really help tho are any exercises I could do to help heal and strengthen the leg

Old 12-21-2011, 12:41 PM

I had a nasty wakeboard landing years back where I came down on a locked out knee from about 6-8' up. Caused me to tear the meniscus in my knee - but most likely that's not what happened to you. You might have bruised it though, the cartilage is not very vascular, so it really takes a long time for that to go away.

you can dose up on Ibuprofen for mild pain management, ice it with a freezable sports wrap when you can give it a rest in the evenings. Glucosamine/chondroitin/fishoil etc - are all good promoters of cartilage and joint health as well. All are OTC solutions you can find in the local pharmacy.

You don't want to be doing heavy weight exercise with an injury like this, cause the meniscus is the shock absorber in the knee joint. If you have access to a stationary bike (or a real one) and can get 30 mins of spinning in a night, that's very good rehab. Light weight leg extensions or curls - maybe even with ankle weights. When you start feeling better - might work up to proper technique body-weight squats as well.

Air Squats Exercise

Old 12-21-2011, 12:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, I'd just try to ice it and keep it elevated every night. ibuprofen to help keep the swelling down, and maybe a knee brace while you're working/training. I wouldn't really worry about exercises until it's starting to feel better because you can do more damage if you push it too hard.

Other than that, you might need a doctors visit if it doesn't get better in 3-4 days of icing it and keeping off it while you're at home.

edit: AdrenalnJunky beat me to it =P

Old 12-21-2011, 01:12 PM

Originally Posted by dveldtf4i
Honestly, I'd just try to ice it and keep it elevated every night. ibuprofen to help keep the swelling down, and maybe a knee brace while you're working/training. I wouldn't really worry about exercises until it's starting to feel better because you can do more damage if you push it too hard.

Other than that, you might need a doctors visit if it doesn't get better in 3-4 days of icing it and keeping off it while you're at home.

edit: AdrenalnJunky beat me to it =P
Yep - go see a doc if it lingers, but be prepared, they can only really determine internal damage with either arthroscopy or MRI, sometimes both.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:07 AM

There's no swelling and no particular pain really. Just a sharp twinge when nearing the limits of locking the leg. With real pain if pushed the slightest beyond. Also if i weight the leg while locked AND my ankle is out of alignment, it'll complain.

Had a friend who deals with sports training look at it. He's the one who said that I may have slightly hyper-extended it. He also understands while I can take it easy on the leg, I have to climb with it. He wrapped it up so I could get thru certification for pole gaffing. Neither of us feel there's any permanent damage. But its the equivalent of pulling your starting qb before securing a playoff spot. I can't take 3 weeks complete downtime for healing. Not yet at least

I also feel this is a result of neglecting to workout the muscles. Gaffing a pole is nothing like climbing a ladder. But my arms adjusted to the usage in a day or so, having been exercised a lot more carrying ladders.

On the plus side, my 1st paycheck which covers 40 hours is about $100 more than a paycheck that covered 80hrs at Comcast. I was kinda pissed when I saw that. Made me feel like I wasted 5 years of my life

Old 12-23-2011, 01:38 AM

hey buddy, i may be able to help you out with exercises and stuff. i just got my knee redone. had acl reconstruction, mcl, and meniscus. been in therapy for a good amount of time now. my exercises are as follows to help to strengthen it. 10 mins of eliptical. half my body weight in leg press with both legs. a third with the bad knee. then do the same with your calfs. do free squats(as easy as it may seem. i need a pole) basically put the pole on your shoulders and put your arms hanging over it. and squat as you would going to sit in a chair. stand on a ledge(stair) with the bad knee, and lower the other foot to the ground then up to the step. do bridges with both legs and just on the bad leg. tighten your quad, just this is major help. your knee is connected with your calf and quad. these also need to be strong to strengthen your knee again. as well as STRETCH!!!

Old 12-23-2011, 01:55 AM

Hi, new here but lower limb biomechanics are my livelyhood.

Can you explain gaffing and what movement your leg went through?

How old are you and do you have a history of knee trauma?

Have you seen a physio, podiatrist, DR, etc and what did they say?

If you can give me an idea of the incident and your history I'll try and help....pm if nec.

P.

Old 12-23-2011, 06:21 PM
MZ5

Did you report it when it happened?

Only thing that's gonna actually heal it is time, and possibly physical therapy.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:43 AM
Track junkie & modaholic

I ause my knees a lot, and what helps me is 20 min ice /ace bandage - 20 min no ice repeat this till I go to bed. with a dose of 800 to 1k ml gr of ibuprofen to aid with the swelling. Also when Im really abusing my right knee I will wear a brace I bought from walgreens to help with stability. glad to hear that your new job is working out so far!