CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

new 1989 cbr600 owner! (in need of some fixes)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 01:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 1989 cbr600 owner! (in need of some fixes)

hello all, i finally got a bike after years and years of drooling over everyone else's!
i had originally wanted an f3/f4
but reading up on here and other forums decided its too much power for a first bike. and a bit too pricey for a first bike that i may drop

so i found an 89 f1 for 700 that needed some work so i offered 550 and picked it up Sunday night!

i was told its the fuel pump that doesnt work. he started it for a second on starter fluid and it ran, but couldnt get it to start after that. so im not so sure thats what it is
yesterday i pulled the tank and jumped 12v to the pump just to see if i could hear it run, like ive done in the past with my cars
i felt it pressurize the lines, but not run continuously like a cars does.
but my cars are all looped fuel rails, so after the fuel pressure regulator, it returns to the tank. it doesnt appear that the bike works this way. theres only one sending line and no returns.

next, i tried checking for spark because i could smell gas after trying to start it a few times. i hooked up a timing light and tried to start it. i didnt seem to have spark. but the plug wires seem different than a car's. so i may actually pull a plug and wire and test that way?

after starting it for a while it stopped trying to start.
so i jumped it with a car battery and had no luck.
but i followed the power wire from the starter to a solenoid on the right side (left side if your looking at it head on) and jumped the wire from the battery to the starter and it turned over. electronics are on when i did this and no start, and no spark.

after that i decided to put it up for the evening and post before looking too much into it without too much knowledge.
im going to look through the manual i just finished downloading on here and see if i can find anything to check out.

any ideas on what i should look into checking?

thanks!
ill post pics of it later today cause everyone knows threads are worthless without pics :P

Old 08-30-2011, 10:21 PM

alright, so i tested the fuel tank/filter
it does flow very well.
tested the fuel pump with 12v and a ground
(red got 12v and ground went to the black wire)
it doesnt cycle. it makes kind of a click sound and then stops. but when it clicks, it shoots out some fuel.
if i tap the power or ground (like if a relay cycles power quickly) then it shoots out little bursts enough to keep a steady stream. is this how its supposed to work?
or is this a bad fuel pump?

next i tested the fuel pump relay according to how i should for the manual.
the blue wire did have battery voltage
and the y.bu and bl/bu did NOT have continuity as the manual said it should.
however, the power of the battery is a little low.

next i tested the kill switch on the handlebar
i accidently broke it
(so i need one asap, where cani get one?)
and i also tested the weird no starting issue
until last night it would crank over with the kill switch in the on position
and then i kept starting it and then it stopped starting with the button.
it turns out either i broke the starter relay under the seat (that gives power to the starter) or it was going bad anyway.

ALSO i pulled one plug and its pretty black and makes me think its getting fuel, but no spark

pics:

parts i need (minus the kill switch, which i can bypass)
Name:  IMAG1487.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  36.8 KB

the spark plug i pulled
Name:  IMAG1486.jpg
Views: 122
Size:  42.5 KB

when i picked it up
Name:  2011-08-2895144116.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  68.0 KB
Name:  2011-08-2895144154.jpg
Views: 142
Size:  59.0 KB
Name:  2011-08-2895144226.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  59.5 KB
Name:  2011-08-2895144334.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  57.0 KB
Name:  2011-08-2895144415.jpg
Views: 128
Size:  72.0 KB

i pulled some stuff off for doing work/because it may look better

Name:  IMAG1491.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  73.9 KB
Name:  IMAG1492.jpg
Views: 210
Size:  89.9 KB
Name:  IMAG1493.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  94.6 KB
Name:  IMAG1495.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  85.5 KB
im unsure what to do about the front end
the fairing i got (destroyed front fairing, and no others) will not do.
and a new one is 700$....more than i paid for the bike
i may just do a simple streetfighter look?
not a huge fan of it. but its better than a destroyed fairing? but idk what to do about all the electronics up top

is this a crack in my frame? :/ looks like it. in person it looks like it COULD be just a paint crack. but im not positive.
Name:  IMAG1494.jpg
Views: 111
Size:  35.0 KB

sparknotes main question:
i need a starter relay switch, a kill switch, and a fuel pump relay
where can i get them? or can someone sell me their spares??
thanks a ton!

Old 08-31-2011, 01:43 AM

yup thats a crack, lots of other f1 have this crack too. since the frame is steel it can easily be welded. most people tuck the extra wires under the gas tank to clean the front up. as far as the fuel pump mine just clicks when its running. you can feel a click if you put your hand on it every second or so so what you posted sounds right about just the pump clicking.

if your not gonna use your windscreen pm me if you want to sell it.

