Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

hey gun people

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 11:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hey gun people

Here's an add-on question to the topic.

Even tho I'm in a brick home, there is still walls that dont leave protection from a bullet. Incase you dont know, pretty every wall (not including the "main" walls, talking about the walls inside the house) is just two pieces of sheet rock and 2x4's running up and down every 16 - 24 inches and no insulation. THATS IT!!! So a bullet can go thru them like butter.

Here's the questions.

I dont want to take a chance of a bullet leaving my house or going thru the "bad guy" and then thru the wall. So...............

For a shotgun, what would be a good shell to use? I'm thinking bird shot? Anybody sell bean bag shells?

For a 9mil? Just use the smallest grain?

and so on for other pistols.

I've never been in a sitituation that I've had to use a gun against someone and I know humans can take multiple shots and still move. I just always hear people putting the biggest/strongest bullets in their guns.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:36 PM

My personal favorite is the Beretta 92 series. I have a 92 FSBrigadier in 9mm (9mm = 92, .40 = 96). The nice thing, as you said you wanted one that isn't too much of a bear to shoot, is the 9mm is really light on recoil and the Beretta 92 has good weight, so it's not at all punishing. Cost new is about $600-650, depending where you get it.
If you want something really simple that will always work and is relatively cheap, get a 2" snub .38 smith...don't bother with the .357 because it'll beat your hand after a lot of range time, unless you run .38's through it.

Old 10-02-2007, 11:46 PM

I read about some type of jelly or gel bullet some time ago. It was designed to not be as deadly if it penetrated a hard surface like a wall. They were supposed to splat and something like that. I could not find the article! Check this out though, pretty cool. Made in 9mm too.Rubber bullet. http://www.meisterbullets.com/asccus...-Cal./514.html I have no idea if they have been tested for self defense, but Im sure it would really **** off an intruder even though the idea is to stop one dead in their tracks.
If you are really worried about going through a wall, I imagine that the lighter grain bullet would stop faster. They do in most of the tests I have seen.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:04 AM

ORIGINAL: motoxxx43

I read about some type of jelly or gel bullet some time ago. It was designed to not be as deadly if it penetrated a hard surface like a wall. They were supposed to splat and something like that. I could not find the article! Check this out though, pretty cool. Made in 9mm too.Rubber bullet. http://www.meisterbullets.com/asccus...-Cal./514.html I have no idea if they have been tested for self defense, but Im sure it would really **** off an intruder even though the idea is to stop one dead in their tracks.
If you are really worried about going through a wall, I imagine that the lighter grain bullet would stop faster. They do in most of the tests I have seen.

Thanks.

Old 10-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Friend and Hero ...

I mean absolutely no offense to you, but I wouldn't carry a Beretta to a whorehouse. Force Recon put it through its paces and found it unacceptable for real-world conditions regardless of what the DOD thinks If you do a little research you'll find that we stuck with the 45. And we do not have a 45 frame in rotation now. That was manufactured after 1945 they are put together at the precise weapon shop to our build specifications. These frames are good for up to 500,000 rounds. And that's no joke these frames are x-rayed and inspected long before 500,000 rounds and a rebuilt time and again of course, that is the frame not the slide, barrel, or any other internal component, we also field-tested in real-world conditions the SoCom Mark 45 found nothing impressive about it other then it is as heavy as brick not going to go into great detail with this. But was in coordinated action with some U.S. Army personnel, clearing a residence a officer with a 9 mm unloaded 10 rounds center mass into combatant before he hit the floor and not before he had dumped 30 round in our direction. Moments after that, on the second floor, a Marine with a precise weapon shop Rock Island 45 double tapped a combatant center mass and he went to the floor quickly and quietly so I will say, while the 10 mm is my favorite. The 45 and 40 run a close second, and I would prefer 10 mm in the field, but it ain't happening

Old 10-03-2007, 12:34 AM

Hey Hardcorp, is the military using the OICW advance assualt rifle??? I remember when it was announced, but havent heard too much about it lately.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...round/oicw.htm

A gun shop here in town has guns galore. From tiny pistols to .50 sniping rifles.

I saw two FN P90's on the table. I'd give my left nut for one of those.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:25 AM
Ty

I gotta disagree with just about everybody here. If your wife is going to be shooting it, you need to take that into account. It's better to hit someone with a .22 three times than with a .40 once. Get something she can handle that doesn't weigh too much and is easy for her to fire. It'll make her feel a lot more comfortable about using it. And to anyone who poses the reliablility argument, no offense but they aren't at war here. I doubt that the weapon will be exposed to the elements or severely banged around in their house. You should probably be more concerned with the bullets rusting from non-use, LOL. There is a whole slew of new weapons made for low recoil self defense, check your local gun shop. remember, the bullets are way more important than the gun.

Old 10-03-2007, 07:35 AM

Just my .o2 cents...get an older Ruger. I have a P89 9mm that I picked up at a show a few years ago for around $300 with plenty of mags to go with it. My fience likes to shoot it and it's very reliable. It is a large frame pistol just so you know. Take her to Gander Mountan and look at ever one in the case...okay maybe not every one...but that way you get an idea of size safety and weight.

I also have a Ruger MKII which is a .22cal that is great to have...nothin wrong with that either.

Old 10-03-2007, 09:53 AM

Hey HARDCORP, when you said Rock Island, are you reffering to the Rock Island Armory company? A friend of mine picked one up really cheap, like 2 or 3 hun new. It was heavy and didnt shoot well at all. The slide of the gun even inflicted wounds to the hands of those who shot it! Needless to say he got rid of it and purchased a much more worthy pistol, a Colt Mark IV. BIG difference!

TY- When I lived in Cali there was this thing on the evening news like 10 years ago involving a person getting shot 11 times in the chest with a .22. The guy lived anddid not suffer any long-term or life changing wounds. Pretty amazing! But then again,I have heard of smallerbullets hitting a limb and following a bone into a larger body cavity.

Old 10-03-2007, 11:35 AM

I purchased a S&W Military and Police addition 9mm for home protection. Its a great gun, small and compact yet doesn't provide so much of a kick that my girlfriend can't use it if i'm not there.

Quick Reply: hey gun people