Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

hey gun people

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2007, 06:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hey gun people

ORIGINAL: Ty

I gotta disagree with just about everybody here. If your wife is going to be shooting it, you need to take that into account. It's better to hit someone with a .22 three times than with a .40 once. Get something she can handle that doesn't weigh too much and is easy for her to fire. It'll make her feel a lot more comfortable about using it. And to anyone who poses the reliablility argument, no offense but they aren't at war here. I doubt that the weapon will be exposed to the elements or severely banged around in their house. You should probably be more concerned with the bullets rusting from non-use, LOL. There is a whole slew of new weapons made for low recoil self defense, check your local gun shop. remember, the bullets are way more important than the gun.

Any woman can handle a 9mm, .40, or a .45. I watched a bunch of shotting clips on youtube last night and women that weigh light 100's where shooting .50 revolvers.

.22 bullets are considered more dangerous than most bullets, being that they dont exit the body and they can recachade off of bones.

Another thing is those .22 semi autos can cost just as much as a 9mm. I'd rather buy a pistol that I can change the barrel out to a .22 caliber and back if need be.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:57 PM

this is my shotty .next i want to get an ar15
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 10-04-2007, 01:00 AM
Friend and Hero ...

So now we're looking for something compact with a hell of a lot of not down well take a look. It is an honest to God, Russian Kalashnikov AKM yes. A real one. Not a knock off AK-47, but one of the rarest ones ever made. It has a MILLED receiver with the paperwork and stamp and a Russian 75 round drum

Old 10-04-2007, 01:36 AM

Verynice! Made a long time ago and still kicks ***! What do rounds cost for that?

Old 10-04-2007, 06:44 AM

I have shot 5 pistols that i can remember, My roommates sig p220 .45, his 1911 .45, my other roommates .357 (I think smith&wesson), another .357 at the range and a beretta 9mm (not sure which model) I have fired the .45s the most, a few trips to the range, 100 - 200 rounds each trip, and thats what i would choose if i was getting a self defence gun for my self.. I liked shooting the 1911 more but would rather have a sig because its double action. 9mm was fun to shoot but I couldnt see it doing nearly as much damage. Although it would be much more managable for your wife to shoot, either way take her to the range have her shoot ALOT. my friend took his GF and she hit the ceiling a few times, not rapid fire, she just couldnt hold it strait and pull the trigger at same time. (she is not the sharpest knife in the drawer though).

Old 10-04-2007, 10:14 AM

my dad has one of the kel tec ones....this one.....

http://www.kel-tec-cnc.com/p3at.html he loves it, and eveyone raves about them.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:04 PM

The kel-tecs can be snappy on the hands. If you really want a pistol for home defense, then get the biggest size (not calibre) gun you and your wife can shoot comfortably, like duty-size weapons, such as a PX4 (the .45ACPversion is coming soon) which has an adjustable backstrap, Heckler & Koch USP series, Sig P22X, Glock 17, 19, or 20, S&W M&P, Colt 1911, etc.

Old 10-04-2007, 01:14 PM
Ty

Hardcorp - I'm not saying that a reliable weapon isn't important. I'm just saying that for around the house and some occasional range trips, nearly any weapon of major brand name will suffice. You are obviously in a different situation as you put more rounds through a firearm than probably the rest of us combined. That kind of use can exploit the small imperfections that would not affect the normal shooter. I do agree, that in a combat situation, it is far more important to have a top-shelf weapon than in everyday life. You don't know if your going to have your weapon in the rain, underwater, covered in dirt, crazy altitudes, thousands of rounds in a day, or anything else until it happens.

Basically any gun off the shelf at a reputable gun shop will be sufficient for normal use. Clean it every few months and rotate your ammo and your all set. The size and caliber of the gun are not nearly as important as the ammo that goes in it. A jacketed .22 isn't gonna hurt much if it doesn't hit anything important, but a +P Hydrashok .22 will get your attention. I personally carry a Taurus PT745 .45 with either Black Talon or Federal EFMJ +P rounds. I got some extras like a laser and the light for it, but those are pretty worthless around the house. If I can't hit you in the hallway without a laser sight, I shouldn't be shooting. Longer range is NOT this weapon's stong point, so even if the laser is in the same spot on the target, I have a nice spraypaint effect from 50 yards and out. That's what you get for buying a subcompact .45 though, LOL.

Again, no disrespect here. I trust that you are FAR more knowledgeable about guns than I ever will be. I just think that sometimes it's OK to get a cheaper, but still name-brand, weapon and that it will work fine in a home defense setting if properly cared for. I think the more you shoot a weapon, the more money you should spend on it. If it's just gonna lay around, no point in paying top dollar.

And by the way, where in the hell did you get that Kalishnikov (sp)? I wouldn't mind having one of those around just in case I need to mow down a crowd, LOL.

Old 10-04-2007, 08:31 PM
Friend and Hero ...

It looks to me that you have done some serious research and put in some trigger time and are reasonably knowledgeable on the subject don't sell yourself short, particularly impressed by your personal piece. The 45 has never let me down when I needed it, and I put my life behind it every time I gear up. When you get away from the rules of engagement and look at the rounds that are available. I am a firm believer in going for something extremely devastating. There is a round it was developed by company called Horizons Unlimited for the US border patrol. Let's take your 45cal for instance, and look at it is a triplex round, but not in a normal sense. The round is designed so that when it makes contact with soft tissue or ballistics gel of course. It breaks into three separate pieces the tip cuts a 45° angle away from the entry wound, the secondary piece breaks off and goes 45° in the opposite direction and both of them will cut a wound cavity up to 9 inches in length,EVERTIME ! while the back core piece of the round expands out to a whopping 70 cal and will cut straight through high-density gel, up to 15 1/2 inches thick and exit EVERTIME. Most combatants are not 15 inches thick all of us are over 15 inches in circumference, but not all of us are 15 inches cut straight through the middle. They were found to be inhumane for use by the border patrol and can be picked up if you know where to look. The round was nicknamed the annihilator. I like it and the black talent the best. I really wish though you would reconsider on the 22 issue regardless of the round chambered. I just feel it's in adequate especially if someone ends up confronting a DRUG enhanced combatant. They better damn well be proficient enough to make those round count and still don't think it would be effective enough to take them all the way out
Now as far as the AKM goes I purchased it several years ago from a local North Carolina Class 3 Dealer it cost me well over a month pay, but I was single back then LOL
I have only purchased 3 firearms since being married, but that's the price you pay for love and supporting a family . I very seldom do a recreational shooting anymore actually have about four pieces that have never had a round put through them I have a couple of pieces packed away in grease

Old 10-04-2007, 08:33 PM
Friend and Hero ...

ORIGINAL: Juggernaut

like duty-size weapons, such as a PX4 (the .45ACPversion is coming soon) which has an adjustable backstrap, Heckler & Koch USP series, Sig P22X, Glock 17, 19, or 20, S&W M&P, Colt 1911, etc.
+++++ 1

Quick Reply: hey gun people