Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How to pick up a fallen motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 11:51 PM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Besides Yumi, using your feminine wiles to recruit assistance is a perfectly valid method too
You can be a guy and still get help around here.

Old 04-25-2011, 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
Little ranting.. because I heard it a lot when I decided to get a bike.

I know my risk of dropping so I am super careful when I am coming to stop, what lane, what part of the lane etc. I am a poster child of what a person shouldn't do according to many... shouldn't start riding bike when you are old, shouldn't start with 600, shouldn't lower your bike, shouldn't, shouldn't.... All I can say, my life is full of passions and passions are filled. I will have no regret in future. (Thanks, again, for nice people in Hawaii who might help me get the bike up if I ever drop her)
+1

if i may ask, how long have you been riding ms. yumi?

Old 04-26-2011, 12:01 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by jpanside@gmail.com
+1

if i may ask, how long have you been riding ms. yumi?
Since May 09.

Old 04-28-2011, 06:29 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Although I haven't had to pick my bike up yet, I did pick up a woman's sportbike when she dropped it (at very slow speed. Her husband was on a chopper in front of her and took a right turn. She saw him turn too late I guess, braked and just decided she didn't want to take the turn at all! I lift weights fanatically and just picked the bike up with a deadlift. I do think the reverse way (shown in the vid) would be harder for me on a sportbike because at 6'3" I would have really have to go down low, so I would probably just do a deadlift again. It must be much easier on a bike with hard cases on the sides because it's off the ground much more. The first few inches are the heaviest.\

It must suck to be either short or really weak and have no one to help you!

There is this one guy on youtube called atlasrider. I think he's on a KLR and he's currently touring through South America (or still has to leave... haven't been on his channel for a while). Anyway, there is this this one vid in which he drops the bike on a incline with gravel and then films himself trying to get it up (that's what she said). He's a REALLY skinny guy but eventually managed. I think determination is also quite important.

EDIT: Here's the vid I was talking about:

YouTube - Difficulty Picking Up a Dropped Bike

Last edited by UnderAssumedName; 04-28-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:13 AM

I never had to pick up my F4i before but I have had my 500lb Katana fall before and I just grabbed the bars and stood it up. I imagine I would have more difficulty with a Goldwing or something though :P