Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

How to pick up a fallen motorcycle

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to pick up a fallen motorcycle

So I finally got my frame sliders & decided to lay my bike down on the grass & practice picking it up just in case I ever need to. (My friends put it down carefully) I looked on Youtube and it looked easy enough... when I tried to pick it up it was IMPOSSIBLE. Everyone could pick it up but me, there was no way it was going up. Does anybody have any tips on this?

Name:  bb.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  61.4 KB

Here's the video I looked at
YouTube - NB's F6550GS - How to pick up a motorcycle

Heres a girl picking up her 250... at 1:00minute she crashed and at 2:30 she picks it up.

YouTube - How to Pick up Your Motorcycle... like a girl

Old 04-24-2011, 11:47 PM

accidentally reposted this cause my comp froze sorry !

Old 04-25-2011, 12:11 AM
August 2011 ROTM

I dropped my bike few times. Even though 600rr is the lightest bike in the category, even though I was mad that I dropped it, even with frame sliders on, I could not pick it up. Luckily we have tons of nice people in Hawaii who have not seen a bike down, they come and help. lol

The harley way will not work on 600rr from my experience. Someone showed me a way one time. You grab the front brake and keep the front wheel facing away from you, meaning in the direction that you are gonna push up. Then you push forward the bike. It will come up.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:18 AM

nooooooooooo do not lay your bike down just to practice picking her up! yes, perhaps watch a vid demonstration but dont lay the beauty down. imo.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:21 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by jpanside@gmail.com
nooooooooooo do not lay your bike down just to practice picking her up! yes, perhaps watch a vid demonstration but dont lay the beauty down. imo.
yea, I agree. But I am sure it is just for short time..

Old 04-25-2011, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
I dropped my bike few times. Even though 600rr is the lightest bike in the category, even though I was mad that I dropped it, even with frame sliders on, I could not pick it up. Luckily we have tons of nice people in Hawaii who have not seen a bike down, they come and help. lol

The harley way will not work on 600rr from my experience. Someone showed me a way one time. You grab the front brake and keep the front wheel facing away from you, meaning in the direction that you are gonna push up. Then you push forward the bike. It will come up.
Yeah it's nice if you have good people around you, would be great to be able to do it myself though but don't know if it's possible anymore after trying today lol.

Originally Posted by jpanside@gmail.com
it was gently placed down no worries... got spools &frame sliders too.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:26 AM
August 2011 ROTM

If you ever fall, try that one that holding the front brake. That was getting there more than that push with your butt and use your leg way for me. But I am small, so that may have something to do with it.
But anyhow.. you don't want to lay it down even gentle if you don't have to. It's not just outside. She got liquids in her.

Old 04-25-2011, 12:43 AM

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
If you ever fall, try that one that holding the front brake. That was getting there more than that push with your butt and use your leg way for me. But I am small, so that may have something to do with it.
But anyhow.. you don't want to lay it down even gentle if you don't have to. It's not just outside. She got liquids in her.
yeah im not planning on laying her down again anytime soon.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:26 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The girl in that vid was so bloody scared of gravel being on the road, no wonder she decked it. 1st rule of bike riding, bike will go where your looking. She was peaking about gravel even before she got to that road, although putting her stand down was a good idea, bad luck if it fell on the other side. Any way, when ever I have dropped my bike, I'm so pumped up on adrenalin I reckon I could have lift it & hang over my shoulder.
I've seen people use a few different methods, that one seems reasonable. Makes more sense than the "How to pick up women" vid I saw once.

Last edited by pacemaker; 04-25-2011 at 01:29 AM.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:32 AM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by pacemaker
Any way, when ever I have dropped my bike, I'm so pumped up on adrenalin I reckon I could have lift it & hang over my shoulder.
I never got my adrenalin to pumped up enough to pick my bike up. Maybe I don't get as mad as I should be when I do some stupid thing like dropping my bike.

Quick Reply: How to pick up a fallen motorcycle