Old 08-31-2011, 02:19 PM

alright. ill have to look into getting it welded then

and today ill look at hiding the electronics. but i kinda still want a cluster...ill have to figure that one out.

good to know yours just clicks too

ill see how good of condition the windscreen is. i think its pretty toast

Old 09-01-2011, 02:36 PM

yes it is a crack. my 87s got one in the same place. just a note to say carefull turning your bike over with a car battery i fried 2 cdi boxes doing that, not cheap if u can find one for the year . could also blow the 10 amp ignition fuse the f1s only have 8 amp batterys

Old 09-01-2011, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by 87 cbr 600f
yes it is a crack. my 87s got one in the same place. just a note to say carefull turning your bike over with a car battery i fried 2 cdi boxes doing that, not cheap if u can find one for the year . could also blow the 10 amp ignition fuse the f1s only have 8 amp batterys
ah ok
how do i know if it has a fried cdi?

Old 09-01-2011, 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by 87 cbr 600f
Theres nothing wrong with using a car battery to jump start it as long as the car is off. The bike only pulls what it needs from the battery but when the car is running the cars alternator will recharge the battery sending 60+ amps to the battery and through the jumper cables to your bikes electrical system which will fry stuff.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:36 PM

you cant really test it until you get the main relay back in it. Without it you dont get power to the ignition so the cdi box doesnt get power. That relay powers almost everything not just the starter so if your jumping the battery to the starter its just turning the starter but the rest isnt getting power so you wont be getting spark.

Start with the main relay, wire that up and bypass the killswitch for now. you cant test the fuel pump relay without a main one so it might not be bad.

and also reading how you tested the fuel pump they have a green and black/blue wire not red and black. greeen is ground, black/blue is 12v.

Old 09-01-2011, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Boxdgm
Theres nothing wrong with using a car battery to jump start it as long as the car is off. The bike only pulls what it needs from the battery but when the car is running the cars alternator will recharge the battery sending 60+ amps to the battery and through the jumper cables to your bikes electrical system which will fry stuff.
ah, ok thanks
good to know
the car was off, so i should be fine

Originally Posted by Boxdgm
you cant really test it until you get the main relay back in it. Without it you dont get power to the ignition so the cdi box doesnt get power. That relay powers almost everything not just the starter so if your jumping the battery to the starter its just turning the starter but the rest isnt getting power so you wont be getting spark.

Start with the main relay, wire that up and bypass the killswitch for now. you cant test the fuel pump relay without a main one so it might not be bad.

and also reading how you tested the fuel pump they have a green and black/blue wire not red and black. greeen is ground, black/blue is 12v.
hmmmm that does make sense. i will get my new relay in the mail on sat
but cant put it in until monday night

ill look at everything then

i also have a way to fix my switch. i just have to plastic weld the little holder for the switch inside the housing.
so i wont have to bypass that

the fuel pump is aftermarket oem replacement. the wires on the pump are red/black
the ones on the bikes harness are as you stated

lastly, heres an update from yesterday

[quote author=rocklizzard91 link=topic=13172.msg98470#msg98470 date=1314843765]
Uh oh!
I may have low compression in a couple cylinders :/

My compression gauge is for a car, but it has a rubber adapter to "make it work"on anything. But the gauge didn't fit then so I just put my thumb on the tube end and felt for pressure. The battery was low, so its not the most accurate...but cylinder one was pretty low. 2 was awesome and 3-4 were okish...
I'm kinda nervous. How hard is it to pull the motor and hone and install new rings?

It did start up for a second when he showed me before it ran out of fuel. So maybe its ok?

also,I think the coil plugs were wrong. I think the left knee side did 1&4 and the right knee side did 2&3 is that correct?

Lastly,I cleaned it up more and may still run the stock headlight like this

Cleaned up wiring too

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk
[/quote]

Old 09-03-2011, 01:32 AM

if he got it started it should have compression and unless you chaned the plug wires around that should be right too. I know one coil does 1+4 and the other does 2+3 but im not sure left or right one.

Its looking good, personally id just remove the fairing stay bracket and stock headlight and gauges and run a aftermarket headlight that mounts to the forks and some aftermarket gauges if you really wanna clean it up. Thats what im planning on doing with mine especially now that my clutch side mirror fell off today when the ear it mounts to on the fairing bracket broke off riding today.

Quick Reply: new 1989 cbr600 owner! (in need of some fixes